U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 12:00 PM

16,972 posts, read 4,967,940 times

Advertisements

I think Jitsi is for personal use within families and small groups.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 05:03 PM

41,823 posts, read 45,197,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I think Jitsi is for personal use within families and small groups.

A quick check says it's open source and released under the Apache license which means anyone can use it however they wish including modifying the code for their own version. They may even be able to sell it, not sure what the specific of the copyright entails but it's usually used the other way around to limit capitalization. e.g. you may be able to sell it once but whoever you sell it to has all original licensing transferred to them allowing to give it away.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM

5,749 posts, read 1,872,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You do understand of course that it's not the app that Zoom wants...it's the expertise of the team.
You do not understand that Keybase users want the app, not Zoom. It's Keybase users that are getting the short end of the stick here. A perfectly good app ruined.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM

14,049 posts, read 7,091,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You do not understand that Keybase users want the app, not Zoom. It's Keybase users that are getting the short end of the stick here. A perfectly good app ruined.
Well, blame Keybase management. It’s a private company so they didn’t have to sell to Zoom.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:15 AM

14,127 posts, read 21,885,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
And Leo LaPorte said people don't like change so they will stick with Zoom even if Jitsi is much better.
You have a link to a comparison, or an explanation of his reasons for stating that? Or is he just stating his opinion? Zoom is working well for us. I will look at others, but I need more than a statement “x is better than zoom”. I would like to see objective comparisons of features.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:53 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,492,742 times
https://beebom.com/best-zoom-alternatives/

Old 05-12-2020, 11:21 AM

5,749 posts, read 1,872,422 times
Quote:
Well, blame Keybase management. It’s a private company so they didn’t have to sell to Zoom.
Why would anyone blame management? Managers at a company don't own the company and broker such deals. Have you ever worked for a company before?

Do you think Andreessen Horowitz is actually on payroll?

This isn't about blame. Another poster simply pointed out that security experts have brought up concerns around the industry leading security company being purchased by a video company with a lack of concern for security -- until it hit the press.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:27 PM

14,049 posts, read 7,091,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Why would anyone blame management? Managers at a company don't own the company and broker such deals. Have you ever worked for a company before?

Do you think Andreessen Horowitz is actually on payroll?

This isn't about blame. Another poster simply pointed out that security experts have brought up concerns around the industry leading security company being purchased by a video company with a lack of concern for security -- until it hit the press.
Not only have I "worked for a company before" but have done tech M&A on the sell and buy side. I said management not "managers".

Keybase had ~25 employees with an annual revenue estimated at around $1.5M, and got their Series A in 2015. As I haven't seen any additional funding rounds it's possible they were running out of cash, or were struggling against their competition.

As the terms of the deal weren't made public, I'm going to assume it was under $50M. Maybe much less.

As to Andreessen, I'm 100% sure had the company been ready for a Series B or if this was a unicorn in the making they wouldn't have sold out. So perhaps nobody had a choice, and had they not sold they might have folded.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:35 AM

1,970 posts, read 932,805 times
Quote:
Not only have I "worked for a company before" but have done tech M&A on the sell and buy side. I said management not "managers".

Keybase had ~25 employees with an annual revenue estimated at around $1.5M, and got their Series A in 2015. As I haven't seen any additional funding rounds it's possible they were running out of cash, or were struggling against their competition.

As the terms of the deal weren't made public, I'm going to assume it was under $50M. Maybe much less.

As to Andreessen, I'm 100% sure had the company been ready for a Series B or if this was a unicorn in the making they wouldn't have sold out. So perhaps nobody had a choice, and had they not sold they might have folded.
What does "management" of Keybase have to do with anything? Also, Andreessen was not actively managing the company. Management doesn't make the decision around selling the company. It looks like you're claiming to have more M&A knowledge than you do.

Back on topic here. There's lots of good alternatives to zoom. Facetime and Meet are great as well. Don't get all hyped about the keybase purchase. Zoom's management hasn't changed.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:28 AM

14,127 posts, read 21,885,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
That's a nice review but doesn't get into the details enough. We already use Zoom, so we want to see a more detailed comparison. We'll probably just have to do it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet