Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 09:50 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times

Advertisements

I seem to recall commercials showing that you could pick a city or country where you are pretending to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 09:55 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
yes, most let you pick a location where you want to pop out from...

Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
Some do let you choose the city from a list - even cities in other countries

Old 01-22-2021, 09:46 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
yes, most let you pick a location where you want to pop out from...
pop out from... haha I like that description.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,503 times
You can typically choose your location.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
pop out from... haha I like that description.
Hey look, I'm in London today!

And now I'm in Los Angeles! etc. etc. etc.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:44 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times
Isn't your routing number or IP address already protected? What would be the use in a VPN? Virtual network. It is for those who don't want to buy a modem or a router. Just invest in one, and you've pretty much protected your computer.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
Isn't your routing number or IP address already protected? What would be the use in a VPN? Virtual network. It is for those who don't want to buy a modem or a router. Just invest in one, and you've pretty much protected your computer.
You still need a modem/router if you use a VPN or not.

VPN is used mainly for privacy. If you use your default IP address, big brother and his marketing buddies know everything you're doing. Using a VPN helps to obfuscate your activity by encrypting and tunneling your connection to different exit points around the globe.

Some also use a VPN to appear to be coming from another country so they can get access to different content on NetFlix, etc.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:15 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
What would be the use in a VPN? Virtual network.
I mean, you left the important part off of that: PRIVATE. Without a Virtual PRIVATE Network, I could sit outside your house, get on your wifi, and packet sniff your traffic and see everything you're doing. And this is just the tip of what I could get access to.

With a VPN? I'd see you "tunneling to Germany" and that is all. (Not even sure I'd see your destination).

Old 06-07-2021, 09:54 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
No.

Threats and protections are not all the same. Just as seat-belts, air-bags, crumple zones, etc. are all protections for a driver, but they do different things. Thus, saying "all you need are seat-belts" is just as false as "just invest in a modem/router and you'll be protected". The key is - protected from what?

VPN's technically provide data confidentiality. Anything passing across that VPN is encrypted between you and the VPN provider. So anyone sniffing or intercepting that traffic won't be able to decipher anything (in theory).

IP addresses identify a host. While that information can lead someone to you - by itself, it does't really verify that it was really you that was using the device. Like a phone number, it can be traced back to you as the owner... but there has to be other factors to validate that you were actually the one that was communicating. Of course, that is still a "lead". So using a VPN can remove that factor as well as you are now communicating through a proxy.

All of these "controls" also only work if used properly. There was a student that sent in a bomb threat (MIT?) to avoid class a number of years ago. He tried to hid behind TOR ... but wasn't smart enough to realize that this only worked from the outside. He used the University's network to access TOR.... of course, everything he did on the university network was traceable....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet