U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:59 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,023,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Your older laptop and phone remain connected at 5g but your new one doesn't?
Nope... haven't changed the 2G settings of the old laptop or phone. The new one is still connected to 5G. But, I just realized I haven't rebooted since making all the changes yesterday. We'll see how that goes.

Quote:
It may be something in windows 10, check your sleep settings. It may be shutting down the wifi adapter which may be dropping the connection. Notice I say "may" since we are not sure of the problem.

For now, set your laptop to Never sleep. Settings, System, Power & Sleep settings. Then try testing it again to see if loses connection. If that did not repair the problem, move on to the Network Troubleshooter.
Those settings have always been as you've stated. That's not the issue, for sure.

Quote:
Here are some suggestions as well as instructions. Click on 'Things to Try First" to get started.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-7f07eee84d2c
Didn't have time to go through your article, but I will in a moment. TYVM.

Working or not, I appreciate everyone's help. Every little piece brings me closer to a solution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 04:53 PM

Here are some suggestions as well as instructions. Click on 'Things to Try First" to get started.

Went through the link's suggestions, GG... already doing all that.

Leaving it alone for tonight... maybe after the reboot, it will be fine... if not, tomorrow my mind will be fresh to try to figure out what the issue might be.

As a secondary q... should I need a hardwired connection at home rather than WiFi... will this issue be moot? Anyone??

ETA: As I was posting this... true to form, I got disconnected & it took 10-min to connect again. Oh, boy...

Old 04-12-2021, 06:05 PM

6,001 posts, read 4,716,562 times
Regarding hardwire, yes, that will resolve the issue. Hardwire uses a separate Network Adapter and all of the wireless idiosyncrasies are removed from the equation. If you have that option, do it.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 AM

5,165 posts, read 3,669,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post

Went through the link's suggestions, GG... already doing all that.

Leaving it alone for tonight... maybe after the reboot, it will be fine... if not, tomorrow my mind will be fresh to try to figure out what the issue might be.

As a secondary q... should I need a hardwired connection at home rather than WiFi... will this issue be moot? Anyone??

ETA: As I was posting this... true to form, I got disconnected & it took 10-min to connect again. Oh, boy...
Have you googled your laptop model to see if others are having a similar issue? It's worth a try.

I don't have the specific model number, it should be somewhere on a tag so I googled "HP Envy disconnects from Wifi" Google Search is here

Advantage to that is to see what that others with the same laptop are doing to resolve the problem.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Regarding hardwire, yes, that will resolve the issue. Hardwire uses a separate Network Adapter and all of the wireless idiosyncrasies are removed from the equation. If you have that option, do it.
Great, good to know, TY.

A job that seemingly fell through after they offered it to me a month ago & then ghosted me since, has suddenly called to ask for a start date... Not thrilled with the job or their treatment, but with no job, I can't be picky right now, so I'll take it. Since I'll be working at their office & probably moving to a cheaper apt in 6-mos, I'll hold off on paying for a tech visit unless necessary & continue to use WiFi.

Re: hardwired connection... the cable outlet in the corner of the living room is in a very awkward location... certainly not in an area I'd like to place a desk & the one in the bedroom, where I would place a desk to work should I need to, isn't activated.

Today, the disconnects are the same as usual, so none of the changes I made yesterday have helped... too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Have you googled your laptop model to see if others are having a similar issue? It's worth a try.

I don't have the specific model number, it should be somewhere on a tag so I googled "HP Envy disconnects from Wifi" Google Search is here

Advantage to that is to see what that others with the same laptop are doing to resolve the problem.
Yes, I began with googling for my computer's name & model #... that info is above in another post. What I found is that it didn't seem to be computer specific, but related to Win 10 & fixed after deactivating Fast Startup, also above in a previous post. There were more suggestions in the link I posted yesterday. I'll let you sift through them for what I did, if interested, rather than repeating again.

I'll check out your link, TY. Might be some new info that will resolve the issue.

TY both.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:19 PM

Default Last update...

I purchased a TP Link wireless adapter for $20. The moment I placed the one recommended in an above post into my Amazon cart, it went from $14-ish to $55, no kidding.

True to form, once it arrived, for over 1-wk, I had no connectivity problems... that never happened before.

Today, they began again, so I inserted the adapter & downloaded the driver... easy... AND, continued to have connectivity issues.

So... I'll be returning it for a refund. I just began working away from home, so it's not as big a deal. Can't win 'em all.

Have a good summer, All.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM

16,879 posts, read 7,164,363 times
Another possibility, look in Task Scheduler. There will probably be a lot of things like software updaters, license validators, maintenance tools, etc. There will be a lot of them. Focus on ones that run every day near your disconnect times.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Another possibility, look in Task Scheduler. There will probably be a lot of things like software updaters, license validators, maintenance tools, etc. There will be a lot of them. Focus on ones that run every day near your disconnect times.
I see there are multiple processes of the same thing running, if that's even possible... like 3 copies of my anti-virus, plus 3 other tasks related to it. I also see multiples of other processes, but, I'm not tech savvy enough to know what to do about it.

Still with all those running... I only had 1 instance today where I was kicked off & had to reconnect... so, it has improved over the past 2-wks, but I don't know why... I changed nothing. Prior to this respite, it's been a constant issue for months. I don't get it.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:22 AM

16,879 posts, read 7,164,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I see there are multiple processes of the same thing running, if that's even possible... like 3 copies of my anti-virus, plus 3 other tasks related to it. I also see multiples of other processes, but, I'm not tech savvy enough to know what to do about it.

Still with all those running... I only had 1 instance today where I was kicked off & had to reconnect... so, it has improved over the past 2-wks, but I don't know why... I changed nothing. Prior to this respite, it's been a constant issue for months. I don't get it.

You don't need to know and shouldn't do anything about it as most of that stuff is put in by apps for it's internal use or to provide it's features. Your AV might have a task to check for updates of the progrma, another task to check for updated virus definitions, another task to upload diagnostic info, etc. The key point was to look for any smoking gun where something was running for the times you get disconnected. It was a long shot in the first place.

You did change something. You tried various suggestions. You installed new adapter drivers. Maybe uninstalled it. Perhaps automatic updates have run. Most of us are making some kind of changes almost every day, not realizing it or not thinking it is related. But sometimes seemingly unrelated changes can load or unload common code that has an effect.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You don't need to know and shouldn't do anything about it as most of that stuff is put in by apps for it's internal use or to provide it's features. Your AV might have a task to check for updates of the progrma, another task to check for updated virus definitions, another task to upload diagnostic info, etc. The key point was to look for any smoking gun where something was running for the times you get disconnected. It was a long shot in the first place.
I see. You can see how green I am. When it goes down later... cuz it will at least a couple of times/day... I'll remember to check mngr, but I'm unsure I'm tech savvy enough to know what I'm looking for/at.

Quote:
You did change something. You tried various suggestions. You installed new adapter drivers. Maybe uninstalled it. Perhaps automatic updates have run. Most of us are making some kind of changes almost every day, not realizing it or not thinking it is related. But sometimes seemingly unrelated changes can load or unload common code that has an effect.
Oh, I see what you mean. I did find on one online comment (it's mentioned in one of my posts above) that someone else had this problem with their Garmin GPS software causing a conflict. I uninstalled it, but there was no difference. Oddly, it's still listed in my programs... so, I'm guessing my connectivity failed while I was uninstalling it & it's still there? I don't recall getting an error msg that uninstall failed.

In any event, it's happening less often now... a lot less often, so I'll keep fingers crossed that it won't revert.

TY for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet