Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to run the video on this page. (http://www.kmbc.com/video/17768384/index.html - broken link) I'm sure there may be others, but this is the first example I've saved. I have downloaded and installed Silverlight. It working OK on Opera and IE. I'm trying to get it to run on FF.

I'm running XP/SP3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,608 times
Don't know what to tell you. I'm running FF, and it played fine for me. I don't have SP3, so maybe that has something to do with it...?

But that video....wow. That's totally uncalled for and inexcusable.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I thought it might have something to do with SP3, too. But I figured most people would have it (SP3), now, since it's been showing up in regular downloads. It saved me the trouble of trying to get a CD from them.

BTW, sorry about the content, but you know how people post links, and you sometimes have to see what they are talking about. I still don't know what's in there. I've just been trying to figure the problem out.

If nobody else shows up with a possible solution, I may go to a FireFox board. Surely I'm not the only one with the problem.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Let me make sure I understand your original question...

Are you having problems getting Silverlight to work in FF.....or the video?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Let me make sure I understand your original question...

Are you having problems getting Silverlight to work in FF.....or the video?
I thought at first it was Silverlight, since I was led to believe in one article that it takes the place of a number of different programs. But actually, it is the video that is not working at that site.

I found a link that said. "Still having problems? Click here for an alternate player. (http://www.kmbc.com/video_legacy/ - broken link)"

That one works. So I honestly don't know what player is the on the first one and which is on the second one, only that it works on Opera and IE, but not FF.

On the original page (http://www.kmbc.com/video/17768384/index.html - broken link), I see the download circle rotating, then I just see a big light-blue rectangle with nothing in it -- no audio or video.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 PM

As I said, I honestly can't imagine what would be causing the problem. Is your Flash updated? If Silverlight isn't the problem (though I honestly think it is), I can only think it must have something to do with SP3, because the video plays fine for me and I use FF 3.03. From the little bit of digging I've done online, it seems there isn't a solution for the problem. Does SP3 include Silverlight? If not, you could try to uninstall it and see if that helps. Truly, I don't know what else might be causing this. Have you tried going into your Tools menu and clicking on the Applications tab to see if video is assigned to open using Windows Media Player? You could maybe try downloading DivX Player, and assigning it as the default video player. Might help...?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Odd, it wasn't listed in the uninstall program, so I did a search, found all of the files, and then dragged and dropped them into my Inferno program. Still the same result... I see this:
http://www.kmbc.com/sh/flex3MediaPlayer/images/loading.gif (broken link)
and then it disappears, leaving the light blue background. There is a flash ad to the right of it. I do remember having trouble with Flash and Youtube, but updating my Adobe flash did the trick for those.

From my past experience, it could have something to do with the interplay of my own FF and hardware. For example, when I first downloaded FF2, there were some pages that didn't load the proper color. It took a week or two, but somebody finally figured out that a little change in one of the file settings was the key.

The only other thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary was losing my little sound icon. It wasn't hard to get it back, but I doubt that there are any settings on it that are different or would not, in any case, make a difference with this specific problem.

As I mentioned earlier, my other browsers have no problem at all, playing this particular video, which is what leads me to wonder if it has something to do with my FF, despite the fact that it works fine with your FF.

Looking at FF>Tools>Applications, I see that it says "Use Windows Media Player Plug-in," but when I click the little arrow, it shows that Real Player is the default. Could that be it? Seems to me there are times when RealPlayer runs and other occasions when Win Media Player runs.

Maybe I can get a hint during my weekend (Mon-Wed.) Seems like lately, I haven't had as much time to poke around.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post

The only other thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary was losing my little sound icon. It wasn't hard to get it back, but I doubt that there are any settings on it that are different or would not, in any case, make a difference with this specific problem.
It's possible that a missing or corrupt sound driver can affect media playback, but it's unlikely since you are able to view the video using IE or Opera.

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, my other browsers have no problem at all, playing this particular video, which is what leads me to wonder if it has something to do with my FF, despite the fact that it works fine with your FF.
You could try to uninstall FF, making sure to delete all registry entries, and then reinstall it to see if that helps. Make sure you back up your Bookmarks first.

Quote:
Looking at FF>Tools>Applications, I see that it says "Use Windows Media Player Plug-in," but when I click the little arrow, it shows that Real Player is the default. Could that be it? Seems to me there are times when RealPlayer runs and other occasions when Win Media Player runs.
You can change the default player and see if it does anything.

I might ask....are you able to use FF to watch all other videos on different websites, including other news sites and YouTube, etc....? If so, then I doubt there is anything wrong with your configuration, but instead the problem lies with that particular news site.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 PM

I did make Windows media player the default player, but I see no difference. I have noticed another anomalous site, though, at the Cnet boards. I have to guess where the search box is, and if I try to reply, I see no button to hit in order to make a reply. Hitting "enter" might get me to review it, but there is no way to actually make it final. I'm not seeing everything. For example, I can't see the the red "submit post" button. I can see it on Opera and IE. So it must not have anything to do with players.

I've thought about reloading FF.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM

I reloaded FF and I'm now able to see the video. The problem with Cnet remains (not being able to see buttons.) I wonder if anybody running FF has the same problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet