U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:26 AM

13,125 posts, read 15,224,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It also said a Telegram icon would appear in my contacts showing other people who have accounts. But can those people see all of my contacts even if they aren't on Telegram? Instructions are unclear, just says Telegram will have access to my contacts.
Telegram gets a copy of your contacts for the SOLE PURPOSE of letting you know if any of those people have Telegram or sign up for it. They do nothing with this information other then that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,640,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Telegram gets a copy of your contacts for the SOLE PURPOSE of letting you know if any of those people have Telegram or sign up for it. They do nothing with this information other then that.
So, then, they keep a copy of it, or refer back to it when you log on?
(There are probably worse things going on in the world, I am simply wondering.)

Old 03-07-2021, 04:22 PM

16,818 posts, read 4,898,963 times
Quote:
As far as we know, you mean. Still not comfortable with Telegram knowing my hairdresser, mechanic, dentist's information.

I took the plunge and signed up. Did two test messages on discussions in progress but I don't see my username or profile pic with my message (fake name, fake pic). Do we not see our own or did I do something wrong?

Old 03-09-2021, 01:56 PM

I don't use Telegram, I use Signal. However, if you'd do a bit of research on Telegram, you might be more trusting. Not everyone is out to get your data, not even the 2 Russians who own Telegram. That's right... 2 guys FORMERLY from Russia. Not a major conglomerate.
BTW, there is a setting under PRIVACY in Telegram to turn off "UPLOAD MY CONTACTS" according to a post on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Telegram/co...ontact_access/

Who owns Telegram?
Telegram is owned by the same two people who founded the company in Russia back in 2013, Pavel Durov and his brother Nikolai. Pavel is also the company’s CEO.

Pavel Durov has been dubbed Russia’s Mark Zuckerberg, as he had originally founded that country’s biggest social networking site, known as VK. The company made him a billionaire.

While VK still exists, Pavel completely cut ties with the social platform he founded in 2014. VK had been known for fighting back against Kremlin censorship. Then allies of Russian President Vladmir Putin and the Kremlin consolidated their shares in the company in order to take an ownership stake. Pavel was forced out of his role, sold his remaining shares, and left Russia for Germany. According to Pavel, he was pushed out for refusing to provide VK user data to the Russian government or shut down a group for anti-corruption advocate and opposition leader Alexei Navalny that ran on the social network.

Telegram is Pavel’s continuation of the online free-speech efforts that started with VK. The company is registered in the U.S. as an LLC. The team has moved around since its inception and was last reported to be located in Dubai.

It's a good article, and Telegram scores well but, in the end: they recommend Signal.
https://in.mashable.com/tech/19823/w...ny's%20CEO.

Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM

People I follow are on Telegram.

I just want to know if, when I post a comment, I'm supposed to see my own name and pic next to the text bubble. If not, then I'm okay. If I'm supposed to see that stuff, I need to figure out what to do to make that info visible.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Again, you don't FOLLOW people on Telegram. These are your contacts and you are using a MESSAGING app. It's not Twitter. Have you asked one of them?

Find the setting in Telegram. Go through every single option listed there. Somewhere in there, I can 95% guarantee is an option for "SHOW CHAT BUBBLES" or something.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Again, you don't FOLLOW people on Telegram. These are your contacts and you are using a MESSAGING app. It's not Twitter. Have you asked one of them?

Find the setting in Telegram. Go through every single option listed there. Somewhere in there, I can 95% guarantee is an option for "SHOW CHAT BUBBLES" or something.
Maybe Telegram doesn’t use the term ‘follow’ but that’s what I do. I’ve joined channels and receive notifications on my desktop taskbar. Then I have access to videos and links posted by those people. I haven’t added any contacts and my phone contacts don’t show up on my Telegram Contacts.

Chat Settings are for appearance, i.e. colors, themes, emojis
Last Seen Online is set as visible to everybody
Profile photo is set as visible to everybody

Someone on another forum said he searched for my user name and found all my comments showing my username and profile pic. When I search, I find my comments displayed in a different background color with no name or pic, which I guess is so I can find them easier.

So it looks like I’m all set!

Old Today, 06:27 AM

4,439 posts, read 1,640,721 times
Quote:
Who owns Telegram?
Telegram is owned by the same two people who founded the company in Russia back in 2013, Pavel Durov and his brother Nikolai. Pavel is also the company’s CEO.

Pavel Durov has been dubbed Russia’s Mark Zuckerberg, as he had originally founded that country’s biggest social networking site, known as VK. The company made him a billionaire.
Zuckerberg?
Thanks.
Now I know I won't ever trust it.
Ever.

Old Today, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I’ve joined channels and receive notifications on my desktop taskbar.
Ohhh, my bad. I forgot about Channels. Yea, that's kind of like Twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet