U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 6,080,551 times

Advertisements

So I'm extremely tech-challenged, have always relied on the office IT team for help, and have no other email address but my professional one, which I've used for virtually everything (including this site). However, I'm retiring, so it's time for a personal email address! I attempted to sign up for one (Google gmail) and think I successfully completed the process, but noticed that upon my next visit to YouTube, my comment appeared with my ACTUAL NAME rather than my former screen name associated with my work email address. Is this going to be the case everywhere I post once my current office address is discontinued? If so, I'm not happy about it! How can I either assume an alias on this and all the other sites I frequent (I assume I'll have to sign up AGAIN with my new address, which I'm dreading) and/or discontinue the new account, if there's a better way to go about this???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

2,986 posts, read 1,024,645 times
Hmmm, well Google LOVES it when they can keep you signed in under your one account across all the Google products.

This should work for your email:
On your computer, open Gmail.
In the top right, click Settings Settings and then See all settings.
Click the Accounts and Import or Accounts tab.
Under "Send mail as," click Edit info.
Enter the name you want to show when you send messages.
At the bottom, click Save changes.

I'll be honest, not sure if the alias will also carry over to Youtube. I think I tried once, and it didn't work...my real name stayed visible. Then I think I saw a slightly different set on YT-specific instructions. It wasn't too important to me so I gave up.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kembro71 View Post
hmmm, well google loves it when they can keep you signed in under your one account across all the google products.

On your computer, open gmail.
In the top right, click settings settings and then see all settings.
Click the accounts and import or accounts tab.
Under "send mail as," click edit info.
At the bottom, click save changes.

I'll be honest, not sure if the alias will also carry over to youtube. I think i tried once, and it didn't work...my real name stayed visible. Then i think i saw a slightly different set on yt-specific instructions. It wasn't too important to me so i gave up.
Thank you!

Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Hmmm, well Google LOVES it when they can keep you signed in under your one account across all the Google products.

On your computer, open Gmail.
In the top right, click Settings Settings and then See all settings.
Click the Accounts and Import or Accounts tab.
Under "Send mail as," click Edit info.
At the bottom, click Save changes.

I'll be honest, not sure if the alias will also carry over to Youtube. I think I tried once, and it didn't work...my real name stayed visible. Then I think I saw a slightly different set on YT-specific instructions. It wasn't too important to me so I gave up.
In order to get rid of your actual name with YouTube, you have to start a channel; even if you never post anything, that allows you to use a different screen name on the site (stumbled across that accidentally).

Now a new problem: I tried to register my new Google gmail address with Meetup (I belong to a number of groups I'll want to still participate in after losing my work email, which I currently use) and found it was "blocked." Why would THAT be? From Meetup in general; not specific groups...

Old Today, 08:50 AM

37,761 posts, read 65,503,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In order to get rid of your actual name with YouTube, you have to start a channel; even if you never post anything, that allows you to use a different screen name on the site (stumbled across that accidentally).

Now a new problem: I tried to register my new Google gmail address with Meetup (I belong to a number of groups I'll want to still participate in after losing my work email, which I currently use) and found it was "blocked." Why would THAT be? From Meetup in general; not specific groups...

Because gmail is The Number One favorite amongst international spammers, hackers, bots, and general criminals.

Old Today, 08:52 AM

So should I create/use another email with another provider? I have no idea what I'm doing here. I just know that access to all the sites I now use and enjoy will disappear along with my work email (I should have addressed this a long time ago).

Old Today, 09:43 AM

37,761 posts, read 65,503,978 times
Quote:
So should I create/use another email with another provider? I have no idea what I'm doing here. I just know that access to all the sites I now use and enjoy will disappear along with my work email (I should have addressed this a long time ago).
There are choices, and plenty of fans or detractors for them.
Do you need secure email?

I don't like gmail. I have it, but I prefer Yahoo email. Plenty of people disagree with me on that, but I am fine with it.

What is your email at the job?
Is it Outlook?
Lots of corporate systems use Outlook and transitioning to a personal Outlook email account might be easiest for you.
www.Outlook.com
Free email and calendar.

If you don't mind paying for email, you can get a personal OneDrive account with stuff like Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, a bit of cloud storage, etc, for a few bucks a year.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,024,645 times
Quote:
I haven't had any of these problems with gmail, except for the lack of effort I put in to try and change my youtube name. I haven't had any issues registering with any website or whatnot.

I wonder, though, if it's not so much a work vs. email thing rather than how your browser stores log-in info.

I do recall when I switched completely over from yahoo to gmail I did have to take some time clearing out auto-fill log-in info, and spent some time on individual websites changing my log-in info.

Maybe a complete browser reset is in order? Or dig in and delete all log-in info?

Old Today, 11:24 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,027,024 times
Quote:
The beauty of gmail is that it's free and you can pretty much create as many of them as you want. It may take a bit of management to track (maybe use a password safe so you have them all in one place). But I've never had an issue with meetup and google. Maybe you happened to use an address that's been flagged in the past?

As for YouTube - just create an email without your actual name for YouTube use. Since YouTube is owned by google, it will try and just use your gmail account (which is actually a Google account and gmail is one of the services available). By having more than 1, you can just "fake" all the pertinent information for unimportant subscriptions, etc. while keeping another one for actual communication use.

You can also do a google search on things you can do with your gmail account. Such as 'periods' are ignored in gmail. So let's say your email is otterhere@gmail.com, you can change it to otter.here@gmail.com or otter.he.re@gmail.com. In many cases, other places will see these as unique. But Google will not. The plus (+) also allows you to append something to it that is ignored by google. So for example - you can give Target your email as otterhere+target@gmail.com. The email will still come to you, but then you can filter it if you start getting spam or see who Target is selling your info to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet