Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:21 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

I hesitate to sign up because they want my mobile number. Gab only requires an email address. I won't be accessing it on my phone, just my computer.

I'm not on Twitter but can access it by googling 'twitter.com @First Name Last Name"
Then I can read that person's posts and freely search for anyone.

I tried doing that with Telegram and got a pop up window asking me to download the app. Is there a backdoor way in similar to my Twitter hack? I don't want to post, just read comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 01:05 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Telegram is not a social media with website like Twitter or Facebook.
It's a messaging app. You can't log in to and read comments. There aren't any comments to read.
Telegram is an online messaging app that works just like popular messaging apps WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. This means that you can use it to send messages to your friends when connected to Wi-Fi or your mobile data.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
And getting your phone number is a way to PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT. They aren't going to sell your number... or call you.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Telegram is not a social media with website like Twitter or Facebook.
It's a messaging app. You can't log in to and read comments. There aren't any comments to read.
Telegram is an online messaging app that works just like popular messaging apps WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. This means that you can use it to send messages to your friends when connected to Wi-Fi or your mobile data.
Why are public officials and celebrities on Telegram? Are they personally emailing their fans or constituents? I thought they'd be giving updates on projects or giving links to videos with interviews, similar to Twitter.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:21 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Public officials are using Telegram or Signal (even better) messengers because those are more secure than FB or WhatsApp.
It's a messenger (SMS) app - not email or public chat platform. It's used to send text messages/pictures/ documents (or phone calls) person to person or person to private group. The messages are encrypted. You can't read their conversation.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:30 AM

Keeping it even simpler: they use it instead of the Text Message app that came on their phone.
Messages sent this way are impossible to intercept and read.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:39 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Keeping it even simpler: they use it instead of the Text Message app that came on their phone.
That was my impression on it too, except that the messages are not impossible to intercept, they should be out of reach of common hackers, though.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-...ews-29636.html
Quote:
But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that Telegram is one of the best encrypted messaging apps, offering a cross-platform, cloud-based distributed messaging app that has no ads.

It’s similar to Apple’s Messages, but it’s more reliable, has dedicated apps for all platforms — PC, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS — and it also allows you to set up secret chats with messages that can self-destruct, giving you a new level of privacy.
Its security isn't bullet proof, but good enough for most business uses.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That was my impression on it too, except that the messages are not impossible to intercept, they should be out of reach of common hackers, though.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-...ews-29636.html

Its security isn't bullet proof, but good enough for most business uses.
Seems a bit pedantic here.

Yes - technically, encryption has nothing to do with interception in the sense that when using the same delivery mechanism, encrypting something doesn't make it any harder to intercept. But what it does do is lower the vulnerability of the message. Since being intercepted doesn't matter if the attacker/eavesdropper can't decrypt the message.

And yes - there is no such thing as 100% security.

What Peregrine stated may not be technically/academically accurate. But it's fairly accurate in a practical sense.

And that's always the key - it comes down to what's practical. What the article above mentions is that the encryption of Telegram isn't end to end (although you can enable it). However, how much that matters will depend on how you intend to use it. As the article said, it likely isn't suitable for national security purposes. But it's likely more than enough to plan a birthday party for your SO.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Seems a bit pedantic here.
Yes, you are being very pedantic. We try to keep it simple here.

Quote:
What Peregrine stated may not be technically/academically accurate. But it's fairly accurate in a practical sense.
K.I.S.S.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:00 PM

I almost never use my phone for texting so I looked at Telegram's FAQs (gave me a headache) and saw that I could access my account from either my laptop and my phone. Also watched a short youtube tutorial. But not every question I have was answered.

Can I do everything via laptop once I create an account via phone, like change privacy settings? All my photos are on my laptop if I want to add a profile pic.

It also said a Telegram icon would appear in my contacts showing other people who have accounts. But can those people see all of my contacts even if they aren't on Telegram? Instructions are unclear, just says Telegram will have access to my contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet