Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times

Advertisements

I have installed at least 2 BT programs (BitTorrent and "utorrent") but don't see where you say "look for this and if avail go get it" - ?

edit: I have gotten at least one going ("btjunkie") but what the heck is "FLAC"

edit 2: dowloads are ridiculously slow - currently about 2-4Kb/sec. No I am not on dial up! And connection otherwise seems fine. ??

Last edited by joey2000; 06-27-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 AM

update, OK I've been clued in on "flac" files. IMO they are not worth the incredibly huge size diff from mp3s but if that's all I can get I guess I'll take it. But I can't find a flac player anywhere (surprise, windows' media player can't handle it). Anyone? Thx

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
You need seeders and peers to get a fast download rate -- the more the faster you'll go to a point. Also, most torrents are slow to start, but as you get more pieces to trade with other peers, you'll pick up speed. I've downloaded as fast as 90 kb/s, which is the maximum my DSL allows. If one torrent is too slow, try others until you find a fast one. Also, don't be a leecher -- seed when you're done so other can enjoy what you've downloaded as well.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
You can play FLAC with WinAmp. If you are getting slow speeds you probably need to open a port on your router. When you open BitTorrent there be a symbol near the bottom that is either a exclamation point, triangle or check mark. If it is one of the first two, click on it and you can find instructions on how to open the port.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Actually I think you need to download add-ons for winamp but thx - I found this thing called "foobar" that works fine.

Didn't see the symbols you mentioned, but no big, I'm patient. Thx

Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
I use utorrent - I think it's a little faster for some reason. I can get up to 200 k per second if there are enough seeders. And utorrent also lets you pick and choose individual files within the torrent, so I don't need to download a huge torrent if I only want one file.

The key is finding torrents with lots of seeds. Torrent search engines will show a lot of torrents that hardly anyone is seeding, which makes your download speed really slow.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,885 times
utorrent is great! I use it and love the options it has set. If you're downloading is slow, make sure your ports are forwarded correctly also. It is a program that rewards sharing, the more you share, the faster you download.

Also, FLAC files are infinitely better than lossy, crappy mp3 files. Anybody with a working pair or ears can hear the difference in the two formats. Winamp, foobar200 and even WMP with a codec pack can play them. I try to only get lossless formats, since external hard drives are so cheap now. I just purchased another 1TB HD to keep going. I am ripping all of my CDs as backups and want perfect copies, thus lossless FLAC is perfect in case the originals are damaged.
Right now I'm somewhere around 9k FLACs and trying to replace most mp3s I have.

Oh yeah avoid The Pirate Bay, since they sold out and will very soon be a shell of what it used to be.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 PM

80 posts, read 156,033 times
Whenever you are looking for a specific file, use the sort button and sort by "seeders descending". It'll list the seeders from high to low. You typically select the torrent with high seeding. When torrenting, you usually want to keep a decent ratio of 1.000++ (1:1) (upload:download). Many people hate torrenters who "hit and run", but most do it anyways. Hit and run refers to people who quickly download the file, closes the connection, and not upload it. I use the website, Demonoid.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:46 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,885 times
I always make sure to seed, I can't stand people who just leech.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post

Oh yeah avoid The Pirate Bay, since they sold out and will very soon be a shell of what it used to be.

What will be the next best thing to TPB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet