U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 01:15 PM

485 posts, read 445,719 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I hope someone out there can help me. I've been wanting to create a simple website. Something with links to my social media and little information about myself. I've been trying to create a website with Wix which is good. However, they give me a long link to my website to share with everyone. I just want a simple link that is easy for everyone to remember. I also plan on advertising my website on my vehicle. Anyways, is there anyone out there have experience in creating simple websites or give me any ideas of what to do? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 01:26 PM

4,807 posts, read 2,057,918 times
I believe you have to pay for a domain name using the name you want, then you can put your site on your domain and name the link the same name. I believe many paid domains have easy site building tools.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:56 PM

14,203 posts, read 22,121,025 times
You need a hosting service (GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc...)
then get a domain name, which you can get from the hosting service you choose.
Then use a software like Wordpress to make a simple site.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:47 AM

13,420 posts, read 15,526,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I believe you have to pay for a domain name using the name you want, then you can put your site on your domain and name the link the same name. I believe many paid domains have easy site building tools.

Bingo.
You aren't getting a short name for free. Period.
Pony up.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:19 AM

485 posts, read 445,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You need a hosting service (GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc...)
then get a domain name, which you can get from the hosting service you choose.
Then use a software like Wordpress to make a simple site.
I tried using Wordpress this morning and it looks like a headache to me. Anyways, I decided to create a facebook page and send people there instead of a website.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:51 PM

788 posts, read 1,018,625 times
One free location for web pages is Neocities. Your site name would come up as https://yoursitesnamehere.neocities.org/ That doesn't seem too bad for a reasonably simple name. There's no advertising added to any of your pages.

https://neocities.org/

p.s. Clicking on the first link will get you "Page Not Found--The requested web page was not found on this site."

Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 AM

21 posts, read 5,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I tried using Wordpress this morning and it looks like a headache to me. Anyways, I decided to create a facebook page and send people there instead of a website.
You can also create a Google My Business account and post everything in there on regular basis. This also can become your web presence.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:07 AM

6,100 posts, read 3,278,073 times
i used to use my home p.c. to host my webpage (lamp server) and noip.com to d.n.s. it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Bingo.
You aren't getting a short name for free. Period.
Pony up.
noip has about a hundred free (.com, .net, .tv, .biz, ...) domains. but anything outside of their generic names costs like $10 a year.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 112 times
There are so many website builders out there, don't just settle for Wix if you're not happy with the experience.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

64 posts, read 21,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto322 View Post
There are so many website builders out there, don't just settle for Wix if you're not happy with the experience.
I've dealt with the Weeks platform for some time, there are a lot of restrictions on the free plan. Also, the site takes a very long time to load. I always monitor site metrics here. But there are other platforms to build your website for free:
1. Google sites.
2. Tilda.
3. WordPress.
For a portfolio site or business card site, this will be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet