Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

294 posts, read 829,298 times

Advertisements

Hey, I keep reading press about Twitter.com and what a great marketing tool it is.

Not sure I understand the value of this tool.....looks like you post what you're currently doing for the world to see? Is that it?

To give full disclosure, I never thought blogs were very valuable either...opps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I bet these folks here could tell you all about Twitter.
Internet Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

I haven't joined.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM

140 posts, read 1,654,213 times
yeah, twitter is a micro-blog site where you can IM or text short messages that get posted on your page. Generally there is a 140 character limit for each post (approximate).

That the core of it.

You can control whether the world sees your posts (called "tweets" I think), or just twitter members, etc.

Now you can "subscribe" or "follow" other users so that you can watch the updates that they make on their site. Depending on how often they, and you, post, you may end up knowing what they had for breakfast every day, or you may just get a post once a week about some significant thought they had. Obviously if you subscribe to too many friends who post often, you may want to change your preferences so that you don't get a text message every time they post.

It could be used as a collaboration tool as well, thought it is mainly meant to be social. If you had two or three people working on a project, especially if some of them were remote, and only had cell phones with them.... they could post to Twitter the status of their progress, and the whole group would stay informed. And via the web interface, the boss could keep track as well as send out messages to everyone himself.

Twitter also has integration with other tools, since it has become so popular. I think it integrates with Remember The Milk: Online to do list and task management, a popular todo list site.

Article on using Twitter for work....
Twitter: Twitter for work

Some other articles on Twitter from this very helpful site....
twitter - Lifehacker

Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,686 times
Just to give you a "real life" example of how Twitter can work wonders...

My co-worker was pondering whether to order a pair of shoes on Zappos.com.

She tweets (writes a Twitter post) about how excited she is that she found these shoes on Zappos...still not sure if she is going to buy them yet...so she tweets a message to the people at Zappos (who are also on Twitter).

Zappos sees her tweet and they tweet back to her, offering her free rush shipping if she buys today.

the free rush shipping offer pushes her over the edge and she decides to take the plunge and buy the shoes from Zappos.

Wow. I was impressed - Twitter is cool as a marketing tool bc it allows consumers to talk to companies when they want to, instead of just being spammed (which is usually what happens in other mediums like email marketing).

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times
And be sure to add Zappos to your twitter friends. They did a promotion not long ago where they were giving away free stuff to those following them on Twitter. It was a great promotion.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM

10 posts, read 51,795 times
Default twitter

Twitter is a service for friends ,family and co-workers to comunicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick ,frequent answers to one simple question :what are you doing ---------i help this helped you

Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
Using the shoes example, why wouldn't sending an email be the same? What's the advantage of using twitter?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
Twitter is instantaneous, so they say. But the other would have to be looking at it or it's not instantaneous?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM

573 posts, read 801,307 times
The "latest" buzz, rumors, reactions, comments are available using a Twitter Search instead of a generic Google search.

For example, I like Crunchbang Linux. If I want a quick glance about anything "new" about Crunchbang, I fill in "Crunchbang" in the searchbox on the Goo++ search site and click on the Twitter button.

What I get back is just a pithy summary of the most recent forum, blog, and other Twitter comments about Crunchbang Linux. This is far more currently "relevant" than what I would get from a general search.

Last edited by Tennis702; 04-03-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
I honestly doesn't see any value to Twitter. I don't have the time nor the interest to read that my friend is now wiping his ass after eating a bowl of chili. I have better things to do with my time. That said, I also have no interest in maintaining anything on MySpace or Facebook. I simply prefer to spend my time doing other things. Just a matter of preference.

Last edited by Bo; 02-01-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet