Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 02:59 PM

508 posts, read 527,120 times

Advertisements

Thanks for responding to my prior threads.

I stared my internet with Broadstripe with my own Docsys 3.0 modem. I did not have any issues with this.

The Astound took over broadstripe in our area. I am finding intermittent internet drop while working. This is not regular, but happening on and off.

We reached out to Astound customer service, who sent a tech to check. The tech reported to them, that out modem in not Astound compliant. They want us to sign up for their combo modem to resolve this issue.

We find many cistomer, who use their modem in our community , experience the same issue.

Astound says their modem is Docsys 3.1 and ours is Docsys 3.0, which is causing our intermittent internet drop issues.

I did not see a reason for minor version variance (3.0 to 3.1) can cause these issues.

Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 09:49 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
It may look minor to you, but it's not IF you have gigabit speeds because 3.0 doesn't support gigabit.
What speed do you have? What is current equipment? It certainly could be true that yours doesn't work well with theirs. There should be a list somewhere of equipment they approve of.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:51 AM

508 posts, read 527,120 times
Thanks for weighing in. I am not using gigabit. My speed is 100-500 mbps. Mine is only regular internet usage.

I am using my own modem/router:

MODEM Linksys CM 3008
Router Linksys EA6400

The reported issues happening on and OFF.

We find that the same issue is happening to other Astound customers in our community. These customers has astound provided equipment.

What is their tech team rational here? We like to understand the issues better.

We noticed that past weeks days we did not experience such intermittent drops .

Thanks for your insight.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:11 AM

Well if it's happening to everyone it probably isn't the equipment, however, your router is pretty old. Looks like released in 2013. Certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade that.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:39 PM

111 posts, read 57,859 times
From: https://www.astound.com/support/inte...our-own-modem/

What type of modem should I bring for speeds of 1 Gbps (up to 940 Mbps) or lower?

DOCSIS 3.1
Compatible with most of our available speed tiers
32 Downstream Channels
Offers optimal performance, speed capability and stability
Currently the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 is known to have problems connecting to the Astound Broadband network. Additionally, EURODOCSIS cable modems are not supported in the United States.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:21 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
You need to get rid of that Docsis 3.0 modem and get a 3.1 modem. There is a big difference between the two. At some point, your ISP will force you to switch.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You need to get rid of that Docsis 3.0 modem and get a 3.1 modem. There is a big difference between the two. At some point, your ISP will force you to switch.
That's not true at all. There is almost no benefit to someone running 400m to upgrade to 3.1. Only someone running a gig or more is being handicapped by a 3.0 modem.

From Astounds own web page:

I have my own modem, but it is not 3.1 DOCSIS. Can I still use it?
If you wish to use your own modem, and it is not the recommended 3.1 DOCSIS modem you can use DOCSIS 3.0 with 32 downstream channels, however, to receive the following speeds, please note the limitations on performance for non 3.1 DOCSIS modems

Speeds up to 1 Gig (940 Mbps) – DOCSIS 3.1 modem.
Maximum speeds up to 400 Mbps – DOCSIS 3.0 modem (32 or 24 channels down)
Maximum speeds of up to 250 Mbps – DOCSIS 3.0 modem (16 channels down) or better.
Currently the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 is known to have problems connecting to the Astound Broadband network. Additionally, EURODOCSIS cable modems are not supported in the United States

Old 11-09-2022, 02:27 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's not true at all. There is almost no benefit to someone running 400m to upgrade to 3.1. Only someone running a gig or more is being handicapped by a 3.0 modem.
Ditto. The chipset technology the modem vendor uses is way more important than what DOCSIS version the modem is using. Unless the person's service is above 500Mbits d/l, DOCSIS 3.0 is perfectly fine.
If buying new anyway, then it'd be wiser to opt for a supported 3.1 modem, instead.

Always check with your ISP to see what makes/models they recommend, if buying your own. That is the key starting point when shopping for a new modem.
Heck, you could even call the Tech Support line of your ISP and check. They'd more than likely share what makes/models work the best, which ones to avoid, etc.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Always check with your ISP to see what makes/models they recommend, if buying your own. That is the key starting point when shopping for a new modem.
And I THOUGHT it was now a federal law that every broadband provider HAD to offer this information. I know ALL the big ones do.

Example from my isp: https://www.breezeline.com/assets/do...ved_modems.pdf
Can't find anything official from Astound but there is this 3rd party site.
https://approvedmodemlist.com/

Old 11-15-2022, 09:13 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Like others have said, its time to upgrade your modem. I pulled this approved modem list from your provider's website and there are a lot that are mentioned here.

I have the very first one listed - the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 which is on your list and it is a GREAT modem/router combo. I have have the Nighthawk CM2000 (modem only) and have ZERO issues/problems with it. I also use it with an Asus RT-AX86u router. LOVE this set up.

https://approvedmodemlist.com/wave-approved-modems/

You are already doing the right/smart thing by having your own modem instead of paying for your provider's modem. You really just need to upgrade because, odds are, those "other people" you are talking to who say they have issues may also be using either an old modem (like you) or the company provided cheaper modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet