U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 01:11 PM

12,226 posts, read 11,850,951 times

Advertisements

I tried Web of Trust -- it's too slow. Any recommendations for something else that advises me a website is sketchy when I use Firefox?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM

5,082 posts, read 3,556,167 times
Free or Paid?

Most or all AV software comes with web protection. Some better than others.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-14-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 PM

159 posts, read 59,920 times
Browsers have this functionality built in, for example Firefox's Google Safe Browsing. Beyond that, an ad blocker plugin will probably do more good for neutering malicious sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Alternatives to McAffee Site Advisor?-safebrowse.png  

Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 15,329,602 times
I like WoT so much I rolled it out at work. How is it slow for you?

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I like WoT so much I rolled it out at work. How is it slow for you?
I loved it and used it as well for several years.

Privacy issues came up. I dropped it some time back. Kind of a red flag in my opinion. It was useful but as I stated, good AV software comes with similar functionality.

WOT is based on reviews and feedback from users. AV web protection is real-time, in line with what AV software does to begin with.

Quote:
A 2016 Norddeutscher Rundfunk investigation revealed that WOT Services sold user activity data collected from its apps and browser extensions to third parties in violation of the privacy policies of the app stores on which the software was distributed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Services

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

I don't run Norton or Macaffee or any of that.

WoT is fine today.
Just below the part you posted, same article:

"In a blog post published on December 19, 2016, WOT Services stated that they had upgraded their browser extension, and released it in the Google Chrome extension gallery. The upgraded version included "several major code updates in order to protect our users privacy and an opt-out option from the user Settings, for users who do not wish to share data with us but still want to have easy access to WOT. In February 2017, Mozilla reinstated the MyWOT browsing tool in the Firefox add-on store."

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't run Norton or Macaffee or any of that.

WoT is fine today.
Just below the part you posted, same article:

"In a blog post published on December 19, 2016, WOT Services stated that they had upgraded their browser extension, and released it in the Google Chrome extension gallery. The upgraded version included "several major code updates in order to protect our users privacy and an opt-out option from the user Settings, for users who do not wish to share data with us but still want to have easy access to WOT. In February 2017, Mozilla reinstated the MyWOT browsing tool in the Firefox add-on store."
Should be fine. It was never slow for me, don't know where that comes from.

At work, my AV does the same job. At home, I use defender. I have no idea what kind of web protection that offers. I am careful where I click, I know better, some don't.

Old Today, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am careful where I click, I know better, some don't.
Exactly. Before Defender became good, I never ran AV at all on my home PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet