U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 07:58 AM

5,165 posts, read 3,660,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don’t know how Facebook isn’t personal tho...that’s the point of it IMO, to only add friends & family.
You obviously don't get it. I don't feel the need to post anything personal. I like my privacy. I don't even like my picture taken. Ever meet anybody like that? lol

Do you like to cook, or collect anything? Do you have any hobbies?

I can assure you there are some groups or pages on FB that you may like if that is the case.

It seems you are taking the name of it literally. Face and Book. Am I correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 08:16 AM

6,555 posts, read 1,916,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You obviously don't get it. I don't feel the need to post anything personal. I like my privacy. I don't even like my picture taken. Ever meet anybody like that? lol

Tho if you’re a photographer, you can take & share all kinds of photos and share them with your friends, not just yourself. Do you like to take pictures of other ppl when you celebrate or are having fun together? That’s what I was 1st asking....it made no sense.

Quote:
Do you like to cook, or collect anything? Do you have any hobbies?

I can assure you there are some groups or pages on FB that you may like if that is the case.

Yes ofc I have hobbies....social media in beauty, fashion & lifestyle. I don’t use Facebook for hobbies or grps tho AND I’m on Insta & Snapchat a lot more than Facebook.

Quote:
^^^ Intrusion and invasion of my privacy angers me. I don't like to be bothered or have something forced on me I did not ask for. It's that simple.

But it is asked for by signing up in the 1st place...especially since you use it for grps & hobbies.

edit:

Quote:
A better question imo is why would anyone want social media to begin with?

The only social media sites I am on are FB, Reddit, Youtube and City-Data.

You say that you don’t know why ppl are on it...but then you say you’re on it too.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-13-2021 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 08:37 AM

299 posts, read 136,319 times
I deleted all my social media accounts.

Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram have their own agendas.

Facebook is for people with issues that need to post all their meals, events, etc. I've seen posts from people that literally tell you what they are doing each minute of every day....Do I care? No.

Twitter is where you go to fight with other members. The worst language, etc. is the way to go. A lot of disrespectful people, crazies, etc. live on Twitter, not to mention that, if Twitter doesn't like you, your account gets deleted.

Instagram is for people who like to tell everyone how wonderful they are, especially music, movie, etc. stars. (or think they are bright shining stars) I don't need to follow the stars to make my life full.

I originally signed up for City Data because I was relocating and was looking for information. I've been a fan ever since.

I didn't realize how many topics, other than relocating, that City Data covers. I find the people on this forum to be respectful even though there are differences of opinions. It's nice to see that.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM

10,133 posts, read 22,529,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
Why would someone delete their social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, etc.? Not just disable with the ability to reactive again at some point but actually completely delete.
Because they can, because they want to, because they didn’t delete it, they blocked you. Why do you care what someone does with their personal social media account?

There are people out there who have never had a social media account.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:27 AM

5,165 posts, read 3,660,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don’t use Facebook for hobbies or grps tho AND I’m on Insta & Snapchat a lot more than Facebook.
That's ALL I use it for. The other part I don't care for. My choice and the last thing I need is more crap do deal with like Insta a Snapchat. I want less, not more. People get obsessed with it, I don't. I've been in IT for going on 40 years, I stare at a computer over 40 hours a week at work and then some at home on the weekends, when I feel like it but I certainly do not go on facebook or any other stuff you mention in my leisure time. Sooner or later you burn out, I know I do.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
That's ALL I use it for. The other part I don't care for. My choice and the last thing I need is more crap do deal with like Insta a Snapchat. I want less, not more. People get obsessed with it, I don't. I've been in IT for going on 40 years, I stare at a computer over 40 hours a week at work and then some at home on the weekends, when I feel like it but I certainly do not go on facebook or any other stuff you mention in my leisure time. Sooner or later you burn out, I know I do.

IMO ppl can burn out on any hobby tho....but you said that the question should be why ppl get on social media at all, when you are on it for history & photography yourself. It made no sense to me. Ofc it’s your choice....like all social media is for everybody. My husband doesn’t really use social media that much....at least not in the same way I do...BUT he is in his 40s. IMO it’s a more natural thing for younger ppl & my Facebook is from high school. Deleting it would eliminate all my old friends & acquaintances...AND it’s the only way I stay in touch with a lot of them.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:33 AM

13,390 posts, read 15,497,522 times
Quote:
I wasn't real clear on the "like" thing so you didn't get my point. Clicking like can be harmless but you are missing the bigger picture. It's part of the algorithm. Just more ways of tracking you for various reasons. Do you actually think the reason behind the like is that innocent? It's not. It's part of your digital footprint. It ALL is.
I totally got your point, bro. It annoys the crap out of me when I see posts from friends and it will say "Jane Likes Mazda"... Jane... don't like brands and stuff on FB...

Old 05-17-2021, 05:26 AM

25 posts, read 3,131 times
Why would someone want to delete FB and such? Have no dispute with FB as finite info listed there inaccurate.
Google is another matter. I avoid if I can due to "profiling" which is commonplace in this "day and age."
I get an unsolicited automated call at least bi-weekly from Google wanting me to activate an account.
A lot of folks choose not to believe that activities, lifestyle, music, etc., is compiled. So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it,(Collin Ray?)

Last edited by TLeeBlanq; 05-17-2021 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-17-2021, 05:48 AM

33 posts, read 56,612 times
I was thinking along the lines that someone would abruptly delete all their social media if they were in trouble and didn’t found to be found by a specific person, felt like they had a stalker, were going through a breakup or depression.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
I was thinking along the lines that someone would abruptly delete all their social media if they were in trouble and didn’t found to be found by a specific person, felt like they had a stalker, were going through a breakup or depression.

O.P...why did you ask the question if you already knew reasons why somebody would.. IMO it’s not super common...but another reason could be that they have fake or multiple accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet