Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,460,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Tha age of the computer really means nothing, it can still have problems, don't go by that as to whether it might have a problem or not.
In my experience the more things started going wrong with the things is when they started going downhill! Although I agree,other than dropped connections and now things freezing,it may not mean the thing is burning out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,951,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
In my experience the more things started going wrong with the things is when they started going downhill! Although I agree,other than dropped connections and now things freezing,it may not mean the thing is burning out.
What I meant was, even if the PC is brand spankin new it can be the cause of a problem, it's age means nothing. You stated your PC was only a couple years old as if to rule it out as the problem, that does not rule it out.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM

So a new computer can suck right off? What are the odds of manufacturing defects? Anyway this prob didn't start until moving to a new house about a year ago,maybe the place is just haunted
Aside from that I do surf the net alot but do not do other heavy stuff on it like downloads,perhaps it has something to do with that?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,951,996 times
Quote:
So a new computer can suck right off? What are the odds of manufacturing defects? Anyway this prob didn't start until moving to a new house about a year ago,maybe the place is just haunted
Aside from that I do surf the net alot but do not do other heavy stuff on it like downloads,perhaps it has something to do with that?
It absolutely can, it's not defects usually, it's the bloatware that's installed on the PC. I can name you a list of manufacturers that ship new PC's that are loaded with crapware and are performance limited right out of the box. At the top of the list of the worst offenders is Sony, HP and Emachines are big offenders as well. Dell isn't too bad usually but has junk on it. This trial/demo bloatware is installed by PC mfg's for more income per PC, and to hopefully get you to purchase the full version of said crapware. Many of these apps load at startup and cripple performance or worse. Norton and Mcafee are known to cause no end of problems, Toshiba's have so many of their own utilities loading at startup that it boggles the mind. A Windows operating system is an ever changing thing, being modified by OS updates, software installations and removals, and other things that are not so nice, any one of these things can cause it to develope problems.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM

#1 We have AVG security(for what that's worth)
#2 We have Windows Vista...

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,220,796 times
StuckPA, when you say you have 'dropped connection', what really is happening? What kind of system message do get? What are you doing when the drop occurs? How do you re-connect? Does this happen at a particular time of day or nite, or random.

So, you have a Dell, a coupla years old. Are you using Norton AV or some other? Is the subscription up-to-date? How far are you from the Vz CO that serves your area (four blocks, 2 miles, 14,000 feet... something like that)?

The same thing happening with DSL as well as cable shouldn't be typical or at least points more to a local problem than a connectivity problem. The next time this happens run an IPCONFIG, looking for the quad number that results. If a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx then okay. If a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then report back as that would be connection between the PC and router is dropped. To do this, go to ....

click > Start
click > Run
type > CMD < in the box and enter. A black box will open
type > ipconfig < in the command line. You'll get a bunch of info, looking for IP Address.

Of course, if that number starts with something other than 192.x.x.x or 169.x.x.x that would be important as well.

Open a Task Manager > Ctrl/Alt/Del < and click on the Processes tab. At bottom left it should show the number of processes you have running. Something mid-twenties is okay. Sixty-five is critically tooooo many but many computers come built with whistles and bells running when not needed.

If you're in a densely populated area and/or more than 18,000 feet from you CO, that could be a problem. Is the PC hardwired to the router or wireless? How is that arranged... as in a six foot CAT5 unobstructed or 100foot CAT5 wrapped around an HVAC unit?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,623,168 times
Problem started after you moved? Plug in NIC or on the mobo? If it's plug in the first check is whether or not it's still seated properly.

Got a friend that will loan you a PC to test for a few to see if the problem persists on a different unit?

Heavy electrical in the area? See my post on the other, similar thread.
Cannot keep a secure Internet connection
Tennesseestorm

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
StuckPA, when you say you have 'dropped connection', what really is happening? What kind of system message do get? What are you doing when the drop occurs? How do you re-connect? Does this happen at a particular time of day or nite, or random.
How far are you from the Vz CO that serves your area (four blocks, 2 miles, 14,000 feet... something like that)?

The same thing happening with DSL as well as cable shouldn't be typical or at least points more to a local problem than a connectivity problem. The next time this happens run an IPCONFIG, looking for the quad number that results. If a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx then okay. If a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then report back as that would be connection between the PC and router is dropped.

If you're in a densely populated area and/or more than 18,000 feet from you CO, that could be a problem. Is the PC hardwired to the router or wireless?
As for your first question,basically when I try to open up Explorer it times out and says the page can't be displayed deal. When I look at connection it says it's connected but only 'locally' and therefore I cannot reach internet.
As far as what I'm doing,most times I just sat down and got on and it won't connect. It's weird but sometimes when I walk away from the computer and sit back down,if it was connected it may disconnect again.
Recently a tech suggested it may be the cell phone in my pocket even though I'm not using it.

Perhaps it's something in the room...as for your other question it is not hardwired to the router and is wireless. When I called Verizon tech support they suggested I go and get an ethernet cable,but my stubborn wife who is the techie around here with the computer maintains we don't need an ethernet cable b/c it is wireless. I say it can't hurt,we used to have a cable around somewhere.

As far as day or nite it happens at random times,and as for the Vz CO for my area...that may be another key. I don't recall having this problem when we lived closer to it,now we live a couple miles away. Although the tech I spoke to also mentioned that it's DSL and goes through the phone line so distance shouldn't matter(?) And it is a very densely populated city btw.

As for the quad number,the tech support usually has me go to a 168 number.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Got a friend that will loan you a PC to test for a few to see if the problem persists on a different unit?
Well we're actually running another pc off of the wireless connection on this one,and that computer barely has the connection problems the main one has!
At first I thought it might have something to do with this comp running Vista and the older one running XP.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,220,796 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's something in the room...as for your other question it is not hardwired to the router and is wireless. When I called Verizon tech support they suggested I go and get an ethernet cable,but my stubborn wife who is the techie around here with the computer maintains we don't need an ethernet cable b/c it is wireless. I say it can't hurt,we used to have a cable around somewhere.

As for the quad number,the tech support usually has me go to a 168 number.
There shouldn't really be a reason for a tech have you go to a 168.x.x.x number. That's a local machine, or as another poster called it 'nobody home'. Any PC with no internet configuration will always pull a 169.x.x.x. A 192.x.x.x is an IP assigned by a router.

The quad number I was looking for is what your IPCONFIG reports to your inquiry. If it is a 169.x.x.x then your PC is NOT talking to the router. That would be a wireless connectivity problem, local machine. If it is a 192.x.x.x then the PC IS talking to the router. Very simple. Very fool proof. The difference in the two reports > 169 or 192 dictates the direction for resolution.

Where is the router located? In the same room? UPstairs? In the garage? Are there electrical devices BETWEEN the router and the PC? Fridge? HVAC? Cable box or TV? Any lead lining in the walls? And yes, is there any kind of telephony device between the router and the PC? ALL of these things lead to understanding and resolving the connectivity issue. Right now, sounds to me like it's a wireless configuration. That would explain why either the cable or DSL BOTH had the problem.

Last edited by WillysB; 11-12-2008 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet