Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,395,350 times

Advertisements

From Merriam Webster. I hope it qualifies as a credible.

Quote:
Definition of social media
: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...social%20media

City Data IS social media. Nothing in there about real identities, that is not a requirement.

Does it really matter if you know someone's true identity? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM

32 posts, read 23,474 times
I don't hate social media. Maybe it's because I'm not addicted to them.

Facebook was fun in the beginning, but I got tired of it after a while (the obligation to like and comment photos every day and to be available on Messenger all the time), so I don't have a personal account any more. I have a gaming account - an account I opened to play games on Facebook and follow some artists I'm interested in. I don't use my real name in order to prevent people from finding me.

It was the same with Instagram. I started with friends and relatives and ended with a new account nobody knows about where I follow things that interest me - mostly artists, photos of nice scenery, space, cats ... I don't log in often.

I have a Twitter account, but I've rarely ever used it. I think that I started following NASA, National Geographic and similar accounts there, but I can't say that I really follow their posts, since sometimes I don't log in for months. It's the same with Reddit - I have an account I rarely use.

I visit Pinterest more often, especially when I search for some inspiration, but it depends. It's - again - an anonymous account.

I use YouTube, too, of course - listen to music, watch travelling vlogs, listen to some interesting lecture, learn new things (especially how to do or make something), etc.

I could delete all those accounts. If Facebook stopped hosting games, I would be gone in a second. But, I don't see the point. I'm the one who decides what I'm going to do with them, what/who to follow, what to read or watch... Although their primary function is to connect people, I must admit that I find them more fun and relaxing without friends, acquaintances, relatives, neighbours, former classmates, colleagues, etc. I'm simply tired of looking at other people's lives and presenting my own... Maybe I'm getting old...

Old 10-23-2020, 09:00 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,476,825 times
OP who posts here every day has abandoned this conversation. About time we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet