U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2021, 03:47 PM
 
32 posts, read 54,900 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Why would someone delete their social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, etc.? Not just disable with the ability to reactive again at some point but actually completely delete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2021, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
12,764 posts, read 22,953,052 times
Reputation: 19847
Why do you care?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 06:40 PM
 
32 posts, read 54,900 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why do you care?
I am just curious and thought it would make an interesting discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 08:34 PM
 
178 posts, read 68,841 times
Reputation: 313
I did so years ago, for a few reasons at the time;

Principally, because I didn't find much use in them. People who are more social than myself understandably view such a thing as an indispensable tool, but it was easy for me to justify as a low traffic, low engagement, low interest user.
The catalyst was that they announced intentions to begin to introduce ads, on that particular site. I quit out of disgust, emboldened by my already low attachment.
That was when I was essentially a kid. These days my reasons to remain off of whats come to be known as social media have expanded to cover more nuanced subject matter. That is, I do not want to be subjected to dark patterns, technocratic social experimentation, real identify profiling, public opinion manipulation and a whole host of other things which are rapidly goose stepping us all into a nightmare.

In fact, that is particularly why I am drawn to conventional forums like City Data, what with all of their "old", "ugly" and "obsolete" interfaces and conventions. I seek simplicity, self-determination and the kind of people that it naturally attracts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 09:10 PM
 
27,149 posts, read 35,053,119 times
Reputation: 24875
Variety of reasons. Part of me wants to delete my facebook account. I like Instagram, I like sharing photos I take and sharing those adventures.

Facebook is a cesspool. It is a cancer. Very little good comes of the experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2021, 08:57 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,138 posts, read 3,634,618 times
Reputation: 5971
A better question imo is why would anyone want social media to begin with?

The only social media sites I am on are FB, Reddit, Youtube and City-Data. A few other forums but I rarely post and they are all special interest. I only use FB for special interest stuff like history and photography. I don't post what I am having for dinner, how I am feeling at the moment, birthday photos, stuff like that. All of that I can do without. I like my privacy.

I would not miss it for a minute if it was gone. It will never be unless the internet itself disappears. Not happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2021, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,333 posts, read 15,453,880 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A better question imo is why would anyone want social media to begin with?
No, that's really not the discussion at all.
For the record, I found 2 (half) sisters and a brother I didn't even know I had because of Facebook. Went to visit Denise in Atlanta even.

As I say every single time this gets brought up: Facebook is 100% what you make of it. It's a cesspool you say? YOU made it that way. YOU chose to follow those people. My FB feed is full of love and joy and friends and good times. You want to be a @%$&?!? I drop you. It really is that simple.

I do find "Why would someone delete their Social media" an odd question though. Seriously odd. Like how is this such an astonishing thing for someone to do?

Maybe they are just of being marketed to??
Maybe they are tired of data breaches?
https://selfkey.org/facebooks-data-breaches-a-timeline/
Maybe someone was just really toxic and they bailed because they were angry?
Maybe they just dropped you and hid their profile because you're a stalker or an ex boyfriend/girlfriend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,138 posts, read 3,634,618 times
Reputation: 5971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, that's really not the discussion at all.
For the record, I found 2 (half) sisters and a brother I didn't even know I had because of Facebook. Went to visit Denise in Atlanta even.

As I say every single time this gets brought up: Facebook is 100% what you make of it. It's a cesspool you say? YOU made it that way. YOU chose to follow those people. My FB feed is full of love and joy and friends and good times. You want to be a @%$&?!? I drop you. It really is that simple.

I do find "Why would someone delete their Social media" an odd question though. Seriously odd. Like how is this such an astonishing thing for someone to do?

Maybe they are just of being marketed to??
Maybe they are tired of data breaches?
https://selfkey.org/facebooks-data-breaches-a-timeline/
Maybe someone was just really toxic and they bailed because they were angry?
Maybe they just dropped you and hid their profile because you're a stalker or an ex boyfriend/girlfriend?
Never had my data stolen or any security issues. Never gave them any data. I hate the intrusion. The notifications, the insistence on installing apps, messenger, facebook light, constant emails, on my phone, on my PC etc etc. It never stops. You click 'like' on something, there are even ramifications to that . What's the point of "liking" something. Ever ask yourself that? I think we know.

A big NO THANKS on FB, it's a big PITA to me. and it IS the discussion, the opposite side of it.

"Once you get in, you can't get out" That sucks BIG time. I can't take it back, too late.

Never again on any other "social media", Tiktok, Instagram, Twitter etc etc. They can stuff it where the sun don't shine. It's a curse. We would not be in the political mess in this country if it were not for social media.

I'm happy for you that you found some lost relatives. That is not the case for most people, I can assure you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2021, 11:30 AM
 
Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>N/VA
2,530 posts, read 2,811,902 times
Reputation: 9506
Maybe you should ask them? Probably trying to get away from a stage 5 clinger or a stalker...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2021, 01:10 PM
 
Location: NorCal...The Bay Area
6,461 posts, read 1,881,315 times
Reputation: 4880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
Why would someone delete their social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, etc.? Not just disable with the ability to reactive again at some point but actually completely delete.



On Facebook you can reactivate it....not on Insta tho. BUT...if you’re going to abandon your social media for awhile, it makes sense to delete it so you don’t have to keep monitoring it for stalkers or hackers. I wouldn’t tho...it’s like a lifeline.





Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

The only social media sites I am on are FB, Reddit, Youtube and City-Data. A few other forums but I rarely post and they are all special interest. I only use FB for special interest stuff like history and photography. I don't post what I am having for dinner, how I am feeling at the moment, birthday photos, stuff like that. All of that I can do without. I like my privacy.


History tho...on Facebook? AND...if you like photography...what kind of photos do you post if they are never of a birthday...or special event...or to show feelings? This makes no sense to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top