Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times

Advertisements

So I am doing some remodeling in one room of the house and took out the phone jack that was wired to the DSL modem and wireless router. Moved it to the living room and it worked fine. We then put together the jack(black and yellow got phone signal) and have no DSL throughout any jack of the house. I've had problems with the DSL not working from time to time and go outside to the connection and unplug the jack going from outside to inside and it usually resets it and begins to work. This time, nothing. I am going crazy with no internet at home when I need it. I am at work right now.

Only thing I can think of is to take apart the phone jack in the new room and hope it was inteferring with everything.

Any ideas...perhaps the jack was wired wrong? I should have looked to see how it was before, but did not. We have the black, yellow, red, green...Xmas and Halloween wires.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,628 times
Well, you know DSL requires filters for your phone(s) right?

You’re not plugging it into a filter jack are you? (there are some wall types out there)

I would also suggest and so would likely you ISP that you try plugging the modem into the outside line.. just to verify it works.. this will determine if it's a inside wiring problem = your problem or something in between you and the central office = their problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Yeah I have filters. I thought about plugging the modem into the outside line. I just didn't have time after work. It is really weird. I took apart the line in the new room hoping it would come back, but I still can't get on.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
I would not, could not, fault the phone company if during the course of a remodel in which I took down the main jack which carries DSL into my home I lost DSL connectivity. We may as well assume that the o.p. is the cause of the problem. There are four wires = 15 ways to mess things up. Perhaps the phone company can supply the correct colors for which pins of the jack. That is where I would start.

H

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
So I am doing some remodeling in one room of the house and took out the phone jack that was wired to the DSL modem and wireless router. Moved it to the living room and it worked fine. We then put together the jack(black and yellow got phone signal) and have no DSL throughout any jack of the house. I've had problems with the DSL not working from time to time and go outside to the connection and unplug the jack going from outside to inside and it usually resets it and begins to work. This time, nothing. I am going crazy with no internet at home when I need it. I am at work right now.

Only thing I can think of is to take apart the phone jack in the new room and hope it was inteferring with everything.

Any ideas...perhaps the jack was wired wrong? I should have looked to see how it was before, but did not. We have the black, yellow, red, green...Xmas and Halloween wires.

TIA
First, make sure that your modem is not in standby position!

Second, I think you should turn your modem off for about 10 minutes, so that it can reset itself.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM

We brought in another modem and no luck. Went directly from the outside box with both modems and no luck.

As far as what poster #4 is saying about MY fault...yea it could be. BUT it worked for weeks...then stopped working when I went to reconnect the jack in that room. We were using the other jack in the living room. So we unplugged it, reconnected in new room and no luck. Unplugged new room, reconnected in living room and no luck.

Modem is no in standby...and has been turned off and all that good stuff. Wireless (laptop and PS3) show 100% strength signal from wireless router, but there is no DSL activity for some reason.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
We brought in another modem and no luck. Went directly from the outside box with both modems and no luck.

As far as what poster #4 is saying about MY fault...yea it could be. BUT it worked for weeks...then stopped working when I went to reconnect the jack in that room. We were using the other jack in the living room. So we unplugged it, reconnected in new room and no luck. Unplugged new room, reconnected in living room and no luck.

Modem is no in standby...and has been turned off and all that good stuff. Wireless (laptop and PS3) show 100% strength signal from wireless router, but there is no DSL activity for some reason.
This is the line from your post that made me say that it might be your fault: >Any ideas...perhaps the jack was wired wrong? I should have looked to see how it was before, but did not. We have the black, yellow, red, green...Xmas and Halloween wires...< You are confusing me with your usage of 'disconnect' and 'reconnect'. If you simply unplugged the modem and plugged it in someplace else that is one thing. If you actually moved the jack itself thereby disconnecting the colored wires from their original positions and wired the jack in the new location from memory then that might have been your problem. Now you are saying that is not the case. But something else jumps out. Have you done a test with a direct hard wired connection between the modem and the laptop or desktop? I wouldn't rely on the wirelss link to tell me definitively what is happening or not happening with your DSL feed. BTW, bringing in another modem will not help. The MAC address of the original modem is the only one your ISP will 'talk' to unless they are told otherwise.

H

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM

I actually did a wired test from modem and outside box...the only thing I have not done is try my desktop, which I will do today after work hopefully.

The only jack i disconnected and reconnected (red/green, black/yellow) was the one in the new room. The living room just got unplugged from jack.

The modem lights tell me that the DSL is connected and working right, but I can't browse. I am online now at work searching AT&T for help.

Shows everything right and what I have, yet it still won't work. Weird.

Oh and the ethernet cables work, unless they magically stopped working...3 different ones. Same with telephone lines.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,628 times
While I don't claim to know how AT&T does dsl.. (not available here.. or if so re-sold) I do know that here.. it should go like this.. 1st the DSL light should link up.. then the modem sends a password via pppoA or pppoE to get a ip address complete the login.. so if this is a brand new modem.. maybe you haven't set the password and if not.. maybe you just need to double check the settings are right in the modem..

Also understand that if the light's linking up.. then your inside wiring should = fine.. and you can call your ISP for tech support..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 AM

I called and figured it out. Haven't tried it on the phone jack in the new room, but in living room it worked. She basically just had me reset the modem (again) and check some settings. I guess the connections were changed and we deleted and added them again...enabling and disabling certain ones. I don't use this laptop so I'm not sure if the user did something or what happened, but it now works.

Perhaps the modem being reset required a change in the settings on the computer and a user is and PW...not sure.

Thanks everyone for the help though. I wish I took the time to look at the network settings, as it was real simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet