U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2021, 12:30 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,900 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My Reddit account received a message that I was permanently banned. I made a different account (with a different email address) and within 24 hours this got banned. I tried downloading a VPN, and a switched from from home WiFi to mobile, but for some reason my account still got banned. I have no idea what is going on? Anybody have any solutions? I tried contacting admin at Reddit, but I just get a generic response.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2021, 12:59 PM
 
16,702 posts, read 7,020,701 times
Reputation: 20444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spk_101 View Post
My Reddit account received a message that I was permanently banned. I made a different account (with a different email address) and within 24 hours this got banned. I tried downloading a VPN, and a switched from from home WiFi to mobile, but for some reason my account still got banned. I have no idea what is going on? Anybody have any solutions? I tried contacting admin at Reddit, but I just get a generic response.
Welcome to the age of digital identity. Generally, any attempt to create a new account will be blocked if you have been banned. Companies use a variety of mechanisms to determine who you are and they aren't going to tell you how they do it. It's possible to see through a vpn but typically it is just that an ip address linked to a vpn is blacklisted. That's what netflix/hulu etc. do. The way some VPNs deal with this is to constantly spin up new servers with new IP addresses. It's a game of whack-a-mole. The free VPNs don't spend the money to do this. That's why the free/cheap VPNs often cannot get around the geo-restrictions of Netflix and the premium ones like ExpressVPN or NordVPN can.

All these forums and social media accounts operate in somewhat similar manners albeit different technologies. Typically, they start off with a few warnings then move to temporary lockouts before banning. Use a little profanity and be rude and insulting to others and they will likely attempt to "rehabilitate" you through warnings and timeouts. At this level, a mod on a community-policed forum like CD might talk to you like a real person but the giants (Fb/Twitter/etc) aren't going to spend the resources.

But egregious offenses can draw an immediate ban. Make a physical threat or incite violence and you're history. Ask Mr. Trump. You either have a history or committed a major offense, in their opinion.

Something else they tend to have in common is that they aren't going to debate it with you or even explain it to you. It would be rare that you get them to reverse a decision.

Your best solution is to move on. Find another forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 01:10 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Welcome to the age of digital identity. Generally, any attempt to create a new account will be blocked if you have been banned. Companies use a variety of mechanisms to determine who you are and they aren't going to tell you how they do it. It's possible to see through a vpn but typically it is just that an ip address linked to a vpn is blacklisted. That's what netflix/hulu etc. do. The way some VPNs deal with this is to constantly spin up new servers with new IP addresses. It's a game of whack-a-mole. The free VPNs don't spend the money to do this. That's why the free/cheap VPNs often cannot get around the geo-restrictions of Netflix and the premium ones like ExpressVPN or NordVPN can.

All these forums and social media accounts operate in somewhat similar manners albeit different technologies. Typically, they start off with a few warnings then move to temporary lockouts before banning. Use a little profanity and be rude and insulting to others and they will likely attempt to "rehabilitate" you through warnings and timeouts. At this level, a mod on a community-policed forum like CD might talk to you like a real person but the giants (Fb/Twitter/etc) aren't going to spend the resources.

But egregious offenses can draw an immediate ban. Make a physical threat or incite violence and you're history. Ask Mr. Trump. You either have a history or committed a major offense, in their opinion.

Something else they tend to have in common is that they aren't going to debate it with you or even explain it to you. It would be rare that you get them to reverse a decision.

Your best solution is to move on. Find another forum.
Hmmmh...is there anyway to get around this? Anyway to change my IP address? Or to clone it?

I have no idea what I did egregiously wrong...is it possible someone on my WiFi network did something, causing everyone to get blocked? I am the only one who uses Reddit on this network.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 01:25 PM
 
16,702 posts, read 7,020,701 times
Reputation: 20444
Quote:
Originally Posted by spk_101 View Post
Hmmmh...is there anyway to get around this? Anyway to change my IP address? Or to clone it?

I have no idea what I did egregiously wrong...is it possible someone on my WiFi network did something, causing everyone to get blocked? I am the only one who uses Reddit on this network.

Is it really that important? You'll likely jump through hoops - use a premium vpn and new unlinked data - and likely slip up and get banned in a short while anyway. Odds are, they ban accounts created from a vpn because they cannot establish who you are or where you are. You might use a vpn server that is currently not on the blacklist, but as I said it's a game of whack a mole and as soon as they associate it with a vpn they will ban the accounts created through it.

The most likely way to get a different ip that will last is to subscribe to a different internet provider. Keep in mind that all of your info needs to be different and *unlinked*. You may have three gmail addresses and use one you've not used before but it is still linked to the one you did. So be sure to change email providers and phone carriers, too. And since they don't publicize their identity detection processes, even this might not get it. Again I ask, is it really that important?


Like I said, you have a digital identity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 03:50 PM
 
14,354 posts, read 7,362,226 times
Reputation: 13907
Not just info but a different browser and/or computer.

It’s not the WiFi causing the problem. He’s been likely nailed by browser fingerprinting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 04:16 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not just info but a different browser and/or computer.

It’s not the WiFi causing the problem. He’s been likely nailed by browser fingerprinting.
Hmmmh any ideas how to remove the browser fingerprint?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 07:26 PM
 
14,354 posts, read 7,362,226 times
Reputation: 13907
Quote:
Originally Posted by spk_101 View Post
Hmmmh any ideas how to remove the browser fingerprint?
Google it. Firefox is one option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2021, 11:22 PM
 
2,357 posts, read 935,009 times
Reputation: 7640
Screw Reddit.
It is an illiberal, censorious, blight on the internet that abides all things 'groupthink'.
Why do you miss it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2021, 08:40 AM
 
176 posts, read 66,099 times
Reputation: 278
spk_101, I'm guessing that you've said something which challenges the popular narrative on reddit. You should take the ban as a message that Reddit is not a place to be unless you're willing to shape and mold yourself to conform.


Expending effort to get back on is akin to pleading "please oh please, master let back onto your controlled platform. I promise to dutifully jump through all of the hoops this time, master".


I would instead recommend looking into dweb / web 3.0 decentralized spaces which do the same thing (link aggregation).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2021, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Southern Idaho
17 posts, read 16,562 times
Reputation: 49
If you use a Chrome browser, switch to Brave. They use open source Chromium as a base, but it is private and uses a different fingerprint each time you fire it up. You can import all bookmarks, etc. from Chrome as well. Ghostery browser is Firefox based and promises anonymity, but is a paid service for all except their most basic service.

Surfshark is an outstanding, inexpensive VPN. You can choose your server from different countries around the world, and even multi-hop through several servers, as well as whitelist sites you use frequently that make you jump through hoops due to the VPN (think banking sites).

Now, having said all of that, as others have mentioned and FWIW, if you do the same thing that got you banned in the first place, the forum's algorithm may ID you by pattern and you're back where you started. The site may not tell you why, but usually you know or have a "sneaking suspicion" what you did. Likely best to move on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top