U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,133,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Ok, didn't notice the word "SOME." So the OP didn't know what kid, but then I would also ask how does he know it is a kid and not an adult?

However, as for theft of service; most cable companies have it in the agreement that only the household that the internet is provided can use it. It would be against the contract and some will take an active role and go after who is taping into your wifi. But yes, they have to know who.

Actually the reason to report it would partially be to keep from the cable company claim you were part of the 'conspiracy to steal cable service' That has been the popular thing around here in the last year or so. Go after the person who is providing the internet to neighbors. The cases they publicize claim that the provider was 'a willing participant'. So if you report it to the company even if you don't know who is doing it and get 'the company's assistance in better securing your network' it gets you off the hook. That was another tactic they used on my neighbor when he decided to replace their modem/router with his own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 10:20 AM

13,780 posts, read 6,884,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Ok, didn't notice the word "SOME." So the OP didn't know what kid, but then I would also ask how does he know it is a kid and not an adult?

However, as for theft of service; most cable companies have it in the agreement that only the household that the internet is provided can use it. It would be against the contract and some will take an active role and go after who is taping into your wifi. But yes, they have to know who.
I agree that it’s in the agreement but I could see it being enforced more for sharing than illegal usage (i.e., several families intentionally sharing one connection).

Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM

41,823 posts, read 45,023,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I don't know about disabling it. A neighbor was told he couldn't, that it was part of the agreement.

If it's Comcast you need to login into account to disable it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...i-home-hotspot

Quote:
His concern was that someone could use equipment that he was renting (and therefore in possession of for illegal purposes)
It's isolated and AFAIK it's even separate external IP. The other thing is you need to login with Comcast account credentials to use it. When you connect you get bounced to a Comcast login page before you can use it. Any of that traffic is going to be associated with the account that logged in.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,133,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If it's Comcast you need to login into account to disable it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot
I just know what he was told by their online tech support. They told him that part of the agreement 'to get the upgraded service' (We had no idea what the upgraded service was, thru-put was the same as mine) that they could use the hotspot. So we pulled their box out and put in a spare surfboard I had. We hooked up the router he had and had tech support configure it for his equipment. He turned in the rented equipment the next day and made sure they took it off his bill.

Quote:
It's isolated and AFAIK it's even separate external IP. The other thing is you need to login with Comcast account credentials to use it. When you connect you get bounced to a Comcast login page before you can use it. Any of that traffic is going to be associated with the account that logged in.

He has been involved in several computer security cases. His comment was that it is not settled case law and he doesn't want to even be near having a hotspot that could be involved in a court case and having the location (his home) entered in as evidence or as part of a search warrant. Paranoid - maybe, but you get that way when you have been in court a few times because people have used your companies servers to bounce nefarious traffic off.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:48 AM

12,733 posts, read 10,413,173 times
Update. After changing the password the following day we had uninterrupted wifi. Also got the ISP provided app to work to more easily monitor what devices are or were connected to our home’s wifi and more easily able to block unwanted devices. Once I verified our approved devices I put on block all the unions devices that had previously connected to our home’s wifi. The next day or two during the day time we kept getting kicked off our wifi. Ever since then our wifi has been uninterrupted. I’m guessing our neighbor kept trying to access our wifi repeatedly then got fed up and quit. Every few days I check to ensure no new devices have connected. I did have to turn on the WPS once to enable connecting our wireless printer to allow us to print from our phones or tablets. Was seriously tempted to knock on my neighbor’s door to ask if they knew anyone named Daniel who had an iPhone 9S. Only two homes are close enough for a steady signal and one of the two homes is an elderly retired nurse who lives alone and the other has a large family with high school and college students. The other two homes may get a signal but not strong and steady enough to be taking so much bandwidth.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM

1,962 posts, read 920,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I found it in the advance settings. When I clicked to enable MAC filter it says I have to disable WPS. Not sure yet how to disable WPS.why can’t it be as easy as an administrative logon with “BLOCK/UNBLOCK” next to each device?
Disable WPS. It's a major security flaw and should never be used.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 920,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You can do it on any router that has a MAC filter.

A MAC filter allows you to maintain a list of authorized devices, any device not on the list will not gain access.

A MAC is a number in hex that identifies each network device. It's like a fingerprint.

First you need to see a list of attached devices and identify the good ones. Add those one at a time to the MAC filter and enable the MAC filter..

The steps to do this will vary, depending on which router you have. You should be able to do it on the router your ISP provides. Call them, get a user and password for the router and have them guide you through it.
This is very misleading. Yes, you can filter by MAC address, but a MAC address is hardly a fingerprint. Fingerprints can't be changed... MAC addresses can. A device can have any MAC address you want it to if you know what you are doing. That is why MAC address filtering is not considered a strong security practice (although it is better than nothing).

It's similar to not broadcasting SSID. It's not considered a strong security practice, but it is better than nothing.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:02 PM

4,964 posts, read 3,465,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
This is very misleading. Yes, you can filter by MAC address, but a MAC address is hardly a fingerprint. Fingerprints can't be changed... MAC addresses can. A device can have any MAC address you want it to if you know what you are doing. That is why MAC address filtering is not considered a strong security practice (although it is better than nothing).

It's similar to not broadcasting SSID. It's not considered a strong security practice, but it is better than nothing.
Yes, it's not 100% secure and it is better than nothing. A combination of things would be best. A strong WPA2 password and only WPA2 security, no broadcast on the SSID and a MAC Filter. All three should assure a secure wifi but especially the first option which the OP should have already had in place?

A savvy hacker can eavesdrop and pick up the MAC but it's not easy to hack a strong PW with 14 or more characters. Max length on a passphrase is 63 characters! It is still possible though, not easy but possible. I doubt the OP's neighbors are that savvy but you never know. They sound like just kids.

I found this article on this very thing. Like i said, still possible.
https://www.howtogeek.com/202441/you...E2%80%99s-how/

Last edited by gguerra; 06-03-2020 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-03-2020, 08:19 PM

13,780 posts, read 6,884,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes, it's not 100% secure and it is better than nothing. A combination of things would be best. A strong WPA2 password and only WPA2 security, no broadcast on the SSID and a MAC Filter. All three should assure a secure wifi but especially the first option which the OP should have already had in place?

A savvy hacker can eavesdrop and pick up the MAC but it's not easy to hack a strong PW with 14 or more characters. Max length on a passphrase is 63 characters! It is still possible though, not easy but possible. I doubt the OP's neighbors are that savvy but you never know. They sound like just kids.

I found this article on this very thing. Like i said, still possible.
https://www.howtogeek.com/202441/you...E2%80%99s-how/
I tried sniffing my network and cracking my own password with a Linux setup. I’m sure given enough patience I could have done it but it’s not trivial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet