U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 05:32 PM

2,244 posts, read 1,012,176 times

Advertisements

It stopped raining, thundering, lightening an hour ago.

Connected to 5G network after "forgetting" 2G. True to form... it's after 7pm, when I normally get kicked off over & over & it's the same... also true to form... it's only on the new laptop... the other laptop & phone are fine. I left those 2 connected to the 2G network.

Odd...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 07:20 PM

5,998 posts, read 4,706,473 times
so based on what you've tried I'd have to conclude there's something faulty with the built-in wifi on your HP Envy. Is it still under warranty? You may want to contact HP support to see what they say. One way you could verify/resolve is to try a USB wireless stick. This will bypass the built-in wifi. For $14, it may be the path of least resistance if the warranty process turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

For example > https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC600...ts_id=13983791

Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
so based on what you've tried I'd have to conclude there's something faulty with the built-in wifi on your HP Envy. Is it still under warranty? You may want to contact HP support to see what they say. One way you could verify/resolve is to try a USB wireless stick. This will bypass the built-in wifi. For $14, it may be the path of least resistance if the warranty process turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

For example > https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC600...ts_id=13983791
I'm guessing most warranties are 1-yr (or at least 6-mos)... so, I'm assuming it's still under warranty... bought it 5-6 mos ago in TX at a Best Buy. I'm in FL now, but I'm assuming any BB would honor the warranty. I'll dig out the receipt.

I'm just reluctant to trust someone with my computer... last time I had a computer in for warranty work (many years ago) it was less than stellar. They also must have dropped it... I could see the chips & chunk taken out of the plastic frame (or whatever it's called)... but, they denied it & said I couldn't prove it. It never did work right after that.

TY for the link for the stick... that's new to me, so I'll read a bit more about it.

BTW, should I at least try to reinstall the WiFi driver? There's was no update when GG had me check, but could a faulty install factor into it in anyway... if that's even possible?

TY for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:38 AM

5,998 posts, read 4,706,473 times
You could try uninstalling the driver and then rebooting. Driver should get automatically re-installed during reboot. If not, scan for changes. I don't think it's the driver though since it's working most of the time and you verified it's the latest version.

It's going to be tough for them to diagnose since it's so intermittent and yeah, if they make you bring it in, no telling what they will do to it. If it were me, I'd probably just buy the USB wireless stick and call it a day. $14 is worth it to me to not to have to deal with going into the store and burning hours of time.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You could try uninstalling the driver and then rebooting. Driver should get automatically re-installed during reboot. If not, scan for changes. I don't think it's the driver though since it's working most of the time and you verified it's the latest version.

It's going to be tough for them to diagnose since it's so intermittent and yeah, if they make you bring it in, no telling what they will do to it. If it were me, I'd probably just buy the USB wireless stick and call it a day. $14 is worth it to me to not to have to deal with going into the store and burning hours of time.
I guess what stood out to me is that the times each day that service is interrupted is always consistent, which made me think it might be some sort of WiFi setting. Perhaps it's just due to peak times for Spectrum users?

I need to place an Amazon order anyway, so I'll add in the stick & should have it in a week. Hopefully, it will work... if not, I can return it.

TYVM again for all your help. I'll update once I get the stick.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:36 PM

Default Update...

I love a solved mystery. I started hunting around for varying phrases I came across after running varying troubleshooters... & then came across this article:

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/1250...nnecting-wi-fi

It's pretty concise. I did the 1st few things it suggested, then couldn't find some of the suggestions... those options aren't on my computer, even though it's the same OS. In any event, from more searching, it looks like it might be helped by disabling Fast Startup, since it seems to be directly related to continual disconnection, like I'm experiencing.

So, I disabled it.

Time will tell... unless it's fixed or the usual nighttime disconnections have been moved up... since I disabled it hours ago, I haven't yet had a problem.

I'll post back in a day or 2. Just wanted to post the article in the event someone else is experiencing the same.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:30 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,655,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Oh, the irony... couldn't get online yesterday at all on any device, unless I used my phone's Verizon plan's free 4Gig I get every month. Why, I don't know. Had to reset the router multiple times... when I did, I had to reboot every device, even my phone, as everything was frozen. After rebooting, I could get online for mere moments, then I'd immediately be knocked off with a frozen screen... both computers & the Android. So odd.

Today... FL storms, thunder & lightening for hours now, so my lights have been flickering for hours. Haven't been knocked off 'net yet, but I'll wait 'til tomorrow to do more troubleshooting.

Yes... just found the 5G & connected to it on the new laptop. I'll do the same with the old laptop, since I want to watch an online movie & that computer is traditionally slow & sometimes buffers so much, I can't watch & give up. BTW, I just realized that only has happened here... I've successfully watched movies on other WiFi connections & only had minor buffering, if any at all.

I did as above & am now connected to 5G. Disabled Bluetooth, as well.

BTW, 2 things... my rental office didn't tell me 'til after I moved in & called Spectrum's 800# for WiFi service that we have a community rep we can call & use as our contact, rather than calling the 800# & hanging on for a long time for help. Wasn't sure if I could use him at this point, since I'm sure he gets commission on all new accounts & I'm now an existing customer. But, perhaps I'm wrong & he can help straighten this out, so I'll give him a call on Mon.

In addition, the reason I'm wanting to work this out is I will probably have to get a call center job working from home & need to have stable Internet. Currently, I don't. I'll need to have a hardwired connection, since they forbid WiFi... unsure if that would provide a more stable connection, but I was trying to figure out if it's the provider or something else before spending more money with Spectrum.

Don't want to call Spectrum for a home visit (I'll have to pay for the at-home tech install (I already asked) & may activate the other connection in the bedroom instead, since I can put my desk in there & close the door. Wondering if I should switch to Frontier... neither have contracts, so it's not a big deal.

In any event, I'll use the 5G connection all night & tomorrow, then post back on Monday. Maybe the faster connection will help. Fingers crossed, anyway.

TY again!
Was not implying a home visit. I was implying phone support. It was two questions you were going to ask, firmware upgrade for the router and 5g which it seems you got your answer to. If you pay Spectrum directly, you are a customer obviously and are entitled to tech support. They don't come out unless there is a problem they can only fix in person. Anyway, it's an option for later if necessary.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Was not implying a home visit. I was implying phone support. It was two questions you were going to ask, firmware upgrade for the router and 5g which it seems you got your answer to. If you pay Spectrum directly, you are a customer obviously and are entitled to tech support. They don't come out unless there is a problem they can only fix in person. Anyway, it's an option for later if necessary.
TY, GG... Yep, I understood your post, but don't think you understood mine.

Briefly, I was saying I might need a tech visit as I may have to get a hardwired connection for work... WiFi is forbidden. That's an "if I need to get a hardwired connection". Was trying to rule out provider issues first... should that factor into it... cuz if it's potentially a Spectrum service issue, I'll switch to Frontier. Neither have contracts & the Internet only costs are about the same, so now would be the time.

In the meantime, I'm working on the WiFi, which so far < fingers crossed > seems to be stable now that I disabled Fast Startup. I did get disconnected once this morning at 10:30am. But, it was just once & not 5-6 times in a row. I'll give it one more day to see how it goes.

TY for your help. All your suggestions assisted me with searches for info.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 PM

Default Update 2...

Well, that feeling of "I fixed it" disappeared fast.

It's back to it's disconnection dance... & once again, only on the new computer & at the usual 3pm-ish time, 5-6 times in a row.

Back to the drawing board.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:02 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,655,759 times
Your older laptop and phone remain connected at 5g but your new one doesn't?

It may be something in windows 10, check your sleep settings. It may be shutting down the wifi adapter which may be dropping the connection. Notice I say "may" since we are not sure of the problem.

For now, set your laptop to Never sleep. Settings, System, Power & Sleep settings. Then try testing it again to see if loses connection. If that did not repair the problem, move on to the Network Troubleshooter.

Here are some suggestions as well as instructions. Click on 'Things to Try First" to get started.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-7f07eee84d2c

Last edited by gguerra; 04-12-2021 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet