Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 04:58 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

It seems that modern web browsers have made it increasingly difficult to use web sites that they consider "unsecure". In a free society, people have the right to choose to take risks such as skydiving or motorcycle riding. I should be able to consent to security risks. I spent several hours yesterday trying to find workarounds that would let me use Flash Player without being blocked by SSL certificate errors. I tried just about everything, including changing the date to 2020 or 2019, installing older versions, disconnecting from the internet after installing an older version to cripple the auto-update, going to versions of web browsers from 2015 or even 2004, and using command line execution in Chrome to disable SSL security checks. All of this over an old computer game that runs on Flash!

I finally found the hack - to use a non-supported version of Internet Explorer and change the date back to February 2020. Whew!

Is anyone else bothered by the "paternalism" that has crept in, to the point that you are blocked from choosing to voluntarily accept a risk ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 07:53 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Not even a little bit. Flash needs to go away. This is not some giant conspiracy.

Did you try Ruffle?
https://ruffle.rs/

Old 02-09-2021, 06:05 AM

666 posts, read 424,586 times
There is a trend of browsers using default options which are not necessarily in the interests of users. However, I do not see that enforcing encryption standards to be one of those.
Could the author of the computer game have kept up with maintaining modern certificates? Or began porting to a framework which has not been advertising a sunsetting date since years ago?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:12 PM

173 posts, read 111,424 times
"Proof of Presence"
This is the title of final project in CyberSecurity MS college study, that will have to be "These defended" or most correctly project defended, at the end of it all. However after countless online consultations with the lead professor, who will be part of the team grading the "These defense" , it seems that I am further and further from the beginning. 4 years of courses taken aren't coming of use when this, so abstract title, is center of my (given to me) theses (it is not theses per see but in my World it almost serves as it is).
I would appreciate just some hints as to what to use as focus while writing it. Anything I start with comes to be no acceptable by my lead professor.
I even considered paid help as well, but it is hard to pinpoint what profession to envision that is great essay writer and verse as programmer at the same time.
Any suggested lead is appreciated.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:40 PM

666 posts, read 424,586 times
"These defense" is not even correct English. If the subject matter of the project is Proof of Presence, I would look into writing on Let's Encrypt regarding certificates and things like certbot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet