Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 363,692 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

Well, while I like the customer service with Brighthouse, I'm reaching the end of my rope with its lack of reliable internet service. I can understand the net clipping out during harsh storms, etc...but, every day this week, my internet service is out for at least 10 minutes, and today it was out for nearly 30 minutes! I called BH, and the cust service rep apologized and said...'I will send a signal to your router.' Huh?

Now, it's obviously working, but no lie, in the past year of having this service, our internet service has gone out at least 50 times. 50 times in a year? Probably more, I stopped counting. And sometimes for over 30 minutes. There had been slight improvement about a month ago, I thought maybe in our prior home, something was causing the problem. But, here we go again--weekly outages, and sometimes daily.

I'm over it, and I have filled out customer surveys reporting this...and nothing changes. Still, weekly and sometimes daily outages. My neighbors and coworkers complain about it as well. Not sure why they have so many outages--if it's on purpose to save money...or what. But, I would like to report this company to be investigated by whatever company regulates them--anyone know who to report Brighthouse to? I did a google search, and the Florida Public Service Commission only handles eletric, water, etc...not cable and internet consumer complaints.

Your help is appreciated--thanks!

If after complaining, nothing changes--I'm going to ditch BH...their customer service is great, but I can't keep having daily internet outages likes this.

Last edited by Sharon2226; 08-10-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 AM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
Have you tried a new modem or router? We've used BH since we moved here and have never had any outages and we use the computer all day and all night!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Call and ask to speak to a manager, politely but if they give you any problem be firm and don't accept anything other than a manager. If necessary threaten to call local TV station, write a letter to the CEO and/or cancel your account.

While the ppl you are talking with are nice and may know enough to do certain things they are not equipped to handle your type of problem. Most problems are fixed by doing certain things, sending a signal to your router is one of those things. That is like with your computer.. call the help number and you will get 'delete cookies, temp files. reboot' That is a standard on the list of things to try. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be something on their end with the connection.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
You'd complain to your local franchising agent, your city, or town or county whatever for internet. Could be listed on your bill....

Also you can see what the FCC has to offer

Television and Cable FAQs.

I also saw that in Florida another place to complain is:

Florida Department of Agriculture
Division of Consumer Services
2005 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399-6500

Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 PM

91 posts, read 363,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbecky79 View Post
Have you tried a new modem or router? We've used BH since we moved here and have never had any outages and we use the computer all day and all night!
Hi becky...no, it's not the router, unfortunately. We actually bought a new router, and the problem is still the same...daily outages this week, and weekly outages for the past year. We moved also in July, and thought maybe it was the way things were installed in the prior home. Nope--still same unpredictable service. I might give it some more time before calling...I am not one to complain, but it's gone on a while...

I wonder if it's Land O'Lakes that is more of the issue, than other areas of Tampa...because neighbors of mine, and coworkers who live out near me, complain of similiar outages.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
For Bright House, go to Corporate: Home - Bright House Networks Corporate. All the info for all the counties that Bright House services will be on this website, including phone numbers and email addresses.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
FTC

Don

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Sharon, when you're having an 'outage' what is actually happening? Does your browser say 'Page cannot be displayed'? Does it just sit and crank endlessly with no web page? How many lights on your modem? Is the Internet light green, amber, does it blink or blank? Are there particular web pages that might load better than others? Do they time out while loading?

When you have another outage try this > go to the START button.... and click it
go to > RUN
on the Open: line type > cmd - then click okay
a black window opens...
Type > ping yahoo.com > then press enter

What happens... a 'Reply from ....numbers go here...'
Or 'Request timed out'

If you get a 'Replyfrom ...numbers...' then the problem is local
If you get a 'Request time out' then type
tracert yahoo.com - and press enter

Do you get a list of number stuff or 'Request timed out'

If you get a list but not able to get a web site with your browser then there's a routing problem somewhere 'out there' or could be in your TCP/IP settings, DNS or browser.
If you get a 'Request timed out' then you may have a cranky firewall problem.

Trouble shooting Internet connectivity can be 'problematical' and difficult to pinpoint.

And finally, there isn't really anywhere to complain about DSL service. Internet is not one of those 'life support' services and is not a regulated service in the sense of electricity, water or phones. But you can complain to your Public Utility Commission.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
You could try the BBB and you can complain to some telecommunications boards if it's the cable kind I believe.. (I’m also assuming you don’t have a choice to change to a Coax provider as you might find better stability there)

I'd also suggest you think about changing ISP's you might be happier with EVDO provided by Alltel, Verizon or Sprint (and all if it's sprint or alltel they roam on each other) on average it's 1 mbit download and 120 ms to 200 ms ping times which equates to 3-4 second page loads.. (there is satellite broadband out there but I wouldn't suggest it..)

When I had intermittent issues with ADSL provider.. I just gave up cause they didn't care and no new modem would have solved it.. in my case those cause it was ADSL I had a choice between Fast Path and I believe it was called "Safe Mode" which was a 30 ms difference and did provide stability just a giant speed loss and I believe mbit loss too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet