U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 01:19 PM

13,351 posts, read 15,465,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Never had my data stolen or any security issues.
Nor have I.

Quote:
Never gave them any data.
Name, City I live and that's it. No birthday. Now the algorithm has learned a lot about me, but nothing I ever implicitly gave it.

Quote:
The notifications,
Again and again I will say it: IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. Turn off notifications.

Quote:
the insistence on installing apps,
I never get prompted to install apps.

Quote:
messenger
Installed but notifications off.

Quote:
facebook light, constant emails, on my phone, on my PC etc etc.
Never used Lite, don't get emails ever as I've... can you guess? Turned those off.

Quote:
You click 'like' on something, there are even ramifications to that . What's the point of "liking" something. Ever ask yourself that? I think we know.
You sound angry. I know what LIKES are for. Again: is what you make it. I LIKE my friends posts. I don't LIKE posts from any business or organization.

Quote:
A big NO THANKS on FB, it's a big PITA to me. and it IS the discussion, the opposite side of it.
Definite anger.

Quote:
"Once you get in, you can't get out" That sucks BIG time. I can't take it back, too late.
Guessing you said something you shouldn't have on the ol' FB?!?

Quote:
We would not be in the political mess in this country if it were not for social media.
Sort of agree here. We'd still be in a mess but this monstrous division in this country is fanned by Social Media for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:30 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,641,577 times
^^^ Intrusion and invasion of my privacy angers me. I don't like to be bothered or have something forced on me I did not ask for. It's that simple.

I never post anything I would regret so I'm guessing you misunderstood the "once you get in" quote I made.

Let me put it this way. If you were to delete your facebook account (not easy BTW), what would happen to not just your posts but every post where you were tagged, mentioned etc over several to many years? You leave behind a lot of baggage and it doesn't just go away. They would not all magically disappear along with your account, would they?

I do get notifications by the way and I know I can turn them off. I don't even have FB installed on my phone but I still get these pesky notifications. "Try Facebook Light, it's only 2mb or whatever" That bothers me. The FB app and Messenger are part of the plan for these people. They WANT you to install it for more reasons than you may realize. I don't need to go into the details with privacy issues and these apps. Do you trust Zuckerberg? I think he's a scumbag.

I wasn't real clear on the "like" thing so you didn't get my point. Clicking like can be harmless but you are missing the bigger picture. It's part of the algorithm. Just more ways of tracking you for various reasons. Do you actually think the reason behind the like is that innocent? It's not. It's part of your digital footprint. It ALL is.

I avoid politics like the plague. God forbid but if this country goes down, war breaks out or whatever, it will probably be from within. Social media will play a big part in it. I can almost guarantee you.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
On Facebook you can reactivate it....not on Insta tho. BUT...if you’re going to abandon your social media for awhile, it makes sense to delete it so you don’t have to keep monitoring it for stalkers or hackers. I wouldn’t tho...it’s like a lifeline.

History tho...on Facebook? AND...if you like photography...what kind of photos do you post if they are never of a birthday...or special event...or to show feelings? This makes no sense to me.
I never post anything personal. That exactly what I DON'T do. Why would I need to share anything about my birthday? Call me antisocial, I see it as I like my privacy.

These are general interest topics. They are hobbies. I'm sure you are aware of Facebook groups? The topics can vary widely. Cars, electronics, whatever. That is what interests me. Posting pictures of me blowing out the candles on my birthday cake does not.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM

6,498 posts, read 1,892,310 times
Quote:
I never post anything personal. That exactly what I DON'T do. Why would I need to share anything about my birthday? Call me antisocial, I see it as I like my privacy.

These are general interest topics. They are hobbies. I'm sure you are aware of Facebook groups? The topics can vary widely. Cars, electronics, whatever. That is what interests me. Posting pictures of me blowing out the candles on my birthday cake does not.

But I was asking about any pictures on your Facebook...especially if you’re a photographer. I’m not a photographer tho mine is like a thick photo album. AND you can set to private for privacy with different protections on Insta. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 05-12-2021, 05:19 PM

4,820 posts, read 2,024,420 times
Unless you earn your income via social media, it’s not a necessity. What happens on the platform is ultimately up to you. If you choose to follow politically charged accounts, then don’t be surprised when your feed becomes an actual cesspool. I still have a Facebook and Twitter account, but have stopped actively using them a long time ago, due to boredom. I mostly just stick to Instagram these days.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:31 PM

10,044 posts, read 2,710,655 times
Sometimes you just want to have a fresh start and leave the old baggage behind.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM

14,184 posts, read 22,065,286 times
Quote:

Let me put it this way. If you were to delete your facebook account (not easy BTW), what would happen to not just your posts but every post where you were tagged, mentioned etc over several to many years? You leave behind a lot of baggage and it doesn't just go away. They would not all magically disappear along with your account, would they?

My sister deleted her account recently and all of her old posts are gone.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
But I was asking about any pictures on your Facebook...especially if you’re a photographer. I’m not a photographer tho mine is like a thick photo album. AND you can set to private for privacy with different protections on Insta. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, photography is one of my hobbies but as far as Facebook goes it's not on a personal level.

As I mentioned, what I do like on FB are groups and/or pages such as this one. It may be private but it's easy to join. Other interests include certain makes of cars, local and state history etc. I like vintage stuff.

VINTAGE PHOTOS, PICTURES & GIFS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7099...95789073854711

Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My sister deleted her account recently and all of her old posts are gone.
That one is easy. What is not easy are photos where she was tagged. Other people's post where she was mentioned. That sort of thing. There will be traces somewhere.

At one point, FB made it very difficult to delete your account. They may have changed that somewhat due to public pressure.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 AM

6,498 posts, read 1,892,310 times
Quote:
Yes, photography is one of my hobbies but as far as Facebook goes it's not on a personal level.

I don’t know how Facebook isn’t personal tho...that’s the point of it IMO, to only add friends & family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet