Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2020, 12:17 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times

Advertisements

Have any of you run into the following situation and resolved it? It's annoying and I am having trouble viewing my email which I depend upon to receive and send documents and jpeg. I do research with my pc for 8 hours a day.

I like Firefox a lot and have used it for years. Just a couple days ago my Windows 10 x64 pc became unstable which I discovered could be caused by a browser hack that redirects link to ad pages. I ran Avira this morning as it was recommended by Geek and it did not find any hackers, viruses, malware etc.

Yesterday, my Gmail screen turned into a white letters on a black background. I don't like it and did not authorize it.

I checked Easy Access and the high contrast setting was disabled so it wasn't that setting causing it. Another thing that it could be is I changed and set my new theme yesterday. No where have I selected black as a background or a dark theme. I would normally use System Restore but this time I did not want my installation of a Canon printer to be wiped out and have to reinstall the reinstall.

Maybe this effect was caused by re-installing the disk for Canon Pixma mx490,yesterday. I suspected for a while that it's Image Garden was corrupted because there were functions missing on the drop down menus. BTW I don't like Image Garden. Interestingly, IG has a white on black theme.

I could try resetting my PC but I seriously don't want to go through the process of installing Canon all over again. If I absolutely have to I will have to.

What should I do to take this high contrast theme off of my Gmail.? The 'set theme' option has been tested and I set white as the background 'color'. it does not provide a solution. It takes me to a white page in Gmail that has only partial view of the emails and some kind of huge wood slat theme at the top of the page. The mouse controls do not work there.

How did you solve the problem of high contrast in Gmail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 02:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
GMAIL does have a dark mode; that's what I use. Check themes under settings and see if it has been turned to dark mode.
As for firefox? No idea, but they also might have a dark mode.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:50 AM

I just found out Firefox last update automatically changes your device and pc to dark theme. My pc screen blinks between white and dark and the black flicker on and off. My computer acts like it is about to crash. I have been consolidating and moving F photos and documents into a cloud today for the past 12 hours. Flash drives are not really as convenient as a cloud.
i went to Windows settings and Firefox settings and confirmed my settings are for light mode.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:52 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I generally use an ancient version of FF, but it got an auto update on Android that has me using other browsers more. For instance, the "upgraded" version of FF makes the "forum jump" here (look at the bottom of the page) default to the very first name in the list of forums rather than staying at the current one for further searching. Dumb.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:21 PM

666 posts, read 426,246 times
Reimaging your whole computer sounds a bit of an extreme response to the issue. Can you describe what is happening? I can't discern whether you are experiencing the issue in gmail, Firefox browser or Windows itself.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Reimaging your whole computer sounds a bit of an extreme response to the issue. Can you describe what is happening? I can't discern whether you are experiencing the issue in gmail, Firefox browser or Windows itself.
Describing...Gmail in FF, as well there is a lot of flickering, when my cursor goes onto the side scroller the screen turns black for a second. With google Chrome, Gmail is not black. It is the way I want it. There is still some flickering. Maybe my antivirus Avira is causing it. I downloaded it a couple days ago after testing the so-called free version with no ill effects. i have had a lot of trouble also with programs not responding so I paused my syncs. CPU usage is often very high and causes that but I am only using 2.5 of my 8G. What about indexing, I am on the recommended setting.

I really like my Dell Inspiron i3 8G x64 dual core laptop built with Win 8 and upgraded at the time to 10 and Windows automatic updates turned on.

I am prepared to purchase a new laptop but by shopping around I have not found another Dell with 8G for about $350 to $400 CAN. Amazon, Staples, Best Buy, London Drugs, Dell. I'm in Canada.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Problems solved

I am the OP. I finally solved the issues with my pc after investigating it online. I looked for answers and found them and will share with you now.
I uninstalled Avira antivirus and my computer ran smoother and I no longer had issues with my Gmail high. My pc is 64 bit and I was running 32 bit programs (Avira). Also I replaced my mouse and now my cursor is stable; and I paused all of my cloud drives and my computer sped up considerably; my pc is stable now. I have gone back to using flash drives to save overflow instead of clouds.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
I found the solution in my Windows 10. Go to Setttings, then Preferences; then toggle Dark to Light. Everything fixed instantly. I can't recall exact steps, google /switch wiin10 light theme/ should give the walkthrough.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I found the solution in my Windows 10. Go to Setttings, then Preferences; then toggle Dark to Light. Everything fixed instantly. I can't recall exact steps, google /switch wiin10 light theme/ should give the walkthrough.

I did check this and what I found was that Light was "on". So what I wanted to know why my Gmail was on high contrast when the setting was clearly selected as Light.

Only yesterday I posted how I fixed everything.

Thanks for sending your solution.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
I have found, more than once, that if a toggle is ON and it is not responding, toggle it OFF and then back ON again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet