Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 03:44 PM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 05:29 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,827,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Will you pay for it so we can read it?
I already told you how to do it yourself.... now you need someone to do it for you?

Old 04-16-2024, 09:45 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I guess I don't understand the problem since I don't think I have a problem with e-mail.

Could someone please summarize the problem?

I've started using e-mail at my office back in the days of primordial soup and dial-up modems.

Then we moved to personal e-mail accounts for easy communication with friends and businesses.

Now I have several e-mail accounts for different purposes.

I have never been informed that my e-mail space is overloaded or exceeding capacity.

I don't pay for my e-mail accounts.

What problem am I missing?
The problem I've seen is too many people don't actually read/process their email. I know many at work who simply put in a bunch of rules on where to move email based on topic or sender, but never actually read the email or trash it. They only read the email when someone calls them asking why they haven't responded. Then they do a search and say something like "I was just looking over that...." Ok, I somewhat get that on personal email, but these are business related so ignoring them isn't the smartest thing. Had a boss where things constantly died in his email which created constant "emergencies" for us to work the overdue item.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:37 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I already told you how to do it yourself.... now you need someone to do it for you?
Yep. Don’t have the money.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,060,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Because they bring up interesting topics worth a discussion.

If you can't read the article, there's almost always a subscribe button/link somewhere on the page so you can.
So I can end up on more marketing lists to clutter up my email inbox? Pass.

Rather fitting that such a comment was made on a thread about managing modern-day email, and what a mess it's become.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Why not? It brings topics up for discussion and research as seen in this thread, and NYT is cheap for the volume of content they provide.
And, there is no forum rule against paywalled articles.
Are you sure? A regular poster recently mentioned he got a time out for continually posting paywall links "for discussion". These articles aren't appropriate for public discussion on a forum like this if one has to pay to play.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:11 PM

43,372 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Are you sure? A regular poster recently mentioned he got a time out for continually posting paywall links "for discussion". These articles aren't appropriate for public discussion on a forum like this if one has to pay to play.

Link me to the poster so I can see, please.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Link me to the poster so I can see, please.
I honestly don't recall other than I know it's a male poster and he mentioned it in a thread somewhere during the past week. After he posted that I took at look at the FAQ and didn't see anything against posting paywall links. Either way, I wish people would stop posting links to the paywalls. The majority of people don't subscribe to NYT or whatever media outlet and there are reasons behind that.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:08 AM

1,065 posts, read 473,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
So I can end up on more marketing lists to clutter up my email inbox? Pass.
What marketing lists are you talking about?

Old 04-18-2024, 07:29 AM

2,004 posts, read 973,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
What marketing lists are you talking about?

Are you not aware that advertisers are what keep most media companies afloat? If you decide to pay for one of these, you have to enter your personal information, which opens you up to their marketing and advertisers sending you constant emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet