U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 PM

194 posts, read 107,605 times

Advertisements

Because back then you had to know how a computer worked before you could get on the internet. And back then everything required a seperate irq# and if something had the same irq it would brick the computer and when modems came seperate. The only way back then you would get on the internet is if you were a college student,military,worked for the government or knew someone in those fields. And back then you couldn't get on the internet using a cell phone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 06:02 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,461,375 times
By the early-mid 1990s, I was using a dial up ISP on a desktop with an internal modem at home. I think it was a Dell. In the office we had a LAN with internet access, which was a fairly common set up in the corporate world. Cell phones at the time made telephone calls, if you could lift one.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:16 PM

14,385 posts, read 8,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
By the early-mid 1990s, I was using a dial up ISP on a desktop with an internal modem at home. I think it was a Dell. In the office we had a LAN with internet access, which was a fairly common set up in the corporate world. Cell phones at the time made telephone calls, if you could lift one.
I was the same, but with a Gateway 2000. 56K modem which was a big upgrade from my previous 9600, 1200 and 300 bps modems.

By the mid 90’s the company I worked at had internet access via a fractional T1 line (256K speed for a company of 90 people).

My first cell phone was around 1991, which was like a brick, and cost a fortune.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:38 AM

14,380 posts, read 22,462,339 times
It was dialup internet using something like AOL. I kinda liked AOL, but once we got cable, I completely forgot about dialup and I do not miss it.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 AM

7,211 posts, read 4,849,601 times
It was good because it was new, free and wild. You suddenly had access to so much. And it did not impact your life in a negative way.

Now is a completely different story (not that I don't like the internet, it's just become massively influential in every aspect of life that it's hard to remember how it used to be, and sometimes you just miss it).

I would say though that the big change was the introduction of smartphones and 3G. 2007 was not that different from 1997 in a way.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 15,890,882 times
You enjoyed irq conflicts?

Old 06-04-2020, 08:11 AM

10,120 posts, read 13,047,067 times
Ahhh ... the good old days when Mosaic, Netscape and AOL were kings of the worldwide web on the new 'information highway!'

Old 06-04-2020, 08:21 AM

5,355 posts, read 9,328,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Because back then you had to know how a computer worked before you could get on the internet. And back then everything required a seperate irq# and if something had the same irq it would brick the computer and when modems came seperate. The only way back then you would get on the internet is if you were a college student,military,worked for the government or knew someone in those fields. And back then you couldn't get on the internet using a cell phone.
And how does any of this make it better than today?

I remember having to write batch commands to bind protocols to network cards (NE2000 anyone?), being on my hands and knees looking for open BNC connections that broke the entire network bus, resolving IP conflicts when DHCP was simply not really used, or configure the comm timing for CSU/DSUs on T1 lines (Cisco 2100 routers?)... I'm not sure I would call those "good times" though.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,245,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was the same, but with a Gateway 2000. 56K modem which was a big upgrade from my previous 9600, 1200 and 300 bps modems. .
Yes! The old Gateway 2000 with the cow boxes! Loved that thing... it replaced our Amega, which replaced our Commodore 64. (Although, I think we actually still own the older 2, and I think they still work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Ahhh ... the good old days when Mosaic, Netscape and AOL were kings of the worldwide web on the new 'information highway!'
Yes! And Lycos and AltaVista were my search engines of choice.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM

194 posts, read 107,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You enjoyed irq conflicts?

Well on some sites i used to get bullied by people who have told me to go outside of the house.

I have gone outside of the house to take walks and such.

But i think they have a different definition of "going outside the house" than me.

Funny that they never got in trouble for it.

I wonder if the people who were insulting me were around when the internet was first getting started.

There was a lot less people who were normies back then, vs the early adopters.

Early adopters

Prefer niche media
- Described as weird or strange
- Consume media at a slower pace
- Extremely observant and aware
- Prefer quality content and functionality

normies.

The majority
- Target audience for the mainstream
- Like easy to consume media
- Trend Followers
- Prefer what's popular and trending

I think i mostly like the early internet, is that back then there were less people telling me to get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet