Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:18 PM

194 posts, read 425,066 times

Advertisements

I had been using Yahoo as a browser home page for a long time. Got tired of their over the top left leaning bias, so I dropped them and had been using Google news page for a while. Granted you can personalize Google by increasing/decreasing news sources it still shows more liberal media then conservative ones. Also Google news isn't as lively as Yahoo was.

I don't want a hard core news only site as a home page. I can click on a Fox, Breitbart, Drudge or Town Hall bookmark if I want to. I was hoping for a varied start page. I did like how Yahoo would display sports, entertainment, tech, ect.

Any home pages out there one would recommend?

BTW - I do NOT want to engage in a political exchange here ...so NO TROLLS please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Most Browsers support opening multiple tabs for homepage, not sure about the others but for FF:

http://google.com | http://espn.com | http://foxnews.com

Old 02-04-2017, 07:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
LOL I've been tired of them since the 90s. Google used to be OK, but now their searches are mainly ads and they track your search history etc. Now Kinkytoes uses: duckduckgo.com

There is nothing on the page but the search bar. And then I can search for what I want instead of having the website try to feed me some information. It is up to you, if you want to see a page with some pre-selected options, you can try the ones above.

Another benefit is that without all of the pics and ads on the page, the page loads faster. I'm not sure about liberal or conservative, the mainstream media is all the same IMO. For instance Bloomberg now hosts Fox News on the weekends. Hopefully you will just try to read actual news, without bias of any kind.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 PM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
Quote:
BTW - I do NOT want to engage in a political exchange here ...so NO TROLLS please.
Your post is the troll IMO. If you are interested in having only right wing (alternate fact) news. Why don't you ask about it on one of those right wing sites instead of here?

Or, you could simply ask "How can I personalize my home page?" See? Instead you choose to mention those extremist sites including the despicable Brightbart = troll

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I don't know about any other browsers than Safari, but I imagine that just like Safari you can change the settings so that a blank page appears whenever you start your browser. But I have mine set so that the Apple page appears instead, and all the news sources that I want are in a "news" folder that shows on the menu bar. I just click on the folder and choose Drudge, or any other of several news sources.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Your post is the troll IMO. If you are interested in having only right wing (alternate fact) news. Why don't you ask about it on one of those right wing sites instead of here?

Or, you could simply ask "How can I personalize my home page?" See? Instead you choose to mention those extremist sites including the despicable Brightbart = troll
This is not a right nor left-wing website. It would be much more helpful to tell the OP how to "personalize" his homepage than to express your displeasure about what he wrote. By helping the OP you may be helping others who may be in the same predicament as he (or she, whatever the case may be) is in.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
So the OP does not like the news aggregators like Yahoo or Google News because of perceived bias. I don't know of any right leaning news aggregators, but that does not mean they don't exist. I just don't look for them.

The OP might seach with these key words or similar: "right leaning news aggregators". There are solutions out there.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Protopage - Free Personalized Start Pages

http://www.ighome.com/

Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 PM

194 posts, read 425,066 times

Thanks Peregine. That is just the information that I was looking for.

Since this is the 'internet' section of CD forums, I figured this is WHERE I should post my question on a browser start page and not on a 'right wing site'.

...you provided just facts without the usual screaming meltdown shown by *others* when someone wishes to speak an opinion.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Is this baiting to try to funnel traffic to the links above? Kinkytoes is back, and not to click on links for external web pages. Isn't the most conservative home page the one with the least cr_p on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet