U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 09:56 AM

6,159 posts, read 1,707,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yeah, I know. The music aspect was my favorite thing about Myspace. Making playlists and putting songs on your profile. But it was all free back then and you didn't have to pay for anything.

Also, individual pages were fairly anonymous, most people just used nicknames or aliases, so there wasn't this feeling of overexposure and no serious data collection going on either. Nobody could Google your name and find your address, ya know?

They can’t sell music by being anonymous tho. I don’t know what MySpace was like yrs ago BUT...it’s about selling music now. You can find out who anybody is tho, especially if they use a lot of different identities to harass ppl or catfish. Finding somebody’s address is no different than the old days with phone books.

edit: AND if you’re just sharing with your friends & family on Facebook....they know where you live.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-01-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM

15,077 posts, read 15,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

They can’t sell music by being anonymous tho. I don’t know what MySpace was like yrs ago BUT...you can find out who anybody is, especially if they use a lot of different identities to harass ppl. Finding somebody’s address is no different than the old days with phone books.
(Personal pages were anonymous, not musician/artist/business pages. )

Most musicians make money touring anyway. Myspace was a great marketing and promotion tool for that (or whatever your craft), especially for local gigs and events. And it was all free. If you could design and had the time you could really get a great fanbase for yourself worldwide.

People do that now on social media, but Myspace is where alot of all this began.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 AM

6,159 posts, read 1,707,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
We don't need ANY social media. I believe social media is DIRECTLY responsible for what is currently wrong with society.

No social media is totally unrealistic tho...the cat’s already out of the bag.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 AM

15,077 posts, read 15,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
They can’t sell music by being anonymous tho. I don’t know what MySpace was like yrs ago BUT...it’s about selling music now. You can find out who anybody is tho, especially if they use a lot of different identities to harass ppl or catfish. Finding somebody’s address is no different than the old days with phone books.

edit: AND if you’re just sharing with your friends & family on Facebook....they know where you live.
Just saw your edit, and you bring up a great point.

The term "catfish" did not exist until 2010, we weren't even using smartphones back then either. So for all those years beforehand, we were fairly naive to that sort of thing happening! Myspace sure was ripe for catfishing though, so much so they created that MTV show lol.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:24 PM

3,845 posts, read 1,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I thrive without Twitter or Facebook.
That is my take !!!!

Old 03-13-2021, 06:29 PM

25 posts, read 4,715 times
Yes but what if you need to reach a large number of people quickly; do you prefer to make lots of small posts/contacts, or go back to tw/fb for that?

Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 AM

37,373 posts, read 64,797,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiecd View Post
Yes but what if you need to reach a large number of people quickly; do you prefer to make lots of small posts/contacts, or go back to tw/fb for that?
Text or email both still work. And, more people use them than use Twitter.

Old Today, 05:44 AM

759 posts, read 449,707 times
I have tried (and re-tried) Twitter, but always felt like I was posting into a void. Not
much interaction, there. However, I sometimes use it as a tool to post a message on
my website, since there is a way to embed your posts anywhere that embedding is
permitted. So that's a nice little feature, though I haven't used it that way in awhile,
either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet