U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,005,944 times

Advertisements

I have Spectrum (Internet only, no cable or phone bundle)... WiFi modem & router.

Have 2 laptops & Android phone. One laptop & phone are always connected & service is fine.

My newest laptop regularly disconnects during the day/night (3-4 times/day)... often it's during the same times each day... it also usually happens 3-6 times in a row, sometimes taking 15-min before it's stable. I have to manually reconnect each time.

My q... why?

Is it something to do with my settings? And, if so, can anyone guide me as to what to check on my laptop?

BTW, I tested it before & disconnected the other 2 devices all day, thinking perhaps I was only allowed to connect 2 devices. It didn't make a difference & the same happened to that 1 laptop.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thank you very much.

ETA: I have another option for Internet with Frontier. If there's any way that the issue could be the service provider itself... I don't know enough about 'net to know if that could be the case... I can switch service... the costs are the same.

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 04-07-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 10:47 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,649,096 times
It could be a faulty wifi adapter and/or the driver (software) it comes with.

It could be a lot of things but that is the first thing I would look at.

Try to see if there are updates available for your wifi adapter. You can do that from device manager.

What OS and what brand/model of laptop?

Old 04-08-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It could be a faulty wifi adapter and/or the driver (software) it comes with.

It could be a lot of things but that is the first thing I would look at.

Try to see if there are updates available for your wifi adapter. You can do that from device manager.

What OS and what brand/model of laptop?
Thank you, GG.

Laptop is HP Envy, Win 10 OS, AMD Ryzen 5. I bought it new about 5-mos ago.

Checked Device Mngr... WiFi driver is up to date. I also ran Troubleshoot... no issues.

I don't really know what I'm looking for other than the above, but I did notice that when I opened...

Settings > Bluetooth & Other Devices

...there are 2 entries. One is Sagemcom F@ST 5280 (no idea what that is... router? modem? Although, I didn't find any of those words or #'s on either device) & the only other entry is my old 11-hr old laptop, which it states is not connected, but it is.

I traveled a lot in the past 5-mos & didn't have any connectivity issues with this new laptop. It only began happening when I moved into this new apt in FL a few mos ago. It's never been dropped or had any trauma to it.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:42 PM

6,462 posts, read 10,499,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Thank you, GG.

Laptop is HP Envy, Win 10 OS, AMD Ryzen 5. I bought it new about 5-mos ago.

Checked Device Mngr... WiFi driver is up to date. I also ran Troubleshoot... no issues.

I don't really know what I'm looking for other than the above, but I did notice that when I opened...

Settings > Bluetooth & Other Devices

...there are 2 entries. One is Sagemcom F@ST 5280 (no idea what that is... router? modem? Although, I didn't find any of those words or #'s on either device) & the only other entry is my old 11-hr old laptop, which it states is not connected, but it is.

I traveled a lot in the past 5-mos & didn't have any connectivity issues with this new laptop. It only began happening when I moved into this new apt in FL a few mos ago. It's never been dropped or had any trauma to it.
Yes the 5280 is router. Some info about it can be found here:
https://portforward.com/sagemcom/fast-5280/

BTW, as you are in an apt, do you have your own Internet/WiFi connection, or is it a shared network in the building ?

Good Luck.......

Old 04-08-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes the 5280 is router. Some info about it can be found here:
https://portforward.com/sagemcom/fast-5280/

BTW, as you are in an apt, do you have your own Internet/WiFi connection, or is it a shared network in the building ?

Good Luck.......
TY... forgot I could google that.

In apt. Have my own Spectrum WiFi. Not shared.

I noticed that many have Frontier here (50-50 actually), but both providers have horrible complaints & Yelp reviews for service in this area. Unsure if it's connectivity issues, like I have experienced, as many posters aren't specific... just pan the whole company.

I was assuming it was some sort of setting or issue with my laptop, since my other laptop & phone never get knocked offline, let alone multiple times in a row & multiple times/day... & in 4-mos, only twice the router needed to be reset due to a local outage... was up & running in 10-15 min.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:25 PM

You laptop is listing your router as one of your "devices" although that is what is providing Wifi. Not an issue.

It's something that is specific to your new laptop that is causing the issue it seems.

Use process of elimination to find the problem. You did state there are no issues with the same laptop at other locations. So we can narrow it down to something between your own wifi and your new laptop or just on the new laptop. You did mention your other laptop and phone remain connected just fine.

Did your new laptop ever work correctly at your apartment? If so, we can assume that the problem developed over time. If not, then we can move on to something else. It may be something in Windows or as I mentioned a faulty wifi adapter.

Unless you use it, try disabling bluetooth on your new laptop. Sometimes that causes interference.

Does it disconnect more in certain areas than others, or is it the same regardless??

Old 04-08-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Did your new laptop ever work correctly at your apartment? If so, we can assume that the problem developed over time. If not, then we can move on to something else. It may be something in Windows or as I mentioned a faulty wifi adapter.
I honestly don't recall if it was always an issue (moved in in Jan), but if it were an issue, it would have only been with this new laptop. If I had to guess, I'd say it's always happened & I ignored it since so many online reviews panned both providers (Spectrum & Frontier) in my area, that I assumed this was par for the course. It wasn't until I began realizing about 2-mos ago that the other devices didn't also have intermittent disconnects that I began to pay more attention & check each device when the new laptop has interrupted service.

Quote:
Unless you use it, try disabling bluetooth on your new laptop. Sometimes that causes interference.

Does it disconnect more in certain areas than others, or is it the same regardless??
I did set up Bluetooth, but it was only to assist with setting up my Garmin GPS for the car in some way... I forget why now. I will disable it & see how it goes for a day or 2, TY.

Room makes no difference. What's "normal" for disrupted service is time. It seems to disconnect around noon, then 3pm, but mostly between 7pm-midnight a few times, always multiple times in a row... sometimes I can sit back & watch it "flash"... off-on-off-on, about 6 times in a row.

TY for your help, GG.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 PM

5,996 posts, read 4,700,952 times
When you connect to wifi do you see YourWirelessName and YourWirelessName-5G ? Whichever one you're currently connected to, connect to the other one for the day.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I honestly don't recall if it was always an issue (moved in in Jan), but if it were an issue, it would have only been with this new laptop. If I had to guess, I'd say it's always happened & I ignored it since so many online reviews panned both providers (Spectrum & Frontier) in my area, that I assumed this was par for the course. It wasn't until I began realizing about 2-mos ago that the other devices didn't also have intermittent disconnects that I began to pay more attention & check each device when the new laptop has interrupted service.

I did set up Bluetooth, but it was only to assist with setting up my Garmin GPS for the car in some way... I forget why now. I will disable it & see how it goes for a day or 2, TY.

Room makes no difference. What's "normal" for disrupted service is time. It seems to disconnect around noon, then 3pm, but mostly between 7pm-midnight a few times, always multiple times in a row... sometimes I can sit back & watch it "flash"... off-on-off-on, about 6 times in a row.

TY for your help, GG.
You are welcome.

Call could call Spectrum and tell them about your issue. Ask if there is a firmware upgrade for your router. It's a long shot but should not cost you anything. At the same time, ask them if the router will do 5Ghz. It's faster and is less prone to interference. Most newer routers will do it. It may already be setup, flamadiddle, the poster before this mentions it. Leave this for later though, let's try some basic troubleshooting.

Try this, go to your wireless network settings and disconnect, then "forget", the network you have been using. Then rediscover, re-enter your password. Connety to the 5g if available, if not available, use the same one.

Leave the laptop as close to router as possible. By doing this and disabling bluetooth, let's see if it still disconnects. This should reduce interference if in fact, that is the issue.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:26 PM

Oh, the irony... couldn't get online yesterday at all on any device, unless I used my phone's Verizon plan's free 4Gig I get every month. Why, I don't know. Had to reset the router multiple times... when I did, I had to reboot every device, even my phone, as everything was frozen. After rebooting, I could get online for mere moments, then I'd immediately be knocked off with a frozen screen... both computers & the Android. So odd.

Today... FL storms, thunder & lightening for hours now, so my lights have been flickering for hours. Haven't been knocked off 'net yet, but I'll wait 'til tomorrow to do more troubleshooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
When you connect to wifi do you see YourWirelessName and YourWirelessName-5G ? Whichever one you're currently connected to, connect to the other one for the day.
Yes... just found the 5G & connected to it on the new laptop. I'll do the same with the old laptop, since I want to watch an online movie & that computer is traditionally slow & sometimes buffers so much, I can't watch & give up. BTW, I just realized that only has happened here... I've successfully watched movies on other WiFi connections & only had minor buffering, if any at all.

Quote:
You are welcome.

Call could call Spectrum and tell them about your issue. Ask if there is a firmware upgrade for your router. It's a long shot but should not cost you anything. At the same time, ask them if the router will do 5Ghz. It's faster and is less prone to interference. Most newer routers will do it. It may already be setup, flamadiddle, the poster before this mentions it. Leave this for later though, let's try some basic troubleshooting.

Try this, go to your wireless network settings and disconnect, then "forget", the network you have been using. Then rediscover, re-enter your password. Connety to the 5g if available, if not available, use the same one.

Leave the laptop as close to router as possible. By doing this and disabling bluetooth, let's see if it still disconnects. This should reduce interference if in fact, that is the issue.
I did as above & am now connected to 5G. Disabled Bluetooth, as well.

BTW, 2 things... my rental office didn't tell me 'til after I moved in & called Spectrum's 800# for WiFi service that we have a community rep we can call & use as our contact, rather than calling the 800# & hanging on for a long time for help. Wasn't sure if I could use him at this point, since I'm sure he gets commission on all new accounts & I'm now an existing customer. But, perhaps I'm wrong & he can help straighten this out, so I'll give him a call on Mon.

In addition, the reason I'm wanting to work this out is I will probably have to get a call center job working from home & need to have stable Internet. Currently, I don't. I'll need to have a hardwired connection, since they forbid WiFi... unsure if that would provide a more stable connection, but I was trying to figure out if it's the provider or something else before spending more money with Spectrum.

Don't want to call Spectrum for a home visit (I'll have to pay for the at-home tech install (I already asked) & may activate the other connection in the bedroom instead, since I can put my desk in there & close the door. Wondering if I should switch to Frontier... neither have contracts, so it's not a big deal.

In any event, I'll use the 5G connection all night & tomorrow, then post back on Monday. Maybe the faster connection will help. Fingers crossed, anyway.

TY again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet