Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,297,954 times

Advertisements

I have a facebook page, but it's bare as hell! I'm not really a fan of these types of sites, maybe b/c I can never find the drive to make the page look pretty or "friend" a bunch of people I barely know or hardly remember. right now, I think I have 7 friends on my FB page (3 of whom are people I kind of knew in HS but can't really consider friends. none of my relatives on on there yet b/c they still think it's only for college students for some stupid reason). I also don't like having pictures of myself floating around, so all the pics I have on there are pictures of my previous pets and some scenery. IDK, it just seems like a lot of work getting it set up and friending enough people so you don't look like a complete loser (granted, I don't want to be one of those people who befriends all sorts of random people just so they can boast about the number of friends they have).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,400,833 times
Nope, I don't have a page on FB. My family and friends are all on there. If my friends/family want to share something with me then I tell them to email or call me

Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,414,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I'm on FB and my daughter (high schooler) is too. We're "friends" and she knows I monitor her account - and yes I know her password too.

A lot of her friends created myspaces in middle school and their parents didn't have a clue.

When she was in middle school, the big thing was AIM (AOL instant messaging). I didn't like that at all..

Just recently I had business dealings with a father who SWORE his 9th grade daughter didn't have a FB..... later that day I searched his daughter and you guessed it.. not only did she have a FB but she had 300+ friends !

Now I hear of 5th and 6th graders getting facebooks... usually without their parents consent.
I read your comments, and just want to reach out in this cyber world and tell parents to "please" be careful , it was posted on CNN.com yesterday that not so nice ppl are beginning to get into face book acct's as was done with myspace site... We as parents don't need this happening..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
I read your comments, and just want to reach out in this cyber world and tell parents to "please" be careful , it was posted on CNN.com yesterday that not so nice ppl are beginning to get into face book acct's as was done with myspace site... We as parents don't need this happening..
Facebook's response to that story is that the company has never "had to handle a case of a registered sex offender meeting a minor through Facebook."

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,512,069 times
I have a Facebook page and I do use it. The main things I like to post are videos and pictures for my family to see. Truthfully, I don't talk to my "friends" all that much. I have 78 but I only talk to about 10.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 AM

668 posts, read 2,179,240 times
I had a face book account, and I went to shut it down, to completely eliminate it....but, the thing would only let me "deactivate it" ...so that sometime in the future, if I wanted to come back to it, all I had to do was put in my old password.

What happened to the notion that we could control our own account? I wanted OFF the site compoletely, but unfortunately, Facebook had other ideas... So, my information is still there, and if I had known that, I would have eliminated everything before I even tried to leave...sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-26-2009, 04:51 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,401,218 times
Common misconception. People, when you sign up for these sites, read the TOS! Anything you do on the site is THEIRS. Legally. Nothing you can do about it. Why? Because you agreed to it in the TOS.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,496,195 times
facebook is great - i don't use the others not even twitter. Since I've been on people I hadn't seen in years have found me thorough this.

Its a good place to post pictures - and I have a wildlife area so there's a few of pet rabbits and possums. I also explore the country looking at old buildings and have some great ones in another folder on there.

I don't really have any business use for it -maybe to make friends when I travel or for those who travel here - to the beaches etc

Anyone wanting to see just drop me a line or send me a direct message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM

309 posts, read 1,023,123 times
I have an account, haven't updated it lately. I'd say it is there for people to get ahold of me no matter where I move, what numbers I change, etc. I don't get into any of the "apps" and pretty much just deny everything. I'm not really "Y" generation material (32 y/o) so maybe that is it. Or it could be I realize my life is boring and nobody cares if I went the bar.

My wife on the other hand, posts all of her pictures on there, looks at everybody elses pictures and logs in every day to write on walls or whatever (she is 25 though - more of a "her generation" thing perhaps).

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 AM

830 posts, read 2,852,633 times
I don't understand the whole myspace, facebook, twitter thing. I guess I really don't care to keep up with every thing everyone I know does at every second of the day. I've gotten through life pretty well so far. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet