Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,449,745 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Google's ambitious plan to offer a 3-D street level view of communities across three continents hit a snag when angry residents of a UK village blocked the search engine's camera car from photographing their homes.

Gang of villagers chase away Google car - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 PM

905 posts, read 2,393,929 times
That's insane...will they chase down any car because "they might burglarize me!!"

They are driving on a public road. If I was the Google driver, I'd tell him..well something not nice.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM

13,574 posts, read 15,538,991 times
Typical rich people -- I don't suppose they offered a better job to the driver of the car who probably makes minimum wage...

Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 AM

Also, if the UK economy is anything like ours right now, they're truly foolish for screwing with somebody's job like that. Some people did that to me years ago -- had fun customizing the paintwork on the cars in their driveway late one night.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,853,371 times
I agree with them, these images especially combined with the overhead satellite imagery provide an easy way for any criminal to scout out locations from the comfort of a chair. They have pictures of my backyard, because of the proximity of the fence to the road and the high angle this view goes way beyond what you could see if you were standing on the road.

Having said that whether Google is in the right really depends on the local laws and if that was private property. Google cannot go onto private property and they often do. There has been many cases cited, one even where the driver drove up a long private driveway clearly marked private and snapped pictures of the house.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I agree with them, these images especially combined with the overhead satellite imagery provide an easy way for any criminal to scout out locations from the comfort of a chair. They have pictures of my backyard, because of the proximity of the fence to the road and the high angle this view goes way beyond what you could see if you were standing on the road.
Pilots and passengers in airplanes, helicopters, blimps, hot air balloons, etc. can see into your backyard as well, and quite legally unless your house is under restricted or prohibited airspace. Regarding the front of your house, have your considered taller hedges?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,508,807 times
This will probably end with a group of pissed off people listing and tracking Google's Senior Officers and Board of Directors with cameras, and live-on-line video linking.

See how they like their own crap dumped on them.

Maybe a new hot website . . .

I just checked -- googlewatch.com is taken, but googlewatch.net is available.

This could be big, baby Big!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM

So you're endorsing the stalking of people because somebody took a still photograph of a home on a public street?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM

635 posts, read 1,682,640 times
But really, everyone knows rich people own torches especially in Europe ... that's where the saying, "pass the torch" comes from and specifically, the torch is lit when they don't like something because then, they transform into "villagers". Oh yeah, its true. I got a pic to prove it Neighborhood Watch totally megafreaked!

Yeah, see. And in Europe Google spelled backwards is elgooG and elgooG goes around duplicating or mirroring everything which could lead to entire villages aka pretorch wealthy neighborhoods being cloned. Who would know what is real anymore? Man, you guys, like PhillipT said, this is BIG!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM

20 posts, read 48,337 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Also, if the UK economy is anything like ours right now, they're truly foolish for screwing with somebody's job like that. Some people did that to me years ago -- had fun customizing the paintwork on the cars in their driveway late one night.
Too funny... FLares work well with those types of "customizations" I am told...
Not that I would EVER try...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet