U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 PM

4,441 posts, read 1,644,148 times

Advertisements

I was looking into getting an Internet feed for a small church, primarily because some of the local pastors here discovered "Zoom" in the midst of this social distancing experiment.

I thought about a WiFi hotspot via cellular system, but the location is on the edge of a 4G network, and even at best a hotspot would be challenged for bandwidth. (For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps according to the Zoom Website.)

Usage would be very minimal, as we rarely have over 24 in attendance. True there would be a dozen or so "devices" within range of the WiFi router, but only a couple of them would actually connect. Most of them would be simply looking up a Bible passage on a web page, and most of the congregation would probably just continue to use their own data, unless they had a connection problem.

So I looked into getting cable, but ran into terms of service problems for home internet, since it isn't a home. I asked Suddenlink (the only cable provider in this area) and they charge just over double the price, for the same speed connection as home Internet. (Or just under double the price, for half of the speed.)

Is there any real difference, considering how we would be using it?
And does anyone know of a workaround?

I hate to see a small Church spend $1000+ a year for as little as they are going to use it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 12:27 PM

5,749 posts, read 1,832,110 times
In terms of service, there's typically different SLAs (service level agreements)... but usually not any difference in the actual service.

For example, if there's outages, business customers are prioritized over residential.

The business plans are designed for several users (more than you would have at a home).

Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
In terms of service, there's typically different SLAs (service level agreements)... but usually not any difference in the actual service.

For example, if there's outages, business customers are prioritized over residential.

The business plans are designed for several users (more than you would have at a home).
I kinda thought those things would be the case (but wasn't sure),
and I am still hoping for a work around, since we don't need any priority of service and I don't think we will ever have that many people trying to do anything.

There local office has been closed since March, so the only way I can interface with them is e-mail. There are usually things people will tell you in person that they won't put in writing.

Maybe I could get the Pastor to declare his office to be his "home away from home" like people with a vacation house

Old 06-06-2020, 05:46 AM

4,180 posts, read 4,153,924 times
Being a non profit it might be worth talking to the provider and seeing if they have special pricing.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Being a non profit it might be worth talking to the provider and seeing if they have special pricing.
Thanks, I will check on that.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 AM

13,840 posts, read 6,966,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

Although people like myself with 70+ IP devices at home and over 1TB a month of use stretch those definitions.

It made a bigger difference years ago with different offerings like home DSL vs commercial T1 lines.

OP, another thing to check is if you have church school/Sunday school - sometimes there are school packages, especially during COVID-19.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Although people like myself with 70+ IP devices at home and over 1TB a month of use stretch those definitions.

It made a bigger difference years ago with different offerings like home DSL vs commercial T1 lines.

OP, another thing to check is if you have church school/Sunday school - sometimes there are school packages, especially during COVID-19.
Thanks. I'll check that.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 PM

5,005 posts, read 3,490,955 times
I assume they are trying to push "business" service on you for more money.

I don't know your specifics but ask them what advantages there are over home service.

There should at least be priority service, guaranteed uptime etc. If it goes down, they are obligated to fix it within a certain amount of time whereas with home service it could take days. There may be other advantages but that one comes to mind. But yes, as a nonprofit they should have discounts.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 PM

Yes, I am certain it is for the money.
Quote:
I don't know your specifics but ask them what advantages there are over home service.
From what their web site says, they simply won't allow home service anywhere that isn't a residence, or vacation home.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:18 PM

5,749 posts, read 1,832,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

There's no technical limitation on number of devices or data. It has to do with the offering from the provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet