Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 PM

617 posts, read 2,068,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
When you're accustomed to using an email client, it's hard to give it up. I held onto using Eudora until about 3 years ago. Now I prefer my hosted Gmail account.
I haven't given up my email client at all. I use Thunderbird for my pop accounts. (those tied to my websites, for instance) Before that, I used Eudora, Foxmail (not a Mozilla product), the email client that came with Opera, and in 1996, the email client that came with Netscape. I've never used Outlook or Outlook Express. Troubleshooting those when I worked Tech Support was as close I ever want to get to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,489,041 times
Btw... whats wrong with Pine?

I freaking LOVE Pine.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 AM

23,451 posts, read 23,792,574 times
I used Outlook from around '97 to about '99 or '00, but got tired of the issues/bugs. Switched to mutt and loved it. Used that until I swapped out my colo'd server, which is when I started using Thunderbird. That was about a year or two ago.

I miss mutt, though. I'm upgrading the server again soon, and once that's done I may switch back.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM

617 posts, read 2,068,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Btw... whats wrong with Pine?

I freaking LOVE Pine.
I used Pine at work but not at home. I think I may have installed it on a Win98 machine once. I can't remember now but I think I wanted to be able to set up several email accounts, as TB lets me, and Pine just didn't do that or didn't do it easily.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM

458 posts, read 1,266,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Actually, it is a problem with the provider - charter cable company's email.

They do not store anything in their system, unlike gmail, hotmail, and others. So, once an email is downloaded onto a computer other than my primary computer which has Outlook (where, of course, I can keep and file messages), I will not receive them on my primary computer in Outlook. The provider sends them one time only and then they are gone once read.

My only option is to forward any wanted messages to myself and not open them until I return home and sign onto Outlook. I need a provider that will also store my messages on their system.

I hope that doesn't sound like gobbelty-gouk!! It is difficult to explain without some graphics!
I'm sure you'll figure out the best one -- you so often do.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,249,189 times
Quote:

They do not store anything in their system, unlike gmail, hotmail, and others. So, once an email is downloaded onto a computer other than my primary computer which has Outlook (where, of course, I can keep and file messages), I will not receive them on my primary computer in Outlook. The provider sends them one time only and then they are gone once read.

My only option is to forward any wanted messages to myself and not open them until I return home and sign onto Outlook. I need a provider that will also store my messages on their system.

I hope that doesn't sound like gobbelty-gouk!! It is difficult to explain without some graphics!
I don't have charter but do have comcast, which from what I'm seeing, they are similar..
Charter
Choose POP3 server from the drop down window. Type mail.charter.net for the incoming mail server. Type mail.charter.net for the outgoing mail server.
Comcast
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net
Incoming mail (POP3): mail.comcast.net

As someone mentioned, it's usually a setting in the email client, something to the effect of leave messages on server. I actually used to do it this way, depends on what computers I was using. For the most part, I kept it set to download the messages but leave a copy online, then I could easily go online to read everything, or change that option on my computer when I didn't need it to do that any more.

Quote:

You mentioned you have kids that are computer smart, ask them to look at the preferences in outlook.

Also check out gmail. I haven't used my comcast email in so long.
Gmail gives you tons of features, online storage, online documents plus you can pull the mail on your computer in a mail program if you want.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM

38,619 posts, read 22,617,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I've had GMail for a few months and have seen very little spam - maybe once every one or two months I'll see one item that is spam.
My Gmail account has ZERO spam, even in the spam folder. But then, I don't use my Gmail account for general all-around use where the address has a chance of being exposed online. I use it mainly to receive some e-newsletters and to communicate with certain friends. Compared with the other web-based e-mail providers, Gmail's spam filtering is excellent.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
This is only kind of on topic, but it just occurred to me that I haven't changed my Yahoo mail password in 10 years or so, and as best I can tell it's never been hacked. All anyone who hacks it would find is a bunch of spam.

I get spam on my Gmail, but 99.9% ends up in the spam folder.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
My Yahoo! got hacked a few years ago. Couldnt retrieve the password that the changed. Was not a paying Yahoo! customer so they couldnt care less that my free email accounts password got changed. I used to mix my emails between paid email and private (my own paid for) domians. Now I exclusively deal with my paid service. You can get web space as well as unimited emails for about $50 a year which is well worth it to me. I get probably 1 spam a month (if even that) come through to my email and the downtime is 0, or unnoticeable.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 PM

116 posts, read 366,797 times
i think skimming through these posts, logmein.com remote into yr primary computer using outlook for the win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet