Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Actually it could be lesser of evils as I recently downloaded IE8 and it is crap too, freezing on me.
If all your browsers are freezing on you then you might want to look elswhere for the cause such as OS issues or malware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Since we are already here, I have another FireFox question:

Up until yesterday, all my sites remembered who I was, and I remained logged in. But now, every time I close my browser, I have to log in again at every site (including this one). What can I do to restore the default of keeping me logged in even when I close my FireFox browser?
More on this. Ive cleared all cookies, and logged in again. No go. I've rebooted, logged in again, closed browser, gone back to site, had to relog.

Ive made sure the box is un-checked that says "Always clear private data". Still no go. All the new cookies are there, in my cookies list. (Of course, so is doubleclick.net)

One online Q/A said I have to back up my bookmarks, uninstall Firefox, and reinstall. Anybody concur?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-12-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
More on this. Ive cleared all cookies, and logged in again. No go. I've rebooted, logged in again, closed browser, gone back to site, had to relog.

Ive made sure the box is un-checked that says "Always clear private data". Still no go. All the new cookies are there, in my cookies list. (Of course, so is doubleclick.net)

One online Q/A said I have to back up my bookmarks, uninstall Firefox, and reinstall. Anybody concur?
It can't hurt. But as the starter of this thread found out, certain settings can be retained through an uninstall/reinstall cycle. You might want to uninstall, reboot, then search the system for anything named Firefox or Mozilla and delete them manually before reinstalling. Places to look include the registry, c:\program files, c:\program files\common files, and c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings, and c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks. Can I find them all just by using the start-button search facility, or are there other places for them to hide?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Thanks. Can I find them all just by using the start-button search facility, or are there other places for them to hide?
I wouldn't rely on the search function in XP. It can't find stuff half the time and a lot of what you're looking for is marked as hidden anyway. Make sure Explorer is set to display hidden files by going to tools, folder options, view tab, and set "show hidden files and folders". Then go digging around the places I listed above and delete any Mozilla or Firefox folders.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Now I'm having another FireFox problem. In my mail programs (both Gmail and Yahoo) it sometimes refuses to let me cut/paste text into the text entry field. Doesn't matter if I'm using right-mouse or Toolbar-Edit.. But if I cut/past to notebook, then cut/paste from there, it often works.

So now I'm ready to uninstall FireFox, and hope that I find all their hidden stuff. The big question is this:

Why on earth would I want to re-install it??????

Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Have you gone through an upgrade? FF can upgrade automatically, and with any upgrade can sometimes fail...and sometimes forcing an upgrade can fix obscure problems like this...

Old 04-25-2009, 04:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Since we are already here, I have another FireFox question:

Up until yesterday, all my sites remembered who I was, and I remained logged in. But now, every time I close my browser, I have to log in again at every site (including this one). What can I do to restore the default of keeping me logged in even when I close my FireFox browser?
I know this is a bit late, but Tools/Options/Security add a check to the box "Remember passwords for sites"

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I know this is a bit late, but Tools/Options/Security add a check to the box "Remember passwords for sites"
What do you think about using a master password?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 PM

It still remembers them. It just opens the browser with all of them logged out and requiring a new manual log-on. Sometimes they're already filled and all I have to is hit Enter. But I never used to have to do that, and in IExplore, I still don't have to. Even when I reboot, I'm still logged into everything at IE and Nothing at FF.

I just ran an upgrade to FireFox 3.0.9. It took all of two seconds for it to sniff my system and decide it didn't find anything that could be corrected. It did show a box saying "a little housekeeping" for less than a second, I guess that was the sniff. No change.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet