Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And everything that the site you are connected to wants to do, such as harvest your email address. IE (all versions) run ActiveX by default, you are not in control of your browser, it is a major security flaw.
I still wonder why I've never had any problems at all with it despite everyones prediction of doom if you don't switch to firefox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I still wonder why I've never had any problems
yet

Quote:
The recent spate of ActiveX vulnerabilities has led the US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to recommend that users disable all ActiveX controls. Vulnerabilities have been disclosed in ActiveX controls in the Facebook and MySpace social network sites and Yahoo! Messenger, Instant Messenger and Music Jukebox media player. Internet Explorer users can disable ActiveX controls by setting the browser's security level to "high."
SANS Institute - SANS NewsBites

People are free to be as reckless as they choose. Most make the choice through a thorough lack of knowledge.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
yet

SANS Institute - SANS NewsBites

People are free to be as reckless as they choose. Most make the choice through a thorough lack of knowledge.
Yet? You mean after 15 years of use with no problems that still isn't enough to convince you that IE isn't as bad as you and the other firefox fanboys claim? Give me a break.

Maybe you need to adjust your surfing habits and apply a bit more common sense rather than blaming the web browser for your troubles.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yet? You mean after 15 years of use with no problems that still isn't enough to convince you that IE isn't as bad as you and the other firefox fanboys claim? Give me a break.

Maybe you need to adjust your surfing habits and apply a bit more common sense rather than blaming the web browser for your troubles.
There you go, an anonymous "expert" in NH, that has been using IE longer than IE has actually existed, and his vast knowledge and expertise trumps the recommendation of SANS, the most trusted & by far the largest source for information security training, certification & research in the world.

OBTW Dave, where I go on the internet is NOYFB, and for the record I have never had a problem and my common sense is fine. In fact common sense tells me to listen to security experts than some anonymous Dave in NH, simply because I don't know his credentials, other than he doesn't like FF. Enjoy your IE bloatware, I'll stick with FF which is much more powerful, feature packed, and customizable.

I also tightly control Java, another serious security flaw, using FF NoScript addon that gives me control of which sites I allow to execute code on my computers, not M$ or some random site. But if your world consists solely of surfing microsoft.com, then I guess none of this is necessary.

I was also using Mosaic before IE existed, and everything was text based.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 02-26-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
But if your world consists solely of surfing microsoft.com, then I guess none of this is necessary.
None of this is necessary period, if you know how to manage your system. And BTW, IE 1.0 was officially released with Windows 95, which I tested, this is 2009, if you can't do the math that's 14 years, plus the beta time gets us to 15.

I can find plenty of sites that claim FF is crap, so all your praise for it is nothing but opinion.

I really don't give a flyin rats a$$ what you or anyone uses for a web browser, but trying to push your opinion on people as fact helps no one, and calling someone reckless for there choice of web browser just shows how much you only think you know.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I really don't give a flyin rats a$$ what you or anyone uses for a web browser, but trying to push your opinion on people as fact helps no one, and calling someone reckless for there choice of web browser just shows how much you only think you know.
Gosh, I express my opinion, and back that opinion up with facts from security experts. You have supported your opinion with what?

Not sure when ActiveX was included (don't really care) in IE, but in the text only based world of the internet of the early and mid 90's it wasn't an issue, and the threats were nonexistent to minimal at best.

Please feel free to list your network security certifications here.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
Somehow I get the feeling you guys aren't going to resolve this anytime soon . . .

By the way, Opera's a good browser that doesn't get enough recognition. It's even a smaller download than FF, although I don't think you can do quite as much to disable java and block ads.

I don't mind most ads - it's how websites can afford to provide content, after all, but some are really annoying.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM

My annoyance with Opera, but primarily with Apple is their philosophy of attempting to install it on computers that use iTunes. The wife didn't pay enough attention to an iTunes update and it also installed Opera, which hosed Windows. 3 hours later I got Opera extracted and Windows working again.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
I think you mean Safari. Opera has nothing to do with Apple.

I agree about Safari; it's annoying that Apple bundles it with iTunes.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I think you mean Safari. Opera has nothing to do with Apple.

I agree about Safari; it's annoying that Apple bundles it with iTunes.
Oops my bad, it was Safari that hosed her laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet