Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 02:20 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

Sometime this year I am getting fiber internet. The company uses a GigaSpire BLAST u6 (rents it to you) but I suspect they will place the outside box on a wall that is near where the power line comes in. This location is a distance from where all my ethernet cables for the computer, TV, Telephone, and printer terminate.

Instead of having the tech (or myself) climb up into the attic to run an ethernet cable to the desired location I am wondering if there is some sort of router that would connect to the GigaSpire BLAST u6.

I'm not really sure what this type of router would be called. If anyone has a suggestion on which brand would be best I would appreciate it. I don't need a long-range unit since the distance is 25 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 07:38 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
They will not place that outside. That is indoor equipment. It is a Modem / Router and it looks like a damn good one supporting the latest WiFi technology.
https://www.calix.com/platforms/exos.../blast-u6.html

At this point I'd not do anything until you get a call that "next Thursday's the day".

Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM

Thanks, Peregrine!

I guess it doesn't pay to anticipate trouble before you actually face it. I honestly have no clue how fiber installs work so I guess it would be wise to wait and see.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:05 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Agree with Perrier.

If you have any CAT5 wiring, you might want to upgrade it all to CAT6 if you were planning on using wired Ethernet connection.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:58 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you have any CAT5 wiring, you might want to upgrade it all to CAT6 if you were planning on using wired Ethernet connection.
Why? Other than costing the OP money, what does this do?

Old 02-08-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why? Other than costing the OP money, what does this do?
I just looked it up out of curiosity. CaTt 5 cables only support 100mbps transfer rates while Cat 6 supports up to 10gb transfer rates. I am only going to get the 300mbps service but it seems like it would be wise to get cat 6 so I can take advantage.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
There is CAT5 and CAT5e cabling. CAT5e supports Gigabit. While CAT5 technically does not, it will likely work fine over short distances. What do you mean by where all my connections terminate? Is that just your current router/switch? If so, just run a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable from new equipment to your existing switch.

If cabling will be a headache, you could also set up a wireless bridge.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:38 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
There is CAT5 and CAT5e cabling. CAT5e supports Gigabit. While CAT5 technically does not, it will likely work fine over short distances. What do you mean by where all my connections terminate? Is that just your current router/switch? If so, just run a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable from new equipment to your existing switch.

If cabling will be a headache, you could also set up a wireless bridge.
Probably has a patch panel in the basement or attic where all the cables terminate from when the house was built (assuming the builder is who ran the cables). Lot of new-ish houses that were built with cabling already installed to every room. You go from the panel to a switch/router. Unless it's old as Moses though, I'd expect it to be at least Cat5E if that's the case.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:29 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I suspect what RebelTeen said would be the case.
I, too, seriously doubt a company provided wiring, unless older than 15+ years to be anything less than CAT5e which essentially is adequate for most any home (patch) wiring though I was mainly referring to the cables you might be using to connect the computer to the modem.
Check the cable as this info would be printed on it. It should be at least CAT 5E but since the price difference between CAT5e and CAT6 is much less now, it might be worth upgrading.

As you found out, CAT5e has Gigabit (up to 1Gbps) speed which is seemingly more than you'd utilize but CAT6, besides the 10x speed, has much better bandwidth (250MHz if I am not mistaken) which might further future-proof your wiring while also providing better overall performance.

Better speed means data moving faster but bandwidth would allow larger chunks of data being moved at the same time which for things like online gaming or video streaming, would make a difference.
If it is relatively inexpensive to upgrade the weakest link, why not do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet