Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM

821 posts, read 2,004,671 times

Advertisements

when I type something into the address bar, it goes to an ICQ search engine (that is new as of this week)
I want it changed back to the google search engine
how do I do that

thanks
Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,129,399 times
If you didn't change it, then you may want to consider running a virus scan and spyware scan of your computer, because it shouldn't have changed on its own. What browser are you using?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 PM

IE
just this week IE did an automatic update and changed to IE8
and I also got a new phone Palm Pre and was trying to upload my contact info
to do that from my old palm, I had to upgrade that program
so, I think when the IE updated and the palm thing updated
it did something

one thing it did was wipe out everything from my Inbox on Outlook Express and all the subfolders

Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Oh joy. I haven't downloaded IE 8, and only use IE 7 on a limited basis - but I can't imagine why they wouldn't import your previous settings after doing the update. Seems like that would be a reasonable thing to me. Likewise, deleting the email from your Inbox is uncalled for.

From what I've read online, you should see a little down arrow to the right of the address bar. Enter a word in the box and then click on the little arrow. There should be an option that allows you to find a new search provider. You would simply need to locate Google and then set it as the default. HOWEVER...I'm just winging this, since I don't use IE8. I'm sure if I'm mistaken, someone else will come along to help you.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:20 PM

ok, where my address bar, there is not a little arrow
but then I have this other box over from it and it looks like an address bar with a down arrow, I type in it and it opens up to google web page
so, looks like I have 2 address bars now
need to get rid of one of them

Old 06-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Well, if what you're describing is what I think you're describing, you really can't get rid of either one. The address bar is where you type the specific URL to a site you want to go to, while the other bar is the actual search bar that takes you to Google.

Not to sound like a smart-alec, but have you considered switching to Firefox? You can search from the address bar itself, and it's much more customizable.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM

ok, your correct, one is address bar (that is where I put something in and it opens it up with a an ICQ search, I have uninstalled ICQ thinking that it would go away and rebooted and it still works that way)
the other is the google search bar

no, have not thought about FireFox
don't know anything about it, except seeing the name on here
will check it out

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,803,069 times
Rachel, Since you have a google search box, I assume that you are using a google toolbar?? If so just right-click on the google button and and choose google toolbar options. (Or look for a little blue wrench on the right-hand side)

The opening page will give you the option to reset your search to Google.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Rachel, Since you have a google search box, I assume that you are using a google toolbar?? If so just right-click on the google button and and choose google toolbar options. (Or look for a little blue wrench on the right-hand side)

The opening page will give you the option to reset your search to Google.
Newer versions of IE have a customizable search box, you can select which search provider to use, no add-on toolbars necessary.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM

ok, I went to control panel and where you add and remove programs
found an ICQ tool bar that I uninstalled
that helped
now I have the address bar and a google search thingy
found the blue wrench
thanks
I think it's working like it used to now (until I do something else and screw it up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet