Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,745,547 times

Advertisements

Im moving in with my friend who has ATT Internet.
I need Internet in my room so im guessing wireless would be easy way..
To go.I need any specific Wireless Router?
Im more familar with Cox-high speed.Anyone with ATT done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
When I went wireless, the dude at RadioShack told me to just buy the cheapest router they had, since my computer was equipped with...whatever. That's what I did, and it worked really well. The router came with an installation CD and it told me exactly what to do. I did it with Cox, so I can't tell you how AT&T might be different. The router just hooked up to the modem from Cox.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 PM

82 posts, read 258,887 times
It is possible to run it wired off the modem, just depends on the location and your willingness to drill some holes etc. (On a side note, this is the BEST thing you could do. Wireless is all well and good, but nothing beats a hard line )

You will need to purchase a wireless modem. Cheap and effective modem would be the Linksys Wireless G (WRT54GS) or Linksys Wireless G with RangeBooster (WRV200). Both are 54Mbps.

You can go up to 108Mbps with the Netgear Wireless G (WPN824NA) or D-Link Wireless G Router (WBR-2310).

Of course if you REALLY want to step it up to the big dogs you can go get you a Cisco, for that one I would suggest Used Cisco Routers Used Cisco Equipment Used Modems

After you have your Wireless router you will need to get a wireless adapter for your machine.

I’ve used just about all of them out there. PCI card to USB adapters. I’ve not really found one that is better than any of the others.

Some brands that I’ve used.

TRENDNet
Linksys
Belkin
D-Link

They all seem to do about the same job. I would suggest matching up what ever you choose for the router, 108Mbps or 54Mbps.

As for hooking it up... that can be a pain or simple as can be. Would really need to know more about the modem ATT uses and the OS that you and your new roommate are going to be using before I could go into great detail about it.

Last edited by visualevo; 10-09-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,196,267 times
Yes, a wireless router would be the simplest way to go. Check your roomie's ATT modem... it may have more than one port or may be a wirelss modem/router. If so, you might be able to run a CAT5 directly to the ATT modem or go wireless.

If not then the router will be necessary. As visualevo says, hardwire is the best way to go, especially if you don't enjoy technical challenges. If running CAT5 around the place is not good then make sure the router is a wireless variety. That way you can hardwire or go wireless.

I got the cheapest Belkin wireless router I could find.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
my roommate and I just recently got ATT DSL service and the DSL modem they sent us has a built in router. heard this was a promotion that was going on in the fall. maybe you can ask if you can upgrade the modem if it's cheap to do so (though a decent modem can be bought for about $40-50 new)

Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
my roommate and I just recently got ATT DSL service and the DSL modem they sent us has a built in router. heard this was a promotion that was going on in the fall. maybe you can ask if you can upgrade the modem if it's cheap to do so (though a decent modem can be bought for about $40-50 new)
That is the way to go. I've been using the same AT&T router (formerly SBC Yahoo router) for the past 7 years and have a Linksys router (also for about 7 years) that I love. Never had any problems and the speed is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet