Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,299,354 times

Advertisements

My finace started a consulting business for restaurants.

He wants to focus mostly on the San Antonio area, but is willing to work else where.

So far, the website, his chief way of getting the word out there, is not really working.

There is traffic, but no business leads.

How can I get more traffic without paying for things like pop-up adds and that kind of annoying stuff. Legitimate ways.
We're currently paying for clicks on search engines, with no luck getting listed actually in the search engine.

Any other suggestions how a business like this could advertise for relatively small costs?

Check out the website if that will help you with suggestions...
Moderator- this is not an advertisment, but just a request for help.
The name is "The restaurant mentor dot com"

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,495,529 times
Ads are a perfectly legitimate way to drive business to your site. Get part of the google ads group.

Beyond that, word of mouth works really well.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM

712 posts, read 2,142,629 times
Seek out the keyword.. SEO
Search Engine Optimization

I would suggest a forum that delves in this however.. I can't remember any offhand

Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 AM

23,645 posts, read 23,964,766 times
A friend of mine does SEO - you can msg him here if interested. His username is stevenh.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,112,252 times
I was recently reading some stuff by this guy. He makes spelling errors, but does seem to know what he is talking about.

Here are couple more by the same guy: One and two.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 AM

305 posts, read 1,726,410 times
I've found Internet Marketing | HubSpot to be very helpful; it's good advice for beginners (and I knew nothing when I started). They have a website grader (Website Marketing SEO Score Tool) that rates your website according to the effectiveness of your SEO, the number of links you have, etc, so you have an idea of where to improve.

Search engine optimization is important for getting your website noticed by search engines; it's about figuring out what key words you want your website to be attached to and then coding your pages for those words in the meta data: the meta description, the keywords, the title of your pages, etc. It's not that difficult to do on your own; I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for you. There are tons of blogs and websites out there with advice for do-it-yourself SEO.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,082 times
Default Also, work some trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBebe View Post
Search engine optimization is important for getting your website noticed by search engines; it's about figuring out what key words you want your website to be attached to and then coding your pages for those words in the meta data: the meta description, the keywords, the title of your pages, etc. It's not that difficult to do on your own; I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for you. There are tons of blogs and websites out there with advice for do-it-yourself SEO.
I agree with the above. The best thing is to figure out how to do it yourself. Do not let anyone into your pocket. I've probably sent 100 or more responses to supposed SEO gurus that basically say, "OK, you do the SEO work needed to make me money and I'll split the money with you 50-50". Instead they all want the money upfront. They know that they are no more talented than the next guy. If they were, they would focus on making their own websites produce more money.

If you do not have the technical knowledge you can always make trades with other website owners that do. There are probably hundreds of thousands of website owners out there that can help you build a database driven content-rich website and they will want you do work for them in return. Everyone wants more quality traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet