U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 11:17 AM

3,559 posts, read 1,869,290 times

Advertisements

It might be the computer that's being identified. Try setting up with a new identity on another computer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 05:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,029,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Screw Reddit.
It is an illiberal, censorious, blight on the internet that abides all things 'groupthink'.
Why do you miss it?
You can pretty much say the about any online forum as it's essentially a human trait. You get a group together, no matter how "open" you want to be. There is always going to be a middle ground established where the "extremes" are going to be 'unacceptable'.

Ban's isn't just about what you say being "against the group's philosophy". It typically is more about personal attacks. No idea the reason behind the OP's ban reason... but just saying that it's not always simply philosophical differences.

To the OP - you may want to just do some google searches on Reddit bans. Funny thing is that there are a lot of people that feel Reddit doesn't do enough (those that are being stalked or harassed). And some posts say they don't do IP bans unless in extreme circumstances as IP bans are clumsy and easily defeated. Unfortunately for you, a lot of these discussions are on Reddit....

Old 04-26-2021, 06:09 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,180,244 times
https://www.torproject.org/download/

Would this work?.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,609,075 times
They don't use just a browser footprint to track you. Here's an example of the stuff reddit collects and they are not unique in this regard. Many sites use cookies to collect data like this, Reddit now using API to track this.

Quote:
internal links you click on

external links you click on

size of your monitor

your local time zone

adblocker installed or not

adblock events (when specific elements are absent)

elements you interact with (seen, mouse over, clicked, dismissed)

scroll behavior (how much of the page have you seen)

size of your browser window

unique browser fingerprint

whether you have Do Not Track enabled or not (lol)

And of course there's the standard stuff that you can get from server logs anyway. IP address, country code, which links you see, click path (referrers)...

For internal links, they also track which subreddit you come from and the specific comment you clicked on. I'm guessing that's probably also used to fight brigading.
Here's a thread that talks about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...king_they_now/

You actually agree to share this when you sign up. It's in the disclaimer.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-26-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-26-2021, 06:58 PM

9,700 posts, read 8,074,758 times
Use Brave Browser. Get a new IP address by cloning the MAC address in your router and then unplugging the cable modem. Use a VPN where you can choose different IP addresses. Clear your browser history after each use. There are numerous ways used to track people these days.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:19 AM

13,309 posts, read 15,409,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Screw Reddit.
It is an illiberal, censorious, blight on the internet that abides all things 'groupthink'.
Why do you miss it?

Reddit is Social media. Like ALL Social media (and like I say constantly) it is very much like Life. It is what YOU make of it.
Are you a miserable prick? You can find that on Reddit.

Are you a Conspiracy nut? That's there.
Like Saab automobiles? There's a group for you there.
Hate politics? It's easy to avoid.
Liek cat videos? Man, are you covered on Reddit!

Old 05-02-2021, 04:50 PM

6,031 posts, read 2,748,241 times
What is the best VPN?

Old 05-02-2021, 05:21 PM

16,702 posts, read 7,020,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
What is the best VPN?

That's a pretty subjective question but the one I see that is most often the top rated or near the top is ExpressVPN. It's one of the more expensive ones, too. I use Surfshark because they are good enough for me and cost a third of Express.

Old Today, 10:53 AM

6,031 posts, read 2,748,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's a pretty subjective question but the one I see that is most often the top rated or near the top is ExpressVPN. It's one of the more expensive ones, too. I use Surfshark because they are good enough for me and cost a third of Express.
Oh, Ok! Thanks! I was looking at EcpressVPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet