Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

https://satellitemap.space/

Pretty neat site showing the position of all Starlink satellites and ground stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 11:52 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
https://satellitemap.space/

Pretty neat site showing the position of all Starlink satellites and ground stations.
You'll probably like this set of graphics from the NY Times that shows the current extent of Starlink.

This gift link WILL get you past the paywall and in to see the incredible graphics used by the NY Times in this article.

Excerpts from the narrative:

Quote:
Mr. Musk, who leads SpaceX, Tesla and Twitter, has become the most dominant player in space as he has steadily amassed power over the strategically significant field of satellite internet. Yet faced with little regulation and oversight, his erratic and personality-driven style has increasingly worried militaries and political leaders around the world, with the tech billionaire sometimes wielding his authority in unpredictable ways.

Since 2019, Mr. Musk has sent SpaceX rockets into space nearly every week that deliver dozens of sofa-size satellites into orbit. The satellites communicate with terminals on Earth, so they can beam high-speed internet to nearly every corner of the planet. Today, more than 4,500 Starlink satellites are in the skies, accounting for more than 50 percent of all active satellites. They have already started changing the complexion of the night sky, even before accounting for Mr. Musk’s plans to have as many as 42,000 satellites in orbit in the coming years.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:44 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
This is pretty interesting. Our local weather guy tells us every time there's going to be a group of his satellites "marching" across our skies.

We have Starlink and we love it. The only time it ever goes down is when the weather is really, really bad. But then I just switch to Verizon's and watch the weather that way.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:24 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
This is pretty interesting. Our local weather guy tells us every time there's going to be a group of his satellites "marching" across our skies.

We have Starlink and we love it. The only time it ever goes down is when the weather is really, really bad. But then I just switch to Verizon's and watch the weather that way.
What speeds are you getting, up an down? Just curious.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:57 AM

I'm at work right now so my app can't tell me, but when I get home I'll check it out.

But it supports 7 TVs, 2 laptops, and a multitude of phones. Obviously not all on at once, but when we have a watch party (like we will New Years for the Rose Bowl), we have 4 TVs going, with 2 of them downstairs and outside on the patio, and several people on their phones, and we have no issues. Unless there is terrible weather.

I will say that placement of the dish is important. We have it mounted on the top of our chimney. If your house is surrounded by trees, the signal has to be able to get to the dish.

The neat part is you can take it with you. It's totally portable. This is the first generation dish, but now they have smaller ones specifically for RVers and such.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:35 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I am in southern middle Tennessee and my speeds average around 100mbps download and 20mbps up. I live alone so I can't comment on how many devices these speeds can support. It is so much better than the Verizon 4G system I was using at about the same cost (110 vs 120) but Verizon had a 100GB data cap.

Last time I checked you can get Starlink "roam" for 150/mo immediately and they will allow you to convert to a fixed address which costs 120/mo eventually. (I converted after three months)

Old 01-10-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post

Sorry I never got back to you on this. At about 8pm on the 28th with guests over, it was 49 Mbps; 13 Mbps up, 29 ms latency.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 01-10-2024 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet