U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:02 AM

660 posts, read 627,390 times

Advertisements

Having an issue, and any ideas would be appreciated.
Let me start out by saying I have very little knowledge of these things, so here is my issue.
I have Fios gigabit internet. I can connect in my detached patio on all my devices except my Roku express. It tells me that it can't find any available connections. I was wondering if a wifi extender would make the signal strong enough for the Roku to find and connect to or if anyone has any other ideas?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 10:23 AM

15,944 posts, read 23,999,241 times
Yes.
Eero is the best, in my opinion. It is not the cheapest.
I have an older version with one base station and 2 satellites. Works great!
https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-e...dp/B08M7F66QS/
In my case, I needed a Wi-Fi signal to reach the Rachio sprinkler controller in my detached garage.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes.
Eero is the best, in my opinion. It is not the cheapest.
I have an older version with one base station and 2 satellites. Works great!
https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-e...dp/B08M7F66QS/
In my case, I needed a Wi-Fi signal to reach the Rachio sprinkler controller in my detached garage.
Thank you!!

Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 AM

14,329 posts, read 7,254,441 times
Note that Eero is not a wifi extender but a mesh network. If all you need is an extender they are easy to get.

How big is your house, how far away is the patio from your router, and do you have both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi enabled?

Old 04-19-2021, 01:11 PM

13,262 posts, read 15,356,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Note that Eero is not a wifi extender but a mesh network. If all you need is an extender they are easy to get.

How big is your house, how far away is the patio from your router, and do you have both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi enabled?

Answer these questions before you spend any money on Eero.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:45 PM

5,978 posts, read 4,646,691 times
Extenders are quirky and troublesome but in your case since you only have a problem with one static device, an extender will work fine.

However, let's take a step back. Roku express only supports 2.4GHz so it's possible that your router or whatever wifi you're currently using only has the 5GHz radio enabled.

What make/model is your router? and do you know how to login to it? We can help if you don't... also, is it possible to move the roku close to the wifi device? If it cannot find the wifi signal when it's sitting next to the router (or close), then an extender would be useless.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Extenders are quirky and troublesome but in your case since you only have a problem with one static device, an extender will work fine.

However, let's take a step back. Roku express only supports 2.4GHz so it's possible that your router or whatever wifi you're currently using only has the 5GHz radio enabled.

What make/model is your router? and do you know how to login to it? We can help if you don't... also, is it possible to move the roku close to the wifi device? If it cannot find the wifi signal when it's sitting next to the router (or close), then an extender would be useless.
So the Roku in the patio was working fine on my second floor. I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Not sure the model and make of router, Verizon gave it to us when we got gigabit and it has no info on it. I have no idea how to log into it.
My house is about 1200 sf and the patio is about 55 ft from the router. I figured I would try an extender first because it seems within my capabilities. Thinking if it didn't work I could return it. Any particular one I should try?
Thank you

Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM

I think my router is Verizon Fios G-1100 Quantum Gateway. Looks the same
Attached Thumbnails
Wifi extender?-61vqc95rlel._ac_sl1500_.jpg  

Old 04-20-2021, 05:15 AM

14,329 posts, read 7,254,441 times
If I’m correct the Express is like the Firestick, right? Do you have it plugged directly into your TV or do you use a HDMI extender dongle?

Do you get WiFi on your phone at the same location as the Roku? If so, and pretty strong, then it’s likely an antenna issue on the Roku I’d think. If not, or it’s poor signal, then likely the house/door is blocking most of the signal.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:27 PM

It's not the fire stick. It has a wire that plugs into the hdmi port. I can get wifi on my phone and laptop in the patio which is why I thought the Roku would work. Is it possible the Roku is just not great at picking up a signal? I will try a wifi extender to see if it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet