Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will not having PayPal as a payment option keep you from buying?
Yes - if PayPal is not offered I will NOT buy! 5 11.63%
No - I don't care if PayPal is offered or not. I will still buy. 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,718 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been discussing this issue with some others lately and am curious as to what a poll will show about whether or not using PayPal means anything to people making up their mind about whether to buy something on the internet or not.

I will follow this up with a couple of other polls once I get a general feel for the relative importance of PayPal itself through this poll. I realize that there may be much more involved in the buying decision than just PayPal but through this poll I am trying to gauge how important PayPal is as an issue by itself.

To me personally I could care less but that may not be the case for many others.

If using PayPal is super important to you answer YES.
If issues other than whether PayPal is made available is more important to you answer NO.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 08-28-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Added explanatory note...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
I refuse to use Paypal due to their demand for intrusion into my accounts that they have no need to have.

Many of their practices are simply not acceptable to me, nor should they be to anyone. Example: They demand that they retain your credit card information in their database. If you delete a credit card from your Paypal account, you cannot use that credit card again for paypal purchases. Now think about this a minute, if you remove your CC info from paypal, how do they know you are using that card again? Cause they lied, they just disable but retain your CC information.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM

I agree with your general views against using PayPal Asheville. Personally I can't stand them as a company or how they do business but I have to decide whether to use them in my online business and I want that decision to not be an emotional one for me but a carefully thought out one based on polling data. At least to the degree that I can seperate my emotions from my decision.

I noticed that you did not vote Asheville. How about voting?

Carlos

Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I don't think he needs to vote. It's pretty obvious where his vote will end up.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 PM

Yes...it's pretty obvious and this poll is certainly voluntary but it would be nice to get all opinions counted in the poll. I am running this poll on another forum too and am finding that some people will absolutely not buy unless PayPal is offered which is hard for me to understand. I am trying to wrap my head around that but hey...if that is the way some people feel I may have to use PayPal even though I can't stand them personally. Or at least address the concern that would prevent people from buying on my payment page if I can do so.

Carlos

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
It seemed like e-bay was going through something a few months back where they did not want to accept anything but pay-pal.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM

Not everyone is voting in my poll.

Somebody get me a cleanex...sniffle, sniffle.

So much for my scientific polling LOL.

Carlos

Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It seemed like e-bay was going through something a few months back where they did not want to accept anything but pay-pal.
They no longer allow payments by mail for their auctions.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM

What exactly was payment by mail Bowie? Carlos

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Doesn't ebay own paypal hence the reason for only wanting to accept it? I'll still make purchases online without it, but I liked the concept that you don't have to pass your credit card information around to a billion places you just send it to one place which I assume would reduce identity or account theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet