Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2023, 01:45 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times

Advertisements

When I need to sign in to Yahoo, to read my junk mail which has a Yahoo address, I get a notice that there is some suspicious stuff going on and now I have to add an additional piece of info that then is sent to me via SMS to my phone.

This has been going on for quite a while now, and I did change my password!

How long will this be required or is there a way to eliminate this requirement?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 07:06 AM

1,100 posts, read 649,920 times
Exactly what does it say word for word?

Old 08-28-2023, 07:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Using a code sent to your phone is a great way to keep your email secure. It should not ask you this every time though.
Are you saying it does?

Old 08-28-2023, 09:22 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
I have 2 Yahoo accounts. When accessing via webmail, I too get this "pop-up" re "suspicious activity" also, but only on 1 of the 2 accounts. I just click the "Remind Me Later" line and move on.

Has been happening now regularly. My suspicion is it has to do with what spam Yahoo detects and puts in the spam folder, which I clear out about once a month. The spams they detect are usually pretty obvious "phishing" attempts.

I use Thunderbird for day to day access, and never see the spams that Yahoo detects. Of course the can't detect 100% so some get through, but I just delete them in TB.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:04 PM

This is what I see...
Attached Thumbnails
the need for additional info entry when using Yahoo...-text_02.jpg  

Old 08-28-2023, 04:04 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Oh well, that's different from my popups.

For what ever reason, Yahoo wants you to set up a "two factor authorization, aka 2FA" choice. I would use the email choice.

I've not seen this with Yahoo (yet), but do use 2FA on all financial, etc websites.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:26 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
And I would use the texting.

Didn't answer: how often? Is it every time?

Old 08-30-2023, 02:20 PM

I went away for a couple of days and when I came back and tried to sign in again, I did not get the two part security question anymore. Everything is like it was before...

No idea what is going on.
Before it was every time I tried to sign in, for at least a couple of months...

Since this mail addy is for my "junkmail" (the address I use when some store asks me to sign up for whatever), I was not that concerned about it...

Old 09-05-2023, 01:51 PM

166 posts, read 96,719 times
Have an account for decades began in the days with all fake info and no phone #; until later when a phone # was required. That "Suspicious Activity" popup just started recently even after repeated phone authentication. I delete all cookies & browsing history frequently, but the mail account was stored by a password manager with no problems logging in until recently with "Suspicious Activity."

So with some reluctance, in Edge under Cookies & Site Permissions I Allow:

mail.yahoo.com and login.yahoo.com while still blocking the main yahoo.com--don't use that page and never login there.
This seems to have stopped those popups. Given this might be a recent system glitch, I'll be experimenting with deleting those cookies soon.

That verify data popup appears about every 6 months so unsure if allowing the cookies will appease it.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:42 PM

8,328 posts, read 13,462,277 times
OP (and anyone who is curious),

Check your account activity, especially when you get such unexpected, odd warnings, you should always take a few minutes and check your account activity asap!!
Any devices/Apps that shouldn't have any access or no longer used or unknown should immediately be removed!
While you are in there, check and confirm/update your contact info as applicable.

PS. If a legit device or app access was removed, they can be re-inputted/assigned - when you have suspicious account activity or the account was hacked, better to be safe and remove everything and start over, including a password reset!
Attached Thumbnails
the need for additional info entry when using Yahoo...-yahoo-recent-account-activity.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet