U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 06:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 3,084,122 times

Advertisements

I think part of it is more people are using their phones for a greater percentage of their computing and internet use.

No matter how cool or fancy someone thinks their phone is, those things are a huge pain in the butt (or finger, or eyes) to type on! Some people just don't want to admit that, which is odd.

And so people just keep it to a minimum, sometimes too minimal. Though I do agree with you, they need to craft a proper response even if that means holding off on conveying a message unless it is something that's useful that can be said very concisely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 AM

13,130 posts, read 15,234,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think part of it is more people are using their phones for a greater percentage of their computing and internet use.
I think it's more about people generalizing that no one types long diatribes on the Internet anymore.

Quote:
No matter how cool or fancy someone thinks their phone is, those things are a huge pain in the butt (or finger, or eyes) to type on! Some people just don't want to admit that, which is odd.
I think you are generalizing here, too. I won't admit its a "huge PITB"... because it's not. I have no issue typing on my phone. Not to even mention using voice to type works really well these days.,

Quote:
And so people just keep it to a minimum, sometimes too minimal. Though I do agree with you, they need to craft a proper response even if that means holding off on conveying a message unless it is something that's useful that can be said very concisely.
I hope that I typed enough for you. I think I made my point though, and no more words are needed.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM

10,245 posts, read 5,068,345 times
Well, we'll have a race some time, me on my full size keyboard, you with two fingers on your phone, transcribing say the first chapter of Moby Dick, and we'll see who gets finished faster. There's no way to touch type properly on anything smaller than one of the larger laptop keyboards.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:24 AM

15,773 posts, read 23,714,893 times
Because.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM

592 posts, read 183,660 times
Brevity is the sole of wit !

Old 03-12-2021, 05:47 AM

14,102 posts, read 21,830,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, we'll have a race some time, me on my full size keyboard, you with two fingers on your phone, transcribing say the first chapter of Moby Dick, and we'll see who gets finished faster. There's no way to touch type properly on anything smaller than one of the larger laptop keyboards.
Typing speed is not enough to prove your original point.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:31 AM

10,245 posts, read 5,068,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Typing speed is not enough to prove your original point.
Well, it wasn't MY original point, but I was piling on in support of the poster who suggested that brief posts come from "typing" them on a phone's tiny keyboard. The more time-consuming and error prone the entry method, the more likely one is to limit one's post length. On the other hand, most adults can touch type almost as fast as they can think of things to say (sometimes even faster, as some of my internet posts will make clear).

Old Today, 07:34 AM

13,130 posts, read 15,234,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Me using transcription with my voice? I'll be done before you're even halfway.

Old Today, 03:57 PM

2,326 posts, read 1,169,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because.
k

Old Today, 04:44 PM

4,203 posts, read 2,653,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
My posts on this site that get the most upvotes are usually what could charitably be called "pithy one-liners." It's discouraging that people like this style of communication.
Yeah, same here, and I feel the same sense of discouragement about it. The founders of Twitter felt compelled to launch Medium to undo whatever unintentional damage their first platform had done; there is definitely something lost in 'curt' exchanges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet