Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:00 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,730,512 times

Advertisements

IDK, I don't like either millionaire but they are American millionaires employing 1,000s of Americans and leading the world, as usual, in technology. This I applaud and am proud of. I get it both men and companies have done some sketchy s***, but GD IT, I'd rather have American companies and American millionaires doing sketchy s*** instead of a Chinese or Russian company.

Can you imagine if Twitter and FB were as big as they are but they were Russian owned companies?
Might be an odd way to look at it, I guess, but I for one LOVE Microsoft, Apple, Google, Twitter. Like, don't love FB\Insta. Every one, an American company. I'd rather live in this world then a version where we AREN'T the leaders in Software, Social, Phones etc...

Actually annoys me when people say they HATE Apple, Microsoft, Google. Hate is far too strong a word if you are an American. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 10:41 AM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Since Musk is shooting coffin nails into twitter with an AR-...
As I am pretty much a space alien, simply observing earth from time to time, but mostly living under a rock...

What is it that you see as Musk shooting nails into twitter's coffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I prefer Twitter but the algorithm needs to be improved so more actual news is displayed.

The way it is now, you have to know what to look for - like "French riots," otherwise, you'll be ignorant of what's going on.

TikTok is better for news and current events, but that should be Twitter's main thing and the way it is now is super weak.
I find that to be the problem everywhere I go. I call it the age of "click bait," where everything is click bait, with mostly recycled news that I got yesterday, and don't need again.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:38 AM

4,874 posts, read 4,816,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
EM is just ticked off that Twitter is currently worth barely 1/4th what he paid. Whether Twitter was worth $44 billion EM forked over is up for debate.

No, it's been determined that Musk overpaid. The only question is by how many billions. His first mistake was agreeing to purchase for a stated price without doing any due diligence or auditing Twitter's financials and systems.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:31 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
No, it's been determined that Musk overpaid. The only question is by how many billions. His first mistake was agreeing to purchase for a stated price without doing any due diligence or auditing Twitter's financials and systems.
I agree. He should have had someone (preferably someone hostile to twitter) do an analysis of the bot situation. My own research came up with more than what twitter (apparently) told him.

I am still curious what people think he did, to shoot nails into twitter's coffin.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,867,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I find Musk to be far less objectionable than Zuckerberg.
Agreed!

Old 07-13-2023, 08:50 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I am still curious what people think he did, to shoot nails into twitter's coffin.
In my view, by requiring you to have to have a Twitter account in order to read anyone else's tweets, I believe Musk has vastly cut down the viewership of Twitter.

Wants to charge people to have Twitter accounts in order to post? No problem.

But requiring everyone to have a Twitter account in order to read tweets is ridiculous ... he's basically sealed Twitter into a closed system. You'd be paying to post behind a paywall where no one who's not paying cannot see your tweets.

He has said that he did it to keep scraping (copying tweets) from occurring, but I'm not sure of that. And, in the meantime, why bother to pay to post behind a paywall, when others not paying can't see your tweets?

Last edited by DianeV; 07-13-2023 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-13-2023, 09:20 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
In my view, by requiring you to have to have a Twitter account in order to read anyone else's tweets, I believe Musk has vastly cut down the viewership of Twitter.

Wants to charge people to have Twitter accounts in order to post? No problem.

But requiring everyone to have a Twitter account in order to read tweets is ridiculous ... he's basically sealed Twitter into a closed system. You'd be paying to post behind a paywall where no one who's not paying cannot see your tweets.

He has said that he did it to keep scraping (copying tweets) from occurring, but I'm not sure of that. And, in the meantime, why bother to pay to post behind a paywall, when others not paying can't see your tweets?
I don't give money to either of them.
So like a few hundred million others, I am fine having accounts with both to read stuff. When Threads provides a PC solution, I will spend a lot more time there.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I don't give money to either of them.
So like a few hundred million others, I am fine having accounts with both to read stuff. When Threads provides a PC solution, I will spend a lot more time there.
Okay. Not sure what you meant about not giving money to either of them.

For Twitter, you have to have an account to read others' tweets (posts), and you have to pay for it. It's only something like $8USD a month (last I read), but there you have it. Anyone not paying can't read your tweets.

Which means, bottom line, that a lot fewer people will read Twitter. If it doesn't turn out that way, great; but that's what I foresee.

Anyway ...

Old 07-13-2023, 09:49 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
Okay. Not sure what you meant about not giving money to either of them.

For Twitter, you have to have an account to read others' tweets (posts), and you have to pay for it. It's only something like $8USD a month (last I read), but there you have it. Anyone not paying can't read your tweets.

Which means, bottom line, that a lot fewer people will read Twitter. If it doesn't turn out that way, great; but that's what I foresee.

Anyway ...
I think you are in error in your understanding. $8 just gets you a blue check mark, "Verified," and some exposure.

I don't, and won't, pay twitter a penny. That limits the exposure of my tweets, retweets, and replies, but I get likes, retweets, and replies from mostly unverified people.
And, I follow people and read their tweets regularly. No problem at all.

You have to pay to be "Verified." I won't.

I don't, and won't pay Facebook, Instagram, or Threads a penny, either.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I think you are in error in your understanding. $8 just gets you a blue check mark, "Verified," and some exposure.

I don't, and won't, pay twitter a penny. That limits the exposure of my tweets, retweets, and replies, but I get likes, retweets, and replies from mostly unverified people.
And, I follow people and read their tweets regularly. No problem at all.

You have to pay to be "Verified." I won't.

I don't, and won't pay Facebook, Instagram, or Threads a penny, either.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood that. Thanks!

Bottom line still stands, though: without a Twitter account, apparently you can't read peoples tweets/posts.

Unlike these forums, where you can read to your heart's content without joining. You just can't post without joining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet