Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
How about using a phone line, instead?

All you need is 4 wires in the cable AND it needs to be twisted pair. Cat5 has 8 wires, but all you need is 4 to get the interbutts. You'll be running at half duplex, but you wouldn't notice unless you were transferring stuff on a network. I honestly don't know if telephone wire is twisted (I never really payed attention), but if you happen to have some, go for it. You need the twist to keep your packets intact and keep a good signal/noise ratio. I would assume telephone wire would need to be twisted pair for the same reason cat5 is, but then again I really don't know. We would run network over plain telephone wire at work in the -old- buildings where we were too lazy to run cat5 or it was near physically impossible, but they were short hops.

Here is instructions on making your own cable:

How to Make a Category 5 /5e Patch Cable

Since you're not planning on using cat5 you are going to crimp your wire using only pins 1, 2, 3, 6 instead of all 8 as shown. It honestly doesn't matter what colors you use, but they have to be identical on both ends. You have a crimper?

Last edited by J Arp; 06-13-2008 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: More info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:24 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
In my limited experience with CAT 5, I found it to be a little bit expensive. The modem and router are in the front of the apartment, and my computer is in the back. I had to get two lengths of the longest they had. Seems like it cost close to a 100 bucks. I don't know why was so much. Maybe it's cheaper, now, that was about four years ago.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
You bought it from the rip-off computer hut in town didn't you? I bet those guys love making a 10ft cable and charging you 25 bucks for it. The ends are the most expensive part, they cost about 2 bucks each. I never thought about how much the wire cost until I got into IT and found out.. I know I'm never buying from the local computer shops again.

You can buy a box of 1000ft of cat5 for about a hundred bucks. Ten cents a foot in bulk. Granted, since you're running this outside you'll want to go for the outdoor rated stuff which will about double the price. Go googling for "cat5 1000ft" or "cat5 outdoor 1000ft". If you want to try phone wire 1000ft outdoor rated is about 50-70 bucks. I'd only use phone line if you had a lot of it already laying around just incase it doesn't work that well.

Before you go buying anything though I would plot out the exact route you want the cable to go and measure it as accurately as possible. If the entire length of the route is approaching 500+/- feet I would forget about it. At that length your packets are going to have to be re-transmitted more and more which you won't really notice except your speed will be slower. Then you would be out about 150$ that could have gone to a real nice wireless bridge setup.
Also I don't know anything about causing ground loops and such like someone else pointed out so you might want to look into that.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
it is coz you bought in a store.. if you ordered in the internet you will saved 95% off the store price. internet stores are the best for prices IMO. the downside is the waiting time and if ever you wanna return your purchase.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Ha! Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:28 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
The OP stated he couldn't run cable because there was a river between his house and his parents'.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
The OP stated he couldn't run cable because there was a river between his house and his parents'.
You need to read more carefully...he said...and I quote..

"Yes, I could put up coax to their house,"

go back and reread his second posting

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
You need to read more carefully...he said...and I quote..

"Yes, I could put up coax to their house,"

go back and reread his second posting
I stand corrected!

By the way, HughesNet satellite internet runs $59.99-99.99 per month. That's probably more than cable is costing.

HughesNet High-Speed Internet for Your Home (http://go.gethughesnet.com/plans.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Also, there is this. I guess you can go anywhere, anytime with a laptop and get Internet.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Also, there is this. I guess you can go anywhere, anytime with a laptop and get Internet.
It is basically a cell phone modem, and really only works well if your near on of their high density populations. Look at the coverage map for your provider and ask them lots of questions before committing to this.

I use a pair of older linksys routers in bridged mode with third party software. Sveasoft.com This has worked for me pretty flawlessly for three years. For 500 feet, line of sight and a directional antenna would be recommended. As distance increases throughput decreases, so instead of 54mbs, you might get 12 to 24mbs, which is still faster than most internet connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet