Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Web Browser do you use?
Internet Explorer 6 8 20.00%
Internet Explorer 7 7 17.50%
FireFox 11 27.50%
Safari 2 5.00%
Opera 2 5.00%
Netscape 2 5.00%
Sea Monkey 0 0%
Avant 0 0%
Camino 0 0%
Other 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM

578 posts, read 3,058,951 times

Advertisements

Which web browser do you use and why, if other explain which browser it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...ou-prefer.html
2nd page!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 PM

11,365 posts, read 24,324,834 times
I've been using Firefox as my default browser over two years now. My problem is that certain websites still don't work well with it. See NAH's complaints for more info on that. Also can't update my Microsoft products while using Firefox, but I guess that makes sense. For that I simply switch to IE, which I've already upgraded to 7. No problems with it thus far, but I simply don't use it.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:03 PM

677 posts, read 4,198,553 times
My husband converted me to Firefox two years ago and I've never looked back. One option you left out of your poll is AOL, which uses some horrible mutation of Internet Explorer. The absolute worst is AOL for Mac - nothing works and it freezes almost every time.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM

192 posts, read 863,095 times
I have been using Firefox for about two years; before that, I used Netscape. I have never, ever liked IE. I bought my first Windows-based computer in 1996 (before that, all I used was DOS) and even then I quickly switched to Netscape simply because I didn't care for the way IE worked.

When I used Netscape, I also used Netscape for email. When I switched to Firefox, I began using Thunderbird for email. Mozilla does make a suite but from all I have read, it is better to use Firefox and Thunderbird as separate standalones.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM

578 posts, read 3,058,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
I have been using Firefox for about two years; before that, I used Netscape. I have never, ever liked IE. I bought my first Windows-based computer in 1996 (before that, all I used was DOS) and even then I quickly switched to Netscape simply because I didn't care for the way IE worked.

When I used Netscape, I also used Netscape for email. When I switched to Firefox, I began using Thunderbird for email. Mozilla does make a suite but from all I have read, it is better to use Firefox and Thunderbird as separate standalones.
I think the suite is sea monkey by Mozilla I used it for about a month it has the browser, e.mail together its only in a beta stage but its already better than IE.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,151,257 times
I switched to Firefox last fall when I got some nasty malware that took almost week to get rid of. I have only hit one site that did not support Firefox, and that was NAH's site. Tracking cookies & spam are 95% reduced, and pop-ups just never happen.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,082,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I've been using Firefox as my default browser over two years now. My problem is that certain websites still don't work well with it. See NAH's complaints for more info on that. Also can't update my Microsoft products while using Firefox, but I guess that makes sense. For that I simply switch to IE, which I've already upgraded to 7. No problems with it thus far, but I simply don't use it.

How do you switch back and forth from Foxfire to IE? I also have IE-7.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 PM

11,365 posts, read 24,324,834 times
I have little icons on my desktop. They show up when you install the browser. Firefox will ask you if you want to use it as your default browser, IE probably does too. I think you can change this in your internet preferences menu.

Anytime I can't figure out how to do something, I type it into google as simply as possible like "change default browser." Not patient enough to read long-winded directions.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,381,806 times
Okay, so everyone knows, Mozilla says it right in one of their pages.

It's not FoxFire, Foxfire, FireFox, Fire fox, Fox Fire, Fox fire, Fire fox, Fire Fox...

It's Firefox. Plain and simple.

Anyways, this topic is redundant and has already been asked.

As for the choices,

Firefox, Sea Monkey, Netscape, and Camino are all the same thing. They may have different features, but they all use the Gecko engine. Hence they are all basically Firefox, with more features and Camino is Mac.(And I said Firefox and not the Mozilla Suite, because they have discontinued updating that, which is where Sea Monkey comes into play now)

So is safari, but with Camino... Enough said.

IE-6 and IE-7 are both garbage, Microsoft basically stole as much as they could from Mozilla and integrated it with IE-7 because they know it's garbage.

Avant, never heard of it.

Opera, I think it's garbage, Nintendo should of went with Mozilla. Big mistake on their part. Whatever.

As for other, I use Lynx sometimes, and a few others that most people won't know if you've never touched Linux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet