Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,360 times

Advertisements

My parents computer, which connects to the internet via a linksys wireless-g pci card all of a sudden doesn't show our main router on the list of wireless network connections. I am on a different computer and connect wirelessly just fine as does another computer as well. Only my parents computer just randomly stopped showing our connection in the list. So now they have no internet? I just finished reformatting their pc, switched out a different wireless pci card all with the same results. Our wireless router doesn't show up. What else can i Do? its working fine from my pc?? What else can i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,953 times
Did you format the hdd before or after the problem? If before you probably lost the driver. Download a new driver for the pci wireless card. then install the software before installing the linksys pci card. Follow the directions. shut down, install card and reboot. Set up card for security if you use it.
If problem occured before reformatting then move computer closer to wireless router temporarialy to test range issues. Rescan for available networks. Do you see any available networks? Give us more info.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
Have you had any stormy weather?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Is the connection being controlled by Microsoft or the software that came with the wireless card? Sometimes cards work better with their own software, sometimes not.

A good test, if you can do it, would be to remove the card from your PC and test it in theirs. You have a known working card with the information from your setup to use as a test.

When you put in the new card did you use the same slot in the mobo? If yes, try a different slot.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Did you format the hdd before or after the problem? If before you probably lost the driver. Download a new driver for the pci wireless card. then install the software before installing the linksys pci card. Follow the directions. shut down, install card and reboot. Set up card for security if you use it.
If problem occured before reformatting then move computer closer to wireless router temporarialy to test range issues. Rescan for available networks. Do you see any available networks? Give us more info.

ive tried 2 different pci and changed the pci slots as well. reinstalled the drivers, and everything. the router isn't that far and it has always worked fine. it just randomly stopped working. so then i reformatted the hard drive and tried it after that and it will not show my router on the list of available connections. it shows my neighbors connection which is far away, and has WEP encyption, but will not show my router which is right in the next room. my router has extended range and everything, and works fine on every other pc in my house that connects wirelessly. but my parents pc just randomly will not show my router any more in the list of connections. i dont know what to do. my parents don't want a cat 5 cable running through the living room if you know what i mean.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
One option is to replace your router. This happened to me as well. I have had the old router for at least 5 years and discovered that linksys routers don't work forever. Try replacing the router and reprogramming the internet connection with it.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM

I ruined my router once, when the AC guy came to fix the compressor. He told me to flip switches in the box until it turned shut it down. In the process, the router got a surge that it couldn't take. From now on it will be plugged into a surge protector.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
One option is to replace your router. This happened to me as well. I have had the old router for at least 5 years and discovered that linksys routers don't work forever. Try replacing the router and reprogramming the internet connection with it.
Yeah, but other PCs connect wireless.

All right stretch time. Have you changed the direction the antenna points? I'm downstairs and unless I point mine parallel to the floor I don't get a good signal.

Any new construction, remodel, move any furniture between the PC and router? Add a TV or stereo, new wiring? Start using an electrical outlet in the vicinity that wasn't used before?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Have you checked the router to see if there is a list of allowed mac addresses? I can't for the life of me remember if this is applicable to wireless. If the router has a setting that is blocking, or not allowing, this PC then no matter what you do it won't connect.

In my previous post I almost asked if anyone in the house had new braces on their teeth. Told you I was stretching!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Might have a mobile phone next to his puter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet