Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times

Advertisements

Im not sure this is the best forum for this, but I was in a discussion the other day about reporting questionable internet content.

My argument was this, there are a number of places you can report stuff to, some non profits, the FBI, local law enforcement, etc.

Say you are surfing along, or you open your email, and click on a link you think is one thing, or described as one thing, and you end up at an objectionable website, or maybe your computer got hijacked and sent you that way. Some of these sites (non profits/FBI) will urge you to report these finds, so that they may forward the information to proper law enforcement/investigate.

Here is the thing, from what I understand, the minute you hit that questionable web site, a whole bunch of temp internet files are created, including images, cookies, blah blah. Also from what I understand, government agencies have the ability to forensically recover items that were deleted and even over written/reformatted. Finally, I believe people have been actually tried and convicted on little more then the recovery of deleted temp internet files.

So, what is the motivation for a person to report such sites if they ended up landing on them? Wouldnt the simple fact they reported a site almost be probable cause to search the reporter, and the fact that they were on the site at all, likely gathering enough temp internet content be enough to convict them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
I think if you're being honest you don't have anything to worry about. Certainly if law enforcement started doing that people would not be willing to report it and that would ultimately be detrimental to future investigations.

Good points though about actually getting into trouble through no fault of your own. Certainly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Also from what I understand, government agencies have the ability to forensically recover items that were deleted and even over written/reformatted.
Recovery of deleted files or on a reformatted drive is possible, even if you wanted to do it yourself. Recovery of overwritten data is a stretch. Most of the security software will overwite it numerous times. To suggest it could be recovered would suggest a drive could hold an infinite amount of data. I did read an article recently in regards to recovery on an atomic level but I believe that was theory and certainly not something common in law enforcement even it were possible.

Where people do get into trouble with overwritten data is the slack space. You're drive is divided up into clusters and each cluster can have X amount data within it. Two files cannot be writtien to the same cluster so if you have 4kb clusters and write 1 5kb file you do have not overwritten all the data in the cluster. This can result in partial recovery of files.

The better security wiping applications will wipe this slack space too.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Reporting it does nothing, if one server gets taken down, another will replace it, it's a trivial matter to relocate offensive material and keep it online. Not to mention there are no international laws, and much of the stuff you see isn't in the US, thus there's nothing the FBI or any US agency can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet